Best table tennis robot - Amicus prime or Power pong 5000

This user has no status.
I've had the Amicus for 5+ years now and the only problem i've encoutered is the bluetooth ,it takes a little longer to connect ,otherwise its going strong with the beeper its a breeze to start ,shut off the robot , i also have a Newgy robot but its an old version ,i think its a 1050 ,it just ocilates no changing speed or nothing

This user has no status.

Being a lefty, the only robot that seems to accommodate mirroring is the Amicus Expert. Is this correct?

A major advantage with the Amicus/Power Pong type of robots appears to be the disguise in the direction of the ball for random play. The PongFox looks good but could do with some design tweaks to incorporate some form of disguise.

This user has no status.
100%, undoubtedly, go for the Butterfly Amicus Prime. These are my reasons:1. Prime has a better ball-feed motor. (Butterfly upgraded theirs for the Prime). The 5000 has the same ball-feed motor as the generation 1 Amicus robots (basic, advance, professional).2. Prime looks totally cooler. No one wants a robot that has the word "pong" in it. They associate it with "robo-pong". They will take you much more seriously if you tell them you have a Butterfly Amicus.3. The support and warranty on the Amicus robots are much better than the warranty from Power Pong naturally because Butterfly is 10 times more developed than Power Pong. At least with Butterfly, you know that they have a legit customer service and distributors all over the world. Also, Larry Thoman- their Amicus robot repairer- is very competent. He has direct access to all the parts and responds very quickly by email. When I emailed Butterfly about their robot, they responded in a few hours. When I emailed Attila Malek of Power Pong, he took several days to respond.4. Amicus Prime comes with its own tablet (a first). On the tablet, they have their own app which transcends anything Power Pong has to offer. It even offers a "wait" function that senses your serve and then starts a drill. The Amicus Prime also has a mirror function at the touch of a button that can mirror any of their drills.5. The spin on the motors is crazy. Absolutely no way to return max topspin or max backspin. It is as simple as that.6. Timo Boll uses this robot.7. If you ever happen to take this robot on a plane trip, security is much more likely to recognize the brand Butterfly rather than Power-Pong. I had no trouble checking my robot in. 8. I just like the sound of "Butterfly Amicus Prime" rather than "Power Pong 5000".Sorry if my review is biased but I own a Butterfly Amicus Prime and I absolutely love it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Do not buy a powerpong. Mine broke after only 2 weeks of use and they wanted a lot of money to have it fixed. It is completely ridiculous. Also the customer service is very lacking. Butterfly is an established entity and I would assume things would go a lot more smoothly with them. I regret not going with Butterfly. Lesson learned.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Be careful buying the Powerpong. I paid a lot for extra faster shipping (3 days) and mine arrived 12 days later. When I complained they explained it wasn't their fault but wasn't offered a refund for my shipping. After about 20 days of use, it broke. I have to pay over $200 to have it fixed. Plus I have to pay to have the robot shipped to the company and probably have to pay to have it shipped back to me.

For some inexplicable reason, there is no "pause" functions between balls. So if you do a drill where you need to reset, you have to shoot balls into the net to give yourself time to get back into ready position. The time delay button theoretically works but is useless in practice. Finally setting up a simulated serve is a nightmare. The robot is pretty good for doing basic drills but it could be so much better if they made a few simple changes to the app. Overall I am extremely annoyed with the shipping situation and the fact it broke so soon and the fact I have to pay to have it fixed. I paid for the robot and am so far out of at least $400 extra and I have only used it for 20 days.

A false, malicious and defamatory statement is a crime and you could be liable for damages and attorney fees. In this post you failed to mention that you damaged the robot, and mishandling is not covered by warranty. You also failed to mention that you end up receiving a new head at no charge to you.
We also would like to know how are you out of $400 and who did you pay? Power Pong has superior customer support and we always take care of our customers to their satisfaction. We want to give you the opportunity to remove this post or we'll seek legal counsel and based on the facts it will be very costly for you. Thank you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
100%, undoubtedly, go for the Butterfly Amicus Prime. These are my reasons:1. Prime has a better ball-feed motor. (Butterfly upgraded theirs for the Prime). The 5000 has the same ball-feed motor as the generation 1 Amicus robots (basic, advance, professional).2. Prime looks totally cooler. No one wants a robot that has the word "pong" in it. They associate it with "robo-pong". They will take you much more seriously if you tell them you have a Butterfly Amicus.3. The support and warranty on the Amicus robots are much better than the warranty from Power Pong naturally because Butterfly is 10 times more developed than Power Pong. At least with Butterfly, you know that they have a legit customer service and distributors all over the world. Also, Larry Thoman- their Amicus robot repairer- is very competent. He has direct access to all the parts and responds very quickly by email. When I emailed Butterfly about their robot, they responded in a few hours. When I emailed Attila Malek of Power Pong, he took several days to respond.4. Amicus Prime comes with its own tablet (a first). On the tablet, they have their own app which transcends anything Power Pong has to offer. It even offers a "wait" function that senses your serve and then starts a drill. The Amicus Prime also has a mirror function at the touch of a button that can mirror any of their drills.5. The spin on the motors is crazy. Absolutely no way to return max topspin or max backspin. It is as simple as that.6. Timo Boll uses this robot.7. If you ever happen to take this robot on a plane trip, security is much more likely to recognize the brand Butterfly rather than Power-Pong. I had no trouble checking my robot in. 8. I just like the sound of "Butterfly Amicus Prime" rather than "Power Pong 5000".Sorry if my review is biased but I own a Butterfly Amicus Prime and I absolutely love it.

The Amicus Prime is a good robot, but I'm amazed the amount of false information available online. 1st. How would you know that the Prime has a better ball-feed motor? 2nd. Butterfly doesn't do any upgrade. LCS.kft in Hungary does for both the Amicus and Power Pong models and the quality of shots are the same for both model. The differences are in the control units, and the Power Pong models are far more advanced than the Amicus ones.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
They will take you much more seriously if you tell them you have a Butterfly Amicus.
They who ? The babes ? How come I don't get to meet any of them ?

Seriously, for advanced players I think the best value for your money can only be a multi-headed robot that feeds random spins & speeds to random points on the table from one ball to the next.

I know you can "program" other robots but as long as you know what you programmed, it's not random

For lower level players this is not too imporatnat but higher you go, it is more important that the robot tries to outsmart you

So which robots are randomising ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

A false, malicious and defamatory statement is a crime and you could be liable for damages and attorney fees. In this post you failed to mention that you damaged the robot, and mishandling is not covered by warranty. You also failed to mention that you end up receiving a new head at no charge to you.
We also would like to know how are you out of $400 and who did you pay? Power Pong has superior customer support and we always take care of our customers to their satisfaction. We want to give you the opportunity to remove this post or we'll seek legal counsel and based on the facts it will be very costly for you. Thank you.

If you want to promote table tennis & also your product, there are so many TV Court shows in USA that you can get on. I would assume both parties will get paid , so it is a win win situation ? Or may be you can ask for syndication & residual income ??

Is Judge Jerry Springer show still up ?
You both can try that because he has best name recogntion from his crazy other show ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

For me, this response did enormously more damage to your products than the original post, which I had ignored as likely user error.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I agree w/the manufacturers post though a public threat of litigation is never a good idea. I despise people that have a problem w/a product they bought for some reason or the other, are often negligent in the use or treatment of said product. then go online and complain bitterly about how awful said product is. In the mean time, they have b*tched at the manuf, who most likely did all they could to remedy the situation in the name of customer service, only to have the user never go back online to retract the statement or provide an update to clarify that the issue was resolved.

look at the two robots, they are the SAME, made in the same plant, one w/a Butterfly label slapped on it. Look at the app support--no updates on the Apple Butterfly app since 2021 and Power Pong w/multiple updates in 2023.

Even w/out the updates both are amazing practice robots, although expensive. I would love a TenniRobo, but Putin...

Just my 2c.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hi Brokenball,

I have the 2055 robo pong, have you had any issues with the ‘L’ shaped spring breaking? It’s labelled as part 50 in the manual, part# 2050-159A BF spring, medium (L shaped)
2 of these springs have snapped at the attachment point.
wondering if this is a problem other robo pong owners have?

cheers.
Mine hasn't broken but I have had to bend it back into position so it will trigger the next ball.

Reactions: IB66