Difference between Chinese players and European players?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I always look for this.

PgwioFr.png

This user has no status.
eu VS china comes from a long history of differing opinions, when inverted became mainstream europe decided to overspin opponents and the chinese stuck to their power style and used the spin to just hit the ball with great speed.

Timo has changed more recently but look at 02 timo its all spin no speed. now power is clearly at an advantage however,

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The Chinese players have black hair. European players mostly brown or blond. Are there any ginger pro players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2019
ok what hahaha

The "chicken wing" arm is a classic indicator of a non-chinese player doing their forehand, although still a generalization. ;) ;)

But I do think that differences are more evident on the FH side. In general, the Chinese (CNT) will have a longer stroke and a slightly more straight arm during the load phase of the FH...keeping a 'straighter' arm right up to before contacting the ball.

The CNT will also have a slightly 'steeper' swing path with the angle of the swing going more low to high (relative to the average european)...again on the FH side. But this can be deceptive...in that their (CNT) forward acceleration at impact is extremely high (fast) despite the fact they are going quite low to high--> which means they will brush a bit more.

It also seems that *in general* the CNT is more aggressive. They will take a slightly bigger swing in more situations on the FH side compared to Europeans.

Perhaps this is due to the Chinese being a part of the "Chinese National Team" where the National TEAM (and Country) comes first. Their national team has a very regimented training and specific coaching philosophy that I would assume goes down through to the provincial level and even further down to teaching kids. Also maybe having to hit with hard tacky rubbers from a young age makes it necessary to have a very long, but efficient power-swing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think the long arm topspin forehand many Chinese do can generate more power but it also takes a bit more time, energy and space. Chinese players can do that as they are more athletic, have better footwork and reactions and generally train a lot more.

I think for recreational players the "arm fold" topspin technique (like a military salute) is probably better suited even though it probably has 10 percent less potential for power because you need less time and space to execute it and rec players don't have the footwork and fitness to get in position every time for the long arm forehand.

Reactions: ronz91
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Another thing is technique breakdown. A top level European player will hit two or three strong rallying shots before being forced to play softer and less aggressively. CNT players will go strong until someone misses.

Edit: This is mostly a function of not recovering well or not being in position to continue strongly.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Another thing is technique breakdown. A top level European player will hit two or three strong rallying shots before being forced to play softer and less aggressively. CNT players will go strong until someone misses.

Edit: This is mostly a function of not recovering well or not being in position to continue strongly.

I think it might be partially technique but training 5-7 hours a day with great coaches probably helps too. They train so much that they can hit every ball with full power without making mistakes.