Taking On The World's Best Table Tennis Serves!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey guys, so when filming the Par Gerell Masterclass, myself and Tom took on the World’s best server Par Gerell to see how many serves we could receive…. out of 10! Now I took on Par 4 years ago and only managed to receive 2 out of 10… so I hope after 4 years I’ve made some improvement…

Here’s how we got on!

Find out how to do the Par Gerell Serves in our Masterclass here.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Here we go again... 12 hours posted, 2 comments and 4 likes from the entire forum where the TTD owner himself gets exclusive personal access to Par Freeking Gerell in a vid about world class serves (and I just KNOW that TTD members need to improve serves) and we have so little participation.

Of course the fanboy equipment threads get double digit posts and likes before 12 hours.

@UpsideDownCarl Did you leave the protective settings on your NSA phone to protect Dan's threads from posts>

Send out the Goon Squad !!

Dan and Tom both improved !!

Reactions: Dan
says Aging is a killer
Wicked bouncer

The second serve to Tom had so many elements, no wonder Dan replayed in slow motion. It was slow, long with a hint of backspin, thus the ball presented itself to the receiver as ideal to attack. Yet it unexpectedly kicked upwards at the bounce. In his match videos, I've seen Per catch out top players with the exact same result.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
They all look pretty similar, but they obviously aren’t. Really hard to read.
Does he get away with that illegal toss in real matches? Oherwise, I am really impressed.

Thanks Dan and Tom

Those serves are REALLY tricky to read even after seeing the contact point. He's obviously worked very hard to keep the same physical motion so it's even harder to read each serve.

Yeah that's right it's ridiculous how similar all his serves yet vary so much in spin! What happens is you go to receive one of his serves and you are scared to commit, because if you commit and get it wrong, you make the biggest miss ever aha! It's really, really tricky! Par has also studied his own serves so much and has so many variations for the follow through etc which makes the serve super disguised. The deception is key and you can do that so well with this service action.

I also couldn't believe how much spin he can produces using minimal effort, that is what confused me at times. The ball had so much backspin or topspin with minimal effort, his timing and touch is incredible.

The second serve to Tom had so many elements, no wonder Dan replayed in slow motion. It was slow, long with a hint of backspin, thus the ball presented itself to the receiver as ideal to attack. Yet it unexpectedly kicked upwards at the bounce. In his match videos, I've seen Per catch out top players with the exact same result.

Yeah very true Tinykin, that serve is one of Par's trademark kickers! It comes over so strange and jumps so aggressively at the last min. Very impressive indeed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Is it strange that Par didn't serve even once to Dan's backhand side?

I think the only conclusion to draw there is... he fears Dan's backhand blaster!

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Is it strange that Par didn't serve even once to Dan's backhand side?

I think the only conclusion to draw there is... he fears Dan's backhand blaster!

Haha Par wanted to give me half a chance :D That's a good point actually, it kinda shows even more how effective his serves are as me and Tom both new he was going to serve to our forehand.

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Haha Par wanted to give me half a chance :D That's a good point actually, it kinda shows even more how effective his serves are as me and Tom both new he was going to serve to our forehand.
Interesting video guys, yeh be interesting to see him serve anywhere on the table, you got to really be on your toes as got to be prepped for the long ones, very tough id imagine