Covid 19 Era - How do we resume play?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
It's very difficult time for all. Human lives being lost, employment for some also lost, not easy at all and hope no one on this forum is bearing suffering during this time.

Our Table Tennis athletes and ITTF friends doing it tough, obviously no play means no money coming in either, so even our loved sports might feel the pain for years to come.

Question how do we rebound from this situation & get play back which is safe for athletes and officials and in a way can still allow the sport to be financially viable?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
My opinion is way to hopefully make it work is by:

* Finish off 2020 Year in 1 solo location, set up a hub (maybe Qatar as still have equipment and tables available to commence quick)
* Hubs Just for players and officials, no spectators. Quarantine in the hub for 2 weeks before any play commences.

* Whatever big events have been missed just play those tournaments out quick and and easy. Doesn't need to be a week long event. Can probably fit all in say 3 days each big tournament schedule.

* all can be done in a matter of weeks if done right. All points and can be collated to try get rankings points in.

* Cap participants allowed at play at 100 men and 100 ladies, again just to simply rankings. Event still has singles, doubles and XD.

* Have supporters pay a once off subscription of say $200 USD to have access to all games/mini tournaments that get played.

* All money received goes towards players, officials and ITTF in a fair manner.

Champions League having hub set up in Portugal to finish off the tournament over 13 days. NBA doing it in Florida. Way of keeping players and officials safe away from public whilst finishing off competitions.

My opinion is Table Tennis is a quick sport to get games finalised and only need few pieces of equipment and not complex to set up. They can probably play out equivalent of say 10-15 events in say 6 weeks at a quick pace. Not every event needs to be played either, can probably bypass some of the team events so can just concentrate on rankings.
Thought?

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Wait for a vaccine.

No one is/should be willing to take the chance as of this moment. (Looking at Djokovic)

https://apnews.com/a05bd74bc4c43bc1373890e594083762
“We believed the tournament met all health protocols and the health of our region seemed in good condition to finally unite people for philanthropic reasons,” Djokovic said in a posting on social media Tuesday. “We were wrong and it was too soon.”

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Martin Gunn did this post on facebook

To all TT players out there...

Please let me explain WHY we can’t go back to playing table tennis in indoor venues just yet.

Coronavirus is predominantly spread when an infected person coughs or exhales droplets from there respiratory system.

In ANY strenuous sport, which stresses the cardiovascular and respiratory system, such as table tennis, the human respiratory system exhales at a MUCH higher rate and at a much greater velocity. This is often coupled with open mouthed breathing due to the cardiovascular stress. Therefore the infection risk is far far greater! Especially in an indoor environment.

This is exactly the reason why gyms also remain closed.

So when people draw a comparison to people being in pubs....there really is no comparison. Breathing and respiration levels of individuals within a pub for example would not be stressed, therefore the infection risk is far lower.

Be patient guys and girls, it’s for your own good!!

Reactions: MaLin2.0
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Do you think if say Champions League and NBA finishes run smoothly in their hubs and no infections as a result, worth a chance?

What do you think the odds of that are? College athletes all over the US are testing positive.

I have no solution to offer. Biology is what it is.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
What do you think the odds of that are? College athletes all over the US are testing positive.

I have no solution to offer. Biology is what it is.

I think this virus is a beast. We can't see it and it outsmarts every possible measure.

I think Tokyo 2021 will be cancelled because the timing is terrible and circumstances unfavourable, doubt local Japanese government will want 100,000+ people from around the globe coming in, will be a death sentence to one of the world's oldest population.

Even simplifying an event with no spectators and just gave players & officials only seems to be a dead end.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Martin Gunn did this post on facebook

To all TT players out there...

Please let me explain WHY we can’t go back to playing table tennis in indoor venues just yet.

Coronavirus is predominantly spread when an infected person coughs or exhales droplets from there respiratory system.

In ANY strenuous sport, which stresses the cardiovascular and respiratory system, such as table tennis, the human respiratory system exhales at a MUCH higher rate and at a much greater velocity. This is often coupled with open mouthed breathing due to the cardiovascular stress. Therefore the infection risk is far far greater! Especially in an indoor environment.

This is exactly the reason why gyms also remain closed.

So when people draw a comparison to people being in pubs....there really is no comparison. Breathing and respiration levels of individuals within a pub for example would not be stressed, therefore the infection risk is far lower.

Be patient guys and girls, it’s for your own good!!

I think could be possibly the beginning of the end for ITTF and players as this could go on possibly another year or two. Lot will change between now and then. I agree safety first.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+1]PLEASE BE AWARE

-- No safety possible unless you got treated with an anti-virusal vaccine
[/size]

ANNOTATION: It is better to be prudent than merely courageous. This proverb, a synonym of look before you leap, was first recorded in 1477. Charles Churchill put it in poetic form: “Even in a hero's heart, Discretion is the better part” (The Ghost, 1762). Shakespeare also used a form of it: “The better part of valor is discretion” (1 Henry IV, 5:4).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
At this point it would be a surprise if we don't have at least one vaccine in mass production by January. Cautiously optimistic for Tokyo Olympics in July 2021. But the rest of this year is too risky for anything more than local mini-tournaments like Düsseldorf.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I agree with Igorponger. It's not very often you'll read that from me, but in this case he's right. Indoor sports will be problematic for awhile.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about a vaccine early next year. Bear in mind, though, that the first cases in the US were around January or thereabouts, let's just say six months ago. Early January next year is almost another six months. A whole lot of misery between now and then.

The sports landscape will emerge badly damaged.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Dusseldorf Masters is being held weekly. Wonder if they managed to avoid any new cases among staff/players. Seems like so far so good.

https://www.ittf.com/2020/06/01/dusseldorf-masters-timo-boll-no-1-seed-new-tournament-series/

If goes well maybe worth exploring. Obviously first priority is safety and well being, sports is a second. I think general feel is everyone wants to move on and get back to normal but these circumstances are really preventing it.

My idea seems too much, as involves getting say top 100 athletes for makeup tournament for rankings. Think the logistics and feasibility isn't worth it and safety just won't work. One reading what people have said think only option is to wait.

Vaccine might come out maybe early next year but not a guarantee. Hopefully does and hopefully Tokyo 2021 still on track.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I agree with Igorponger. It's not very often you'll read that from me, but in this case he's right. Indoor sports will be problematic for awhile.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about a vaccine early next year. Bear in mind, though, that the first cases in the US were around January or thereabouts, let's just say six months ago. Early January next year is almost another six months. A whole lot of misery between now and then.

The sports landscape will emerge badly damaged.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gMrn1vJuQaw

Appears developing a vaccine isn't as simple as what most people think. Timely and costly. Lot that gets made gets rejected as the phases go on.

Predicted timeframe by Sanofi believe vaccine will come by late 2021.

Might have extended delay in Table Tennis, Olympics might not go ahead of that's the forecast.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Fortunately there are a lot of different groups working on it. I think it will be sooner than late 2021. Hope I'm not wrong. But I might be.

Reactions: MaLin2.0
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Fortunately there are a lot of different groups working on it. I think it will be sooner than late 2021. Hope I'm not wrong. But I might be.

Hope so too, all YouTube videos I've been watching suggest it's really not a simple process to create a vaccine, also lengthy process so praying earlier than later.

I think if we are waiting this long, the entire sporting landscape and table tennis might be damaged in the short term.

Perhaps maybe even ITTF can come up with a solution to get play going again incorporating safety measures but also making it profitable too, bit of a challenge.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Interesting read. Experts believe 12-18 months way to early.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/30/opinion/coronavirus-covid-vaccine.html

Im thinking right now better chance getting exposed and hopefully immune to it than vaccine ready soon.

Tricky time right now globally of course because of the suffering. Would be nice to have TT back, thinking hubs only way to go.

Maybe Olympics Games 2021 might need be super simplified, if they decide to proceed with it. Instead of say 70 qualifiers for the Singles trim it back to 32 entrants. Perhaps scrap the Team event and keep mixed doubles event. Do this across all sports, trim back to having capacity to say 1/3 athletes projected participate, might be unpopular opinion but ideas to keep event going and poss keeping it safe to, other alternative is cancel it.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
That is a very good article. I also made a post in the Sars cov 2 thread about why vaccine testing takes longer than drug testing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
That is a very good article. I also made a post in the Sars cov 2 thread about why vaccine testing takes longer than drug testing.

I'll try not mix up the threads, this one mainly to see when play can resume but guess they overlap as it's pretty much the virus containment which is stopping it and vaccine needed before safe play can resume.