Please suggest a backhand rubber with less catapult effect than Rakza 7 soft

This user has no status.
Hi, I know it's the technique, not the rubber, but maybe some rubbers are easier to use when working on a certain technique? I just got a chance to get some group coaching sessions and we are working on the backhand topspin against backspin - I have a very hard time lifting the ball with the Yasaka Shining/Rising Dragon setup which I have now. I tried Rakza 7 soft on the backhand, but then I just cannot adapt to that springy catapult feeling in the short game. Does such thing exist - a softer rubber to easier lift the ball while developing my backhand but with no catapult? I also tried Xiom Vega Europe and the legendary Mark V - still too much bounce. Shining dragon actually feels so great on every shot I try to make except lifting the ball from underspin. Thanks a lot for your thoughts in advance!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
You would get used to the catapult pretty quickly, at least I did with xiom vega x which is faster then those rubbers you have named, and I was coming of a premade Donic shildkrot racket which is very slow. You should decide for yourself, but I think it's not that hard to get used to a little bit faster setup.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Keep either the Shining or Rising Dragon on the FH for the short game and go with the new Rakza Z on the BH at 2.0 for backspin openers?

The sensation of tacky rubbers is totally different and once you get used to it, it takes time to switch to grippy rubbers.

Reactions: doppelganger_LT
He said Mark V was too bounce. No way he will like Vega X or Vega Pro
I did not see the Mark V. If he has problems controlling Mark V then he needs a slower rubber like a Chinese rubber that is not too tacky. The problem here is technique and level.

Revspin reviews for Nittaku Factive sound amazing for my purpose. And the EJ bug is still strong within me - tt11 has a special discount for rakza Z so I just ordered both the Z and Factive to try [emoji38] both in 2 mm.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Once you get to play with the rubbers sufficiently, please post your opinion. I am curious on how they play and feel. Some of the Revspin.net reviews don't provide much details or not very helpful. Thanks a lot in advance.

Reactions: doppelganger_LT
This user has no status.
Absolutely! Just keep in mind that I am a beginner/intermediate player. Although now that I have a group of 12 people and a coach to train and play with, I can really test the rubbers, not like when I was testing just against the robot. We have a few choppers and some quite heavy hitters, so quite a variety of players. I'm among the weakest in the bunch, usually keeping in the game just because of my serves - I had no one to play against, so I was honing my serving skills with 150 balls for about an hour every day for a few months :D

Once you get to play with the rubbers sufficiently, please post your opinion. I am curious on how they play and feel. Some of the Revspin.net reviews don't provide much details or not very helpful. Thanks a lot in advance.

Jan 2018
Ya, he couldn't get his shots to curve down when playing on MLin Extra Special. At 3:50 or so, he points out that the trajectory is so high, actually even higher than the Rising Dragon that he's using, which took him by surprise. At 4:46, he says he couldn't hit in a straight line with Rakza Z, not even with a flat drive. At 6:57, the on-screen caption reads "Jintaku who can't stop hitting long", then he says he's never hit the net once during filming. At 7:34, he points out it is different from Chinese rubbers and is a brand-new feeling.

OTOH, Reinforce AC actually fits him better, coming from a guy who "always goes back to all-wood after trying various composite." It overturns his understanding of composite, especially carbon that flies straight. This setup feels closer to the Rising Dragon.

"Straight trajectory of carbon x super trajectory of Rakza Z is a good match!"
"Curved trajectory of all-wood x super trajectory of Rakza Z is an overspecced trajectory!"

At the end of the day, it feels different from Chinese rubbers, with a shadow of Tensor, yet with the grip unique to tacky rubbers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Ya, he couldn't get his shots to curve down when playing on MLin Extra Special. At 3:50 or so, he points out that the trajectory is so high, actually even higher than the Rising Dragon that he's using, which took him by surprise. At 4:46, he says he couldn't hit in a straight line with Rakza Z, not even with a flat drive. At 6:57, the on-screen caption reads "Jintaku who can't stop hitting long", then he says he's never hit the net once during filming. At 7:34, he points out it is different from Chinese rubbers and is a brand-new feeling.

OTOH, Reinforce AC actually fits him better, coming from a guy who "always goes back to all-wood after trying various composite." It overturns his understanding of composite, especially carbon that flies straight. This setup feels closer to the Rising Dragon.

"Straight trajectory of carbon x super trajectory of Rakza Z is a good match!"
"Curved trajectory of all-wood x super trajectory of Rakza Z is an overspecced trajectory!"

At the end of the day, it feels different from Chinese rubbers, with a shadow of Tensor, yet with the grip unique to tacky rubbers.

I like that even as a Yasaka sponsored player he doesn't go up and just start spewing nothing but positives. Makes it feel like a more genuine review.

Jan 2018
Jin is an interesting case.

He explains that he'd been a Yasaka user even before he became sponsored and turned pro, how he switched from double Rakza X on MLin Extra Special to Rising Dragon on the BH after losing to JYS 0-4 in Australian Open 2018 where he got destroyed in BH rallies, then he started looking into the "usage of racket" seriously after playing ML in Korean Open 2019, where he gained an insight into how ML handled various shots effortlessly with double H3, and then he finally decided to switch to double Rising Dragon after losing to Sun Wen in Australian Open 2019.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I’ve been looking for a low catapult but spinny rubber for BH myself. I use Hurricane on FH, but I don’t want the weight of double Hurricane. I’ve settled on Friendship Focus 3 Snipe. Linear, so soft shots are short (minimal catapult) and can generate the spin to open on BH from backspin. BH flicks are great with it too. Another option might be Sanwei Taiji Plus, which is a bit softer but still pretty linear.

Both of these are low on the tacky scale. If you want a tacky one (regardless of the added weight), Galaxy Moon Pro can generate phenonemal spin and is soft and speedy enough for BH IMO.