Back to Forum
    says when you play table tennis, you forget all and focus on ball.

Established TTD Member 16 104

Established TTD Member 104 16

10 year old nephew wants to start play defensive

Hello guys, this time I want to talk about my nephew. He started playing ping pong with me since last year. during that time, he saw some matches, one day I was watching Ma Lin vs Joo Se Hyuk and he appeared in the room, looked at the game and was impressed with Joo's chops. And he said he wanted to play that way. Since then he has seen a video from a Brazilian channel that was explaining the long pips and saw the presenter "chop" with penhold. over time he is doing that. I told him about the shakehand grip and he is more interested in table tennis. and is learning the chop movement and likes it a lot. He is 10 years old. What should I give tips for him? which videos? his dad wants him to do a sport so he said table tennis. there are clubs nearby. do I need to buy inverted + long pips equipment for him? he currently uses a recreation racket that has small pips and e.v.a. should he learn inverted on both sides and switch to long pips later?
    Last edited by davizoosk; 06-21-2020 at 06:49 PM.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,340 1,620
    L
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,620 1,340

User Info Menu

Oct 2016
    Sweden
    Read 0 Reviews
    I think he can start with inverted like markv on a slow all wood allround blade. With that racket he can do all the strokes. Probably can chop with it okey aswell. I think it is probably more diifcult and a longer road to take if he change to long pimples at this moment. As long as he finds it fun to play. Think it also can pretty difficult to learn to play like a defense before his opponents can play somewhat offensive.

The Following 2 Users Like Lula's Post:

lasta and UpSideDownCarl

This user has no status.

TTD Member 35 74
    E
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 74 35

User Info Menu

Feb 2020
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    I think it's too early to decide what style to play. First take an allround racket with smooth rubbers (Mark V is OK), and learn all the basic strokes. Best to start with multi-ball and do exercises for ball feeling as shown in Emrat Thich Youtube Channel. Make sure the basic movements are correct. We probably learned f/h and b/h drive first, followed by serve, f/h and b/h push, chop, top spin. The really good defenders all play top spin too, and Xu Xin sometimes chops. So these days there are no pure defenders anymore. Also long pips are limited, the best defenders play short pips on one side (e.g. the epic game by Hou Yingchao: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_mvDBwpm_M) :-)
    Also start thinking about what to do against modern attackers, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsf5IOOJ99I.
    Last edited by ejprinz; 06-22-2020 at 07:48 PM.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 70 314
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 314 70

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 133 164
    S
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 164 133

User Info Menu

Apr 2020
    Scotland
    Read 0 Reviews
    This was said above already but I think this is really important for anyone looking to try out a more defensive style: start by chopping with normal rubbers first rather than investing in a special defensive set up.

The Following User Likes SofaChamp's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

This user has no status.

TTD Member 37 49
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 49 37
    In my opinion, it's a little to early to try and play defensive, my friend trained in a club for 6 years before he transitioned to defensive game far from the table with chops and long pushes, and it took him about 2 years to transition.
    Lately I have been trying to play defensive from far but that shits just impossible for me since im an all out attacker.
    But if your nephew wants to play defensive, IMHO try to make him a cheap but good racket with either short or long pips, def to all blade with rubbers from 729 or yinhe for him to see if its for him and if he sticks to it. If not just change the pips rubber.

Just asked my friend about starting with def, he said that one day he just bought a racket with TSP curl p1 and an all- blade and he just trained and trained and watched tutorials, not playing any official matches. Now he's the best player in our club and my sparring partner.

Ofcourse if your nephew wants to become pro, thats another story.

says This user has status.

Senior TTD Member 490 909

Senior TTD Member 909 490

User Info Menu

Jul 2018
    Canada
    Read 0 Reviews
    Lula has a great point. There's not much chopping to do if his opponents don't even know how to loop properly. And he won't know how to chop "effectively" until he learns for himself the shots he will be facing against.

If he just wants to bounce a few balls around, sure go for it. But if he has any semblance of ambition, then as always: start from the basics.

Established TTD Member 16 104

Established TTD Member 104 16
    Thank you all guys, i buy a Palio Expert 2 "best premade for begginers"? or a custom blade + rubber (thinking Reactor Corbor, 729 General, Mercury II), well, the budget is cheap.
    Last edited by davizoosk; 06-23-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Senior TTD Member 490 909

Senior TTD Member 909 490

User Info Menu

Jul 2018
    Canada
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by davizoosk
    Thank you all guys, i buy a Palio Expert 2 "best premade for begginers"? or a custom blade + rubber (thinking Reactor Corbor, 729 General, Mercury II), well, the budget is cheap.
    Probably doesn't matter at this point, but Reactor stuff are pretty much all sh!t. Get a Sanwei M8 or Yinhe N11 and 2 sheets of 729.

The Following User Likes lasta's Post:

Kuba Hajto

says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.

Elite TTD Member 548 1,252
    K
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.

Elite TTD Member 1,252 548
    Quote Originally Posted by lasta
    Probably doesn't matter at this point, but Reactor stuff are pretty much all sh!t. Get a Sanwei M8 or Yinhe N11 and 2 sheets of 729.
    Agree with blades, also Hidden Dragon is nice rubber, that is easy to use.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 37 49
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 49 37
    Try presports as a site to buy a custom blade, my recommendation for a custom racket are any yinhe rubber like mars 2, earth 2 or jupiter 3
    And for pips rubber try something like 802-40 for short pips or yinhe neptune for long pips but thicker sponge.
    Blade maybe n10s from yinhe, its a little on the faster side but its got great feeling.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 35 74
    E
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 74 35

User Info Menu

Feb 2020
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    @piligrim: A modern defender cannot just defend. See Ruwen Filus:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU-Bo3vZwbg
    or from Stiga:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgEpdLecVp8 (don't know the name, she plays similarly to Ruwen)

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 629 602
    B
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 602 629

User Info Menu

Oct 2015
    Christmas Island
    Read 0 Reviews
    Alternate suggestion:
    https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_...s-3-defence-st
    https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_...dship-ritc-755
    https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_...endship-729-fx
    Then let him learn to twiddle from the start. He is ten, free time should be available. That way he can practice playing all inverted against his friends twiddling, and have LP to chop with if he trains with a looper.

Total cost is €43 not counting vat

After all, how do you feel if you come up to play someone with LP and then you see they twiddle as easy as breathing. Not good.
    Last edited by Brs; 06-23-2020 at 04:43 PM.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 70 314
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 314 70
    Quote Originally Posted by ejprinz
    @piligrim: A modern defender cannot just defend. See Ruwen Filus:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU-Bo3vZwbg
    or from Stiga:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgEpdLecVp8 (don't know the name, she plays similarly to Ruwen)

I know Filus but here we speak about 10 years old boy! The kid not Filus, he can play just defend if he wants

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 104 170
    A
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 170 104

User Info Menu

I recall Shiono saying that in Japan, choppers are not allowed to use long pips unit they are 18. They learn everything with inverted.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 208 295
    L
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 295 208

User Info Menu

May 2016
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by allencorn
    I recall Shiono saying that in Japan, choppers are not allowed to use long pips unit they are 18. They learn everything with inverted.
    Certainly not everywhere!

https://tabletennis-reference.com/player/detail/5221

She's been playing against pros since about age 13 it seems... using long pips the whole time as a chopper.