This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Tenergy 05 (harder) vs 05-FX (softer):
Tenergy05vs05FX.jpg

This user has no status.
Tenergy 05 (harder) vs 05-FX (softer):
View attachment 21454

This is particularly relevant to me as I was about to buy T05 for forehand and T05-FX for my backhand to put on my new custom blade which is an innerforce ALC clone with limba top ply. The 05/05-FX appears to be a classic pairing with the slightly softer rubber on the backhand. It is often advised that the backhand rubber should ideally be around 3 degrees softer than the forehand in order to account for the difference in the power and type of stroke.

I am particularly looking for a backhand rubber that has ideal characteristics for the flip, (banana, chiquita), together with good control while being good for loop, loop drives. From the details in the Butterfly video kindly published by Dr Evil it would suggest that T05 would be the better rubber for backhand flicks with its characteristic 'curve' giving a quick up and down; allowing the ball to be lifted over the net more easily while coming down onto the table over the net without going too long.

Could those with a better knowledge of this please contribute to:

1. Confirm if my thoughts are correct.
2. If so does that make T05 and ideal backhand rubber. Emratthich suggests it as THE top rubber for backhand.
3. This being the case, what would be a ideal contrasting forehand rubber: T05 hard?

The above conclusion of T05/T05 hard does not sound ideal for an intermediate player, even for a style relying on loops and loop drives on both wings. Could you possibly suggest what would be a better set of rubbers that would require a slightly lower skill level to use effectively for my purposes.

says Hello! My name is Cielo (pronounced Shell-o). I grew up...
Oct 2019
When I used the T05, it had too much arc for me and it can easily get countered when playing against a better player. I never used the T05fx, but I switched to T80 and it was much better. The trajectory is lower, it is faster, and very nice feel on my BH during blocks and open-ups.

But then again, after close open-ups, how do you want to hit the ball? More spins? Drive? And how much do you swing when you are planning for the 3rd, 5th attack? I think these are also questions you need in regards to picking the right set-up for you.

This user has no status.
When I used the T05, it had too much arc for me and it can easily get countered when playing against a better player. I never used the T05fx, but I switched to T80 and it was much better. The trajectory is lower, it is faster, and very nice feel on my BH during blocks and open-ups.

But then again, after close open-ups, how do you want to hit the ball? More spins? Drive? And how much do you swing when you are planning for the 3rd, 5th attack? I think these are also questions you need in regards to picking the right set-up for you.

interesting. Thank you Sky Sowers for your contribution. This sort of feedback is invaluable to those who have not used these rubbers.

Oct 2019
interesting. Thank you Sky Sowers for your contribution. This sort of feedback is invaluable to those who have not used these rubbers.

Interesting. But I’m sure a lot of players here have used the Tenergy series before. And the question was related to using the “same” rubbers and the Tenergy series is an example.

Its not the sponge hardness alone that determines arc. DHS H3 has a hard sponge but it is lower than Tenergy 05. Rather than categorizing it with sponge hardness or any other characteristics, just base it on the rubber itself. There are so many factors affecting the arc like topsheet grip, pip structure so it is hard to generalize.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Its not the sponge hardness alone that determines arc. DHD H3 has a hard sponge but it is lower than Tenergy 05. Rather than categorizing it with sponge hardness or any other characteristics, just base it on the rubber itself. There are so many factors affecting the arc like topsheet grip, pip structure so it is hard to generalize.

Thanks Yogi. I am just getting totally confused trying to chose the best rubbers for my FH and BH. I am trying to get it right first time but the information available from manufacturers, suppliers and sites like Revspin simply leave you in a spin. Excuse the pun!
I don't have the opportunity to try other players rubbers to help assess suitability. I am primarily looking for spin and control with good speed to achieve penetration. I have so far short listed T05 for FH and T05FX (or T80FX) for BH. But then the new Dignics 09C looks like having the perfect stats for me: Great Spin and control without being silly fast.
Some 'experts' suggests the softer rubber for the BH whereas others suggest the faster rubber for the BH to compensate for the lower power on that wing.
I am looking for recommendations, from those that know more and with more experience, regarding the best rubber options to fit to a blade similar to Bttfly Innerforce Layer ALC/W968 and to achiev best spin with control and moderately fast speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Think you should think about blade aswell. In my opinion that effects the arc more than the rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Its not the sponge hardness alone that determines arc. DHD H3 has a hard sponge but it is lower than Tenergy 05. Rather than categorizing it with sponge hardness or any other characteristics, just base it on the rubber itself. There are so many factors affecting the arc like topsheet grip, pip structure so it is hard to generalize.

I think it is also important to remember about the technique. In my experience stroking more upwards will give a higher arc whereas stroking more forward will yield flatter arc (there are also obvious differences in spin and speed of the ball. Please correct me if I am wrong though, but in my very short table tennis journey, I found that technique changes the ball trajectory more than the rubber itself. By the technique, I mean the bat angle, stroke speed, contact quality and thickness, length of the stroke, etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I am particularly looking for a backhand rubber that has ideal characteristics for the flip, (banana, chiquita), together with good control while being good for loop, loop drives. From the details in the Butterfly video kindly published by Dr Evil it would suggest that T05 would be the better rubber for backhand flicks with its characteristic 'curve' giving a quick up and down; allowing the ball to be lifted over the net more easily while coming down onto the table over the net without going too long.

Could those with a better knowledge of this please contribute to:

1. Confirm if my thoughts are correct.
2. If so does that make T05 and ideal backhand rubber. Emratthich suggests it as THE top rubber for backhand.
3. This being the case, what would be a ideal contrasting forehand rubber: T05 hard?
J
The above conclusion of T05/T05 hard does not sound ideal for an intermediate player, even for a style relying on loops and loop drives on both wings. Could you possibly suggest what would be a better set of rubbers that would require a slightly lower skill level to use effectively for my purposes.
T05 is a great backhand rubber for pros and other players with very well-developed backhand technique. T05-fx is more forgiving, which is essential if you haven’t perfected technique. I’ve used them both, and IMO T05 can actually hinder progress unless you have a good coach and lots of time to train. Though I have used them and they are good, I don’t see any reason to spend that much on a sheet of rubber. I would recommend something from the Xiom Vega line, like Vega Euro backhand and Vega Pro forehand. Both of those will cost less than one sheet of Tenergy, and they are very good rubbers. Or the Stiga DNA pro M forehand amd pro S backhand. Either of those will be fine setups. I’m sort of an equipment junkie.

Hope I’m not too late to the discussion. TL:DR, don’t get T05.