• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Results 1 to 11 of 11
    1. Top | #1
      Orca is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Malaysia

      Equipment:
      Blade Timo Boll ALC
      Forehand Rubber Rhyzer 48
      Backhand Rubber Rhyzer 43

      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Posts
      6
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

      Greetings from open sea

      Hello

      I am a Malaysian working onboard a survey vessel, mainly operating along west coast of Africa from Angola to Morocco. I am working for a China national company, and here I fell in love again with table tennis, after leaving them behind after school days, over 20 years ago.

      Joining the small league onboard, where 2/3 of the crew are from China, it really opened my eyes playing with these guys, that I'm getting very serious with table tennis then before. Ranked around 20-25 out of 60 players, I am among top 4 non-Chinese onboard. Been learning and practising very hard to be able to play them properly, as some of senior crew are exceptionally good, some even rank among top 200-500 at their province out of a few million players.

      Found this forum for some time, only able to register very recently due to very limited internet onboard. Been learning too many from this forum, from people who really know what they are talking about. Following all the discussions regarding techniques and their technicalities very closely, and work for me greatly, I thank every one for very good input. Though at early 40s, it is always some thing new to learn & try, and I am not ashamed to learn from anyone, however young their are, as long it develop my technique and skill, properly, as long I could enjoy good games, wether I win or not.

      Greetings, from open sea

    2. The Following 4 Users Like Orca's Post:

      KMTT (2 Weeks Ago),mart1nandersson (1 Week Ago),TTstyle (1 Week Ago),yoass (2 Weeks Ago)

    3. Top | #2
      Lula is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Elite TTD Member Country: Sweden


      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Posts
      1,304
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,108 Times in 602 Posts
      Very nice to hear this! Good luck with your tabletennis!

    4. Top | #3
      zeio is offline
      says 快、準、狠、變、轉
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Hong Kong
      zeio's Avatar

      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      4,474
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 6,609 Times in 2,821 Posts
      Been learning and practising very hard to be able to play them properly, as some of senior crew are exceptionally good, some even rank among top 200-500 at their province out of a few million players.
      So the meme is true.

      "So you play table tennis?"
      Race for Tokyo 2020 - China, Japan
      Time capsules - 2020, 2024, 2028

    5. Top | #4
      Orca is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Malaysia

      Equipment:
      Blade Timo Boll ALC
      Forehand Rubber Rhyzer 48
      Backhand Rubber Rhyzer 43

      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Posts
      6
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
      Very nice to hear this! Good luck with your tabletennis!
      Tusen takk, Lula.

    6. The Following 2 Users Like Orca's Post:

      Lula (1 Week Ago),TTstyle (1 Week Ago)

    7. Top | #5
      Orca is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Malaysia

      Equipment:
      Blade Timo Boll ALC
      Forehand Rubber Rhyzer 48
      Backhand Rubber Rhyzer 43

      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Posts
      6
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
      [QUOTE=zeio;316763]So the meme is true.

      "So you play table tennis?"
      [QUOTE]

      So very true...

    8. Top | #6
      KMTT is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Great Britain

      Equipment:
      Blade Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
      Forehand Rubber JOOLA Rhyzer 48
      Backhand Rubber JOOLA Rhyzer Pro50

      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      42
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
      Amazing to hear where (in the world) you are playing and about the incredible standard onboard your ship. Good luck with developing your game and defeating some of those top 20 players.

    9. Top | #7
      Orca is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Malaysia

      Equipment:
      Blade Timo Boll ALC
      Forehand Rubber Rhyzer 48
      Backhand Rubber Rhyzer 43

      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Posts
      6
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
      Thank you, KMTT. Still lots to learn, and master.

    10. Top | #8
      mart1nandersson is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Sweden
      mart1nandersson's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Der Materialspezialist Wizard
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-P
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Grass D.TecS

      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Posts
      978
      Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Liked 688 Times in 417 Posts
      How is it to play on a boat? Is it so big that it's 100% stable or does it get impacted by the waves?

    11. The Following User Likes mart1nandersson's Post:

      Simas (1 Week Ago)

    12. Top | #9
      Orca is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Malaysia

      Equipment:
      Blade Timo Boll ALC
      Forehand Rubber Rhyzer 48
      Backhand Rubber Rhyzer 43

      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Posts
      6
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by mart1nandersson View Post
      How is it to play on a boat? Is it so big that it's 100% stable or does it get impacted by the waves?
      She's a 100m long vessel. As we are normally towing 12x 8km of cables, she rolls more than average vessel of the same size, though cruising speed is normally around 4 knots most of the time. Not all crew able to move around the table when playing, not as much as one would on terra firma, especially junior crew, though some has good agility to keep on with good foot work while playing, even when sea condition is a little rough.

      Not really stable, especially those who prefer high toss when doing service, as the ball tend to land slightly off due to inertia, but the challenge is good to keep one focus, since the table is set right on centre of the vessel, and the player is either facing the bow or stern. If you start the game facing the bow, you need to adjust when serving at the next set, or the you would miss the ball.
      For new comers or those who spend time too long on vacation, the first few days is needed to adjust to vessel's movement. The sensation of playing on a moving vessel is too different, and challenging in its own sense. A fast ball could be slight faster if you are receiving while facing the bow, and could be a tad slower if you are on opposite side of the table. After some time playing, you could see this difference. If you too focus on the game and the opponent that you keep forgetting which side you are on, you might misread the ball's speed & timing, either hitting the ball too early or nearly too late, or occasionally miss the ball completely. This is actually the most exciting part of playing onboard, with the rolling and pitching, while being careful to not losing the balance while positioning the oneself to receive the ball, and adapting to slight changes of speed and directions of the ball, they help a lot when one finally get home and play at local club during the break.

    13. The Following 3 Users Like Orca's Post:

      KMTT (1 Week Ago),mart1nandersson (1 Week Ago),Simas (1 Week Ago)

    14. Top | #10
      Simas is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Europe
      Simas's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Off Classic Legend
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
      Backhand Rubber Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo

      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      997
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 462 Times in 313 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
      Not really stable, especially those who prefer high toss when doing service, as the ball tend to land slightly off due to inertia, but the challenge is good to keep one focus, since the table is set right on centre of the vessel, and the player is either facing the bow or stern. If you start the game facing the bow, you need to adjust when serving at the next set, or the you would miss the ball.
      For new comers or those who spend time too long on vacation, the first few days is needed to adjust to vessel's movement. The sensation of playing on a moving vessel is too different, and challenging in its own sense. A fast ball could be slight faster if you are receiving while facing the bow, and could be a tad slower if you are on opposite side of the table. After some time playing, you could see this difference. If you too focus on the game and the opponent that you keep forgetting which side you are on, you might misread the ball's speed & timing, either hitting the ball too early or nearly too late, or occasionally miss the ball completely. This is actually the most exciting part of playing onboard, with the rolling and pitching, while being careful to not losing the balance while positioning the oneself to receive the ball, and adapting to slight changes of speed and directions of the ball, they help a lot when one finally get home and play at local club during the break.
      that sounds pretty difficult to me

    15. Top | #11
      Orca is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Malaysia

      Equipment:
      Blade Timo Boll ALC
      Forehand Rubber Rhyzer 48
      Backhand Rubber Rhyzer 43

      Join Date
      Jun 2020
      Posts
      6
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
      No, Simas, it's not easy. But once you get use to it, it gives a bit of thrill that cannot be found elsewhere.
      And it develops a certain characteristics in the way you play.

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP