my 10 year old nephew wants to start playing modern defensive

10 year old nephew wants to start play defensive

Hello guys, this time I want to talk about my nephew. He started playing ping pong with me since last year. during that time, he saw some matches, one day I was watching Ma Lin vs Joo Se Hyuk and he appeared in the room, looked at the game and was impressed with Joo's chops. And he said he wanted to play that way. Since then he has seen a video from a Brazilian channel that was explaining the long pips and saw the presenter "chop" with penhold. over time he is doing that. I told him about the shakehand grip and he is more interested in table tennis. and is learning the chop movement and likes it a lot. He is 10 years old. What should I give tips for him? which videos? his dad wants him to do a sport so he said table tennis. there are clubs nearby. do I need to buy inverted + long pips equipment for him? he currently uses a recreation racket that has small pips and e.v.a. should he learn inverted on both sides and switch to long pips later?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think he can start with inverted like markv on a slow all wood allround blade. With that racket he can do all the strokes. Probably can chop with it okey aswell. I think it is probably more diifcult and a longer road to take if he change to long pimples at this moment. As long as he finds it fun to play. Think it also can pretty difficult to learn to play like a defense before his opponents can play somewhat offensive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I think it's too early to decide what style to play. First take an allround racket with smooth rubbers (Mark V is OK), and learn all the basic strokes. Best to start with multi-ball and do exercises for ball feeling as shown in Emrat Thich Youtube Channel. Make sure the basic movements are correct. We probably learned f/h and b/h drive first, followed by serve, f/h and b/h push, chop, top spin. The really good defenders all play top spin too, and Xu Xin sometimes chops. So these days there are no pure defenders anymore. Also long pips are limited, the best defenders play short pips on one side (e.g. the epic game by Hou Yingchao: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_mvDBwpm_M) :)
Also start thinking about what to do against modern attackers, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsf5IOOJ99I.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
This was said above already but I think this is really important for anyone looking to try out a more defensive style: start by chopping with normal rubbers first rather than investing in a special defensive set up.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
In my opinion, it's a little to early to try and play defensive, my friend trained in a club for 6 years before he transitioned to defensive game far from the table with chops and long pushes, and it took him about 2 years to transition.
Lately I have been trying to play defensive from far but that shits just impossible for me since im an all out attacker.
But if your nephew wants to play defensive, IMHO try to make him a cheap but good racket with either short or long pips, def to all blade with rubbers from 729 or yinhe for him to see if its for him and if he sticks to it. If not just change the pips rubber.

Just asked my friend about starting with def, he said that one day he just bought a racket with TSP curl p1 and an all- blade and he just trained and trained and watched tutorials, not playing any official matches. Now he's the best player in our club and my sparring partner.

Ofcourse if your nephew wants to become pro, thats another story.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Lula has a great point. There's not much chopping to do if his opponents don't even know how to loop properly. And he won't know how to chop "effectively" until he learns for himself the shots he will be facing against.

If he just wants to bounce a few balls around, sure go for it. But if he has any semblance of ambition, then as always: start from the basics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Thank you all guys, i buy a Palio Expert 2 "best premade for begginers"? or a custom blade + rubber (thinking Reactor Corbor, 729 General, Mercury II), well, the budget is cheap.

Probably doesn't matter at this point, but Reactor stuff are pretty much all sh!t. Get a Sanwei M8 or Yinhe N11 and 2 sheets of 729.

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
Try presports as a site to buy a custom blade, my recommendation for a custom racket are any yinhe rubber like mars 2, earth 2 or jupiter 3
And for pips rubber try something like 802-40 for short pips or yinhe neptune for long pips but thicker sponge.
Blade maybe n10s from yinhe, its a little on the faster side but its got great feeling.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Alternate suggestion:
https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tibhar-co-s-3-defence-st
https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/friendship-ritc-755
https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/friendship-729-fx
Then let him learn to twiddle from the start. He is ten, free time should be available. That way he can practice playing all inverted against his friends twiddling, and have LP to chop with if he trains with a looper.

Total cost is €43 not counting vat

After all, how do you feel if you come up to play someone with LP and then you see they twiddle as easy as breathing. Not good.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews