BH and FH Rubbers

This user has no status.
I´ve been through similar ideas that you have. Trying harder and softer sponges at different thicknesses. My most recent setups are very close to your wonderings. The first one, was a Korbel with T05 at 1,9 mm for both backhand and forehand. I was pleased with that setup, but after 6 months when it was time for new rubbers I thought of some adjustments. I bought another Korbel and this time I bought T05 max for forehand and T05fx max for backhand. I really liked this setup too. Even more, I think. However, during a practice my training partner asked me at the end of the session why I was playing with my old setup again? I looked at the blade and realized that I had played with my old blade without knowing and feeling any difference. :eek:
Then another 6 months later D09c was released, and I was eager to try it out. I preferred my newer setup with T05fx max, but chose to put it on my older setup to replace an older rubber but also for the idea of not have too much of a hardness difference on backhand and forehand. So now I´m back at T05 1,9 mm for my backhand and now that feels great.
TLDR I don´t think it will make that big of a difference whether you choose 1,9 or 2,1, fx, or regular T05 for your backhand.
However, for my forehand I think those rubbers make bigger difference. I have earlier played with T05fx on forehand and never liked that.

Hello SamTheMan
Many thanks for your input. Your experiences are invaluable to me as I need to get this setup right first time for financial reasons.
Your current setup is the alternative that I was considering. T05 seems to figure highly in the category of best backhand rubbers for topspin play by some such as EnRatThich. However to then obtain the normal balance of hardness between FH to BH rubbers points me in the direction of T05 Hard for the FH which I think would be too much of a rubber for me. So I have also been considering D09C for the FH as it seems to have the perfect properties for me if you believe what you read. My ideal is high spin coupled with high control; which is not normally available. However I have read that its characteristics of D09C are quite different and difficult to get used to due to the tackiness. This has put my off the idea a bit. How did you find the transition from T05 to D09C and what thickness are you using?
Are you using the 5 ply or 7 ply Korbel? I have had a custom blade made by Hipnotic to give me properties somewhere between the Innerfoce Layer ALC and the DHS968 blades, with good dwell time on the softer shots and brushes but with power when the ALC is engaged on the harder hits.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
Hello SamTheMan
Many thanks for your input. Your experiences are invaluable to me as I need to get this setup right first time for financial reasons.
Your current setup is the alternative that I was considering. T05 seems to be considered as the ideal backhand rubber for topspin play. However to then obtain the normal balance FH to BH rubbers leads me in the direction of T05 Hard for the FH which I think would be too much of a rubber for me. So I have also been considering D09C for the FH as it seems to have the perfect properties for me if you believe what you read. My ideal is high spin coupled with high control; which is not normally available. However I have read that its characteristics of D09C are quite different and difficult to get used to due to the tackiness. This has put my off the idea a bit. How did you find the transition from T05 to D09C and what thickness are you using?
Are you using the 5 ply or 7 ply Korbel? I have had a custom blade made by Hipnotic to give me properties somewhere between the Innerfoce Layer ALC and the DHS968 blades, with good dwell time on the softer shots and brushes but with power when the ALC is engaged on the harder hits.

Hi Basmundo!
I think both T05 and T05fx are great for backhand. I´ve been avoiding the newer harder 50°+ rubbers from ESN and japan, (T05 hard) because I think those are more suitable for more advanced players. Even though D09c is hard as well.
I think the biggest difference with D09c is that it is less bouncy. This could be both good and bad. But for me it´s overall better. The top speed of D09c is just as fast as T05 but your other shots will be slower. My D09c is max thickness and it was very easy to adapt to.
I play with the regular Korbel (5ply). But now with the less bouncy D09c I´m thinking on perhaps in the future take the step up to a carbon blade. My training partner just recently switched to D09c from T05 as well. He plays an ALC-blade and it feels a bit faster, but still with great control. But all this is of course very individual.
I´m considering the Harimoto ALC with T05 and D09c in the future. That blade is a Innerforce ALC so it should be very similar to your blade actually.

This user has no status.
Hi Basmundo!
I think both T05 and T05fx are great for backhand. I´ve been avoiding the newer harder 50°+ rubbers from ESN and japan, (T05 hard) because I think those are more suitable for more advanced players. Even though D09c is hard as well.
I think the biggest difference with D09c is that it is less bouncy. This could be both good and bad. But for me it´s overall better. The top speed of D09c is just as fast as T05 but your other shots will be slower. My D09c is max thickness and it was very easy to adapt to.
I play with the regular Korbel (5ply). But now with the less bouncy D09c I´m thinking on perhaps in the future take the step up to a carbon blade. My training partner just recently switched to D09c from T05 as well. He plays an ALC-blade and it feels a bit faster, but still with great control. But all this is of course very individual.
I´m considering the Harimoto ALC with T05 and D09c in the future. That blade is a Innerforce ALC so it should be very similar to your blade actually.

Hi Sam
It seems that our thoughts are very much aligned! When I eventually do finalise on rubbers and manage to try them out on the Innerforce ALC blade I will definitely let you know my findings. Thank you for sharing your experiences with rubbers as it would appear that you have already much further down the road on the journey than I am.

As I said, D09C does seem to be almost too good to be true. High spin with high control and without being silly fast. Its characteristics suggest that it would suit my backhand. I estimate that, being let handed, 80% of my pushes tend to be with the BH and I also block, punch, flick and loop on the BH. I most often finish a point using my forehand with a loop or drive having setup the ball with my BH. I was thinking that the tackiness of D09C would help with lifting the ball for flicking and looping low balls over the net and the control would be invaluable for the touch shots. I believe that T05 has less control but is also suitable for the BH in all other respects. T05FX I guess solves the control issue to some extent.
Have you tried the D09C on the BH and dismissed it in favour of T05?
If you are thinking of a new blade, you may want to make contact with Hipnotic from SDC blades. He can make a blade exactly to your requirements at a very competitive price.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I used T05 and T05fx. When it came time to replace (which was much sooner than I had hoped), I decided there’s just as good stuff to be had that doesn’t cost as much as a blade for 2 sheets. It’s almost like you’re paying for hype. If you haven’t taken the Buttefly plunge yet Basmundo, consider Xiom Vega Euro backhand and Vega Pro forehand. Or Stiga DNA Pro S backhand and Pro M forehand. Both your wallet and technique will thank you a ways down the road.

Reactions: Bazza
This user has no status.
I used T05 and T05fx. When it came time to replace (which was much sooner than I had hoped), I decided there’s just as good stuff to be had that doesn’t cost as much as a blade for 2 sheets. It’s almost like you’re paying for hype. If you haven’t taken the Buttefly plunge yet Basmundo, consider Xiom Vega Euro backhand and Vega Pro forehand. Or Stiga DNA Pro S backhand and Pro M forehand. Both your wallet and technique will thank you a ways down the road.

Hello TryHard. I very much appreciate you sharing your experiences with me. What you have said is very interesting and I will investigate the recommended rubbers and get back to you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jun 2020

Would you think that Vega X, as the updated Vega Pro, would be better for the FH as it has been more recently introduced for the 'new' ball? Also is there a similar update available for the Vega Euro?