German League TTBL Final 2020 (Covid)

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Calderano played closer to the table in G5 after Boll kept pushing him away in G4. The former adapted afterwards by playing soft after putting in a few strong shots to induce misses.

Gauzy looks in form. Still can't get head around how he loses to Boll so bad yet gives XX such a hard time.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
... Still can't get head around how [Gauzy] loses to Boll so bad yet gives XX such a hard time.

I was thinking about exactly that as well and came to the conclusion that it must be to do with how Boll stays closer to the table.

On the commentary Prause said that (and I am paraphrasing a bit here) whilst Gauzy's game is very well developed it is arguably a weakness of his that he can be a bit 'verspielt', meaning he enjoys playing in a manner that could be called immature at times. Against Xu Xin (who 'suffers' from the affliction) they feedback on each other's playfulness and this really gets Gauzy in the mood. Boll, on the other hand, is also a master of spin but in a much more utilitarian manner befitting the stereotypes associated with Germany and thus is able to easily deal with the playful elements of Gauzy's game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
...Sometimes [Timo] plays some points just confused you, if you cant win these points, you win max 3-5 points in set. ...

I like the idea of tactically playing some points just in view of confusing the opponent. I suppose that's the sort of thing that you start to do naturally when you're really good. On a basic level like with long serves nearly everyone does it but sometimes when Boll repeatedly backhand-blocks from close to the table rather than take chances for a step-around you get the feeling that he's telling the other player that he's being tested.

This user has no status.
Timo boll has hard game to read, because he opens everything with quality (placement, rotation) and he is very passive agressive in everyshot, so he doesnt play to win every point. Sometimes he plays some points just confused you, if you cant win these points, you win max 3-5 points in set.
XX and Gauzy they are in freestyle zone and Simon knows every trick made by XX. I think Timo has more tricks and he plays better near the table.

Calderano lose with out of form Karlsson next he beat Timo Boll.

I think Konrad is on to something when he mentions Timo’s skill close to the table. Xu Xin plays back from the table a lot. Gauzy seems to find ways to exploit the extreme angles. He even uses chop blocks. Timo can handle anything technically, but doesn’t have the younger guys’s accelerated footwork. Staying at the table suits him better. Just my observations....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
It's weird but there's something about Karlsson that never gives me any confidence in him. He's obviously good but rather than being top30 good to me he feels more like a top 200 player who occasionally excels and pulls off upsets, like this match against Calderano.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's weird but there's something about Karlsson that never gives me any confidence in him. He's obviously good but rather than being top30 good to me he feels more like a top 200 player who occasionally excels and pulls off upsets, like this match against Calderano.

Who does he lose to that justifies that analysis? How would you describe Wong Chun Ting?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Who does he lose to that justifies that analysis? How would you describe Wong Chun Ting?
Not overly familiar with his record, it's more of an emotional response to the sum-total of my impression of K2. Like when a certain player steps up in a penalty shoot-out and you feel they're likely to miss.

Looking at the non-Asian players just ahead of him in the world rankings you've got Gauzy, Aruna (whom I'm guessing is a bit higher because of continental points?), Pitchford and Franziska. All of those guys I can imagine beating almost anyone on their day when they're playing their best whereas with Karlsson he just doesn't inspire that sort of confidence.

As for WCT, no opinion really (slightly strange question?).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Tomorrow
Franziska
Shang Kun
Jorgic/Polansky
Vs
Gauzy
Calderano
Dyjas/Fegerl
What is your prediction?

It's going to be close, too close to call for me. If forced I would say Ochsenhausen on average form. But if Franziska and Shang Kun have slightly above average days it could just as well go the other way.

Hopefully it goes to 5 matches, would love to see two matches from Franziska, Gauzy and Calderano.