I got coached by Timo Boll's coach!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey guys, so something completely different today, when I was shooting a video with Timo last year comparing Dignics 05 to Tenergy 05 I was lucky enough to have a session with the German National Team sports director Richard Prause. Richard has coached Timo for many years and is now working with the entire German National team as director. Hes had a former world ranking of 53 so hes a class player in his own right.

We played some points where Richard wanted to look at my game and test me out before he dissected my game. He gave me some amazing coaching tips after the session, so be sure to check those out as he gives some absolute gems.

What do you think of Richard Prause's tips?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hey guys, so something completely different today, when I was shooting a video with Timo last year comparing Dignics 05 to Tenergy 05 I was lucky enough to have a session with the German National Team sports director Richard Prause. Richard has coached Timo for many years and is now working with the entire German National team as director. Hes had a former world ranking of 53 so hes a class player in his own right.

We played some points where Richard wanted to look at my game and test me out before he dissected my game. He gave me some amazing coaching tips after the session, so be sure to check those out as he gives some absolute gems.

What do you think of Richard Prause's tips?

The timing of this video is interesting as the three major issues he talked about are three biggest issues I have identified for practice in my game:

1. Taking the ball later on serve return.
2. Generating more spin on the forehand by snapping my wrist in to the ball more intensely.
3. Improving my serves with more practice.

Maybe it would have saved me some coaching money lol...

Thanks a lot for this, Dan!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I feel the longer i play and the longer i coach the more important i feel serve and return are. Have been coaching some adults that basically started to train tabletennis at adults. Are really really motivated, high achieving individuals and personalities so have really become better. In the open game they are playing well, but they lose becuase they are not good enought in the little game. I feel the same when i play someone that is better or not as good as me. The difference really is serve and return. So i think that if people want to have better results and win more they could really do that if they start to train more serve. But, it feels that pretty few do it? too boring?

I think for you Nextlevel, if you have some problems with the mobility it is even more important to practice serve and return. With good serves you can get the return you want and do not need to move as fast. I think in general that it is possible to play with a thought, look at the opponent and read the game and you do not need to move so fast. Waldner proably is a bit special, but really interesting to see in his last olympics, when he had backpain, were a dinosaur and could not move so well and still played well. Proably read the game well and played with a thought.

I like the idea that one good serve is when you succeed. Often feel like that we in my club rush a bit, because we need to move players up to be able to bring in new. Would be nice to almost have more like a sheet where you check off forehand counter, backhand counter and so on. Like prause are thinking about the serve.

The timing of this video is interesting as the three major issues he talked about are three biggest issues I have identified for practice in my game:

2. Generating more spin on the forehand by snapping my wrist in to the ball more intensely.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

Hey NextLevel no worries! Yeah Richard talks so much sense here. I recorded this video last year. When I started editing it last week I was like WOW these tips are amazing I new they were good but forgot how good haha! Very simple yet effective :)

I feel the longer i play and the longer i coach the more important i feel serve and return are. Have been coaching some adults that basically started to train tabletennis at adults. Are really really motivated, high achieving individuals and personalities so have really become better. In the open game they are playing well, but they lose becuase they are not good enought in the little game. I feel the same when i play someone that is better or not as good as me. The difference really is serve and return. So i think that if people want to have better results and win more they could really do that if they start to train more serve. But, it feels that pretty few do it? too boring?

Yeah Lula serve and receive is so important. It is often neglected and yeah I think one of the reasons is it can be boring to do. Also a lot of players have limited time to practice so when they are at the table they spend time on the open game, things that feel nice. The players that excel are the ones that concentrate on match type scenarios such as serve and receive. Putting in the hours in these areas is important, it's easier said than done though haha but yeah I think serve and receive is so important in table tennis.

I could listen to this man for hours

And me!

says Aging is a killer
Use same serve in a practice match

About the serve and receive.
When playing matches at the club, use only one serve per match. Preferably the serve that you depend on the most. Maintain the same spin,speed and placement, even if your opponent takes a couple of shots off it.
You'll surprise yourself how the serve improves especially during a tight match, say at deuce in the 5th. Do it against different opponents, you will learn all the variations of return on that serve enabling stronger 3rd ball.
Result, you develop a serve that you rarely get wrong during a match.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
He really is very articulate and I think it's amazing that he's able to commentate in both German and English.

Notice how I used subtitles for my voice at 5.44 haha! Richard's English is better than mine!

Can you do this video with him again please, he has a lot more in his locker :cool:

Haha yeah good idea, i'll see what I can do :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Great information on this video from a legendary coach. Gives a different, and perhaps more practical for the commonfolk, perspective in a day and age where everyone is trying to banana receive or take every receive off the bounce, play quick and flat, and do every serve imaginable.

Also disappointing that this thread barely got 10 comments a week after posting, whereas the TTD equipment reviews will get hundreds of posts.:(

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
You need to make this video with every pro coach (thumbs up)

Yeah good idea! Would be interesting to see what each coach has to say. I'll try get some more soon :)

Great information on this video from a legendary coach. Gives a different, and perhaps more practical for the commonfolk, perspective in a day and age where everyone is trying to banana receive or take every receive off the bounce, play quick and flat, and do every serve imaginable.

Yeah very good point, it's easy to fall into the trap of rushing and being over complicated with your game. Richard slows things down and tries to simplify things.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi