Why are there restrictions for pips out rubbers?

This user has no status.

Long pip lovers, how much long pips players are you developing?

We have 2 LP choppers, 3 LP blockers in our team of 18 female U19 players. I say that is a damn good ratio.

All these things about LP this and LP that, but if you are not training next generation players and only arguing about yesterday and last decade or 50 years, I see there is indeed no future for your view.

And Carly, that wdttf site, I suggest to get a proper modern developer. You won't get much recurrence traffic having a website look like that.

Amateur numbers🤣
in one park alone we have 95% LP use rate!

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
From a spectator point of view, imagine this:

Player serves, LP stands casually and blocks, then the ball goes over short, the receiving player moves in to push and immediately the ball just dive down into the net. Repeat this many times. As a spectator I have no idea what happened but what I see is a regular dude just stand there and hold his bat up and block and the other player cannot prolong the rally. I'll be the first to get up and leave and never come back to the game.

As a spectator I want rally which is fast and furious. I want the players to run around sweating, panting and groaning while entertaining me to make my ticket money worth it. I do not want to watch some overweight middle age uncle just standing around holding his bat up and defeating his opponent while appearing not to be very athletic.

Just so you guys see it from me as a spectator point of view. Thank you.

NB: Pssst... no rally is bad for business.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
From a spectator point of view, imagine this:

Player serves, LP stands casually and blocks, then the ball goes over short, the receiving player moves in to push and immediately the ball just dive down into the net. Repeat this many times. As a spectator I have no idea what happened but what I see is a regular dude just stand there and hold his bat up and block and the other player cannot prolong the rally. I'll be the first to get up and leave and never come back to the game.

As a spectator I want rally which is fast and furious. I want the players to run around sweating, panting and groaning while entertaining me to make my ticket money worth it. I do not want to watch some overweight middle age uncle just standing around holding his bat up and defeating his opponent while appearing not to be very athletic.

Just so you guys see it from me as a spectator point of view. Thank you.

NB: Pssst... no rally is bad for business.

Hence the importance of coaching and improving the knowledge of the game.
Commentary on matches (if watched on TV), is very important. Good commentary is another skills to master.

Then you have guys who think he/she is an expert of pips, but moans non stop, but when I ask - what solution are you doing in terms of passing skills onwards - to both future players, spectators etc, the answer is always silence.

It is common in Asia where some kids/coaches (more), take short cuts and give the (mostly) girls pips, to get easy points.
But then when they grow older, returning balls from pips will become more quality and when speed comes, the survival rate of pips is reduced a lot.

To cut the long story short, the usages of pips is very tough skills to master. Because the opponent skills are very high and pips are very limited - this has been the same every decade for the past 3 of that I have been involved with the sport.
And if it is difficult to master, people tend to choose something easier to do - that is life.

The same with penhold, but you won't get asians coming on with all kinds of theories and complaining 15 days a time on the same forum.
I as a penhold player all mylife will suggest shakehand to anyone who wants to learn from me, simply due to the limitations of a penhold grip + its tough skills to master to become a high level player - these are facts and it is no difference to pip players. For the 2 lp choppers we have, they are the best juniors choppers in the country, but would not get into top 20 in the age group, at best, Top 10 would be the closes they can reach, but it won't be good enough for national team - unless they improve a great load in the next 3 years (both are 15 years old)
We are talking top 3 in the country is top 5 in the world in terms of quality. So very high level in global terms.

The game is more attacking - despite the speed reduction attempt.
We getting a lot more attacking short pip success rate than oppose to lp blocker or chopper. In theory, attacker (being consistent) will always have the upper hand over any defender/blocker/lobber. That is why modern defender has replaced the old school classic defender - most defenders needs to attack to win point. One of the coaches I worked with, was also the best female chopper in the country, that chops with SP on BH, she is too classic, and not modern enough, so her world ranking didn't go beyond 100.

Reactions: PingBirdPong
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Being an inverted rubber user, and not of a high standard, I don’t like playing against LP users!!! This is because basically I’m not good enough!!! Playing against a classic chopper, I don’t like it !!! Again because I’m not good enough!!!
I don’t have enough consistency, and this is what classic defensive players rely on to a certain extent, they want you to make mistakes.

If you are a 2 wing attacker, playing against a classic chopper (SP) you have to be fit, very fit!!! It’s really hard work looping v backspin for rally after rally. If LP are thrown into the mix in the hands of a skilled user, then it can be even harder to deal with!!

At local league level, there are often players that use LP, blocking / pushing more than chopping. These players ‘just stick the bat in the way of the ball’ we complain, they have no skill !! So get over it and train and raise your consistency!! Learn how to play against LP/MP

On a previous post, I asked for some advice on which LP/MP rubbers to buy, for coaching purposes, replies were few!!
As a wanna be coach ( done 1/2 the Session level course, covid stopped finishing it ) in the real grass roots world, where beginners and local league players are the norm. It would be wrong not to coach how to play v LP and disruptive effects.
Also, it would be good to get some more players actually using SP/MP/LP because these options may be the best ones for them as these players don’t want to be a Pro.

Yeah a Vets tournament is a good training ground, and in the future maybe even more so.
Physical condition wear and tear, ageing in general etc mean playing an all out FH orientated attacking game an unlikely option!!!
Using LP or similar becomes a ‘smart call’

ITTF smart call was foe Red/Black combo, as for the rest………??

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Being an inverted rubber user, and not of a high standard, I don’t like playing against LP users!!! This is because basically I’m not good enough!!! Playing against a classic chopper, I don’t like it !!! Again because I’m not good enough!!!
I don’t have enough consistency, and this is what classic defensive players rely on to a certain extent, they want you to make mistakes.

If you are a 2 wing attacker, playing against a classic chopper (SP) you have to be fit, very fit!!! It’s really hard work looping v backspin for rally after rally. If LP are thrown into the mix in the hands of a skilled user, then it can be even harder to deal with!!

At local league level, there are often players that use LP, blocking / pushing more than chopping. These players ‘just stick the bat in the way of the ball’ we complain, they have no skill !! So get over it and train and raise your consistency!! Learn how to play against LP/MP

On a previous post, I asked for some advice on which LP/MP rubbers to buy, for coaching purposes, replies were few!!
As a wanna be coach ( done 1/2 the Session level course, covid stopped finishing it ) in the real grass roots world, where beginners and local league players are the norm. It would be wrong not to coach how to play v LP and disruptive effects.
Also, it would be good to get some more players actually using SP/MP/LP because these options may be the best ones for them as these players don’t want to be a Pro.

Yeah a Vets tournament is a good training ground, and in the future maybe even more so.
Physical condition wear and tear, ageing in general etc mean playing an all out FH orientated attacking game an unlikely option!!!

ITTF smart call was for Red/Black combo, as for the rest………??

This user has no status.

I mean, pimples are fine, and fun to play against. I hate ILLEGAL pips though.
I have a friend who stubbornly uses two black sides, with one side being mid pips, just annoying!

Reactions: IB66
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

IB66,

Your post is kinda depressing to read. It reads "all players eventually will play pips out in their old age" and is ominous to me. 30 years down the line, I am trying to imagine Zhang Jike playing pips out in a white singlet, one ciggies hanging out of his left lips, with a slight protruding mid-section. Depressing image indeed.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Of course NOT ALL Vets are going to change to LP’s, !!! For some this would be sacrilege and a u turn against their fundamental belief 😡

So why does there appear to be more older people using LP/Anti/MP and SP’s?

Is it because they were playing with LP’s and Anti spin in its heyday of twiddling and same colour rubbers?? ( Hell, I can’t even master 1 type of rubber, let alone 2!!!!!!😂 ) and 30+ yrs later nothing except the rubber colour rule has changed for them.

Or

is it because it helps to extend their ability to play at a level that they are use to or happy to play at??

Or

Because they are older and experienced, and have just had enough of serve return kill, serve return kill for 40 yrs!!!!!! and want a new challenge!!!!

Or

The use of LP and anti rubbers was seen differently when they were younger, so it’s not really seen as an issue to use them.

perhaps it’s a mixture of all the above.

what will the TT vets tournaments in 30 yrs time look like??🤔😁😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Lot of older players at my club that use LP's, mostly for blocking but some use for attacking. Also a lot of people at my club that should be using SP's or LP's instead of inverted fh/bh.. One of the great things about the sport. Helps people still compete at all ages and levels of physical abilities. We have a few chopper/defenders also. I play with both inverted and LP's.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
). I should know. The first 15 years of my (prime) tabletennis years, I was told I should only use spinny smooth rubber even though I was a natural chopper on my backhand.

This kind of thinking & brainwashing is what promotes pips hatemongering.

I think you have some serious problems and should seek help.
What ever happened to you when you are younger, doesn't necessary mean every body else was "told" as you were told.

The only hate I see in this forum all week is you.
Macho this, brainwashing that....serious now, please stop!
We have enough of Amber now, we don't need another

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
In gaming, when a strategy becomes over powered (known as template or meta) the game developers would try to balance this out in the next updates.

It’s bad for business when everyone employs the same strategy as the game no longer becomes interesting (other than to the early adopters of the meta who have perfected it and thus dominating the leaderboards + the fame/recognition/$ that comes with it).

The meta for TT equipment:

Blade:
Composite material interwoven with carbon.

Rubber:
FH: H3 boosted, D09C, D05, ESN 50 deg
BH: Same as above though for ESN 47.5 instead of 50.

Like the powerful lobby groups - it is in the overwhelming best interests of Butterfly, DHS and ESN to keep everything the same. They are pretty much operating as a cartel. Is it a wonder prices are creeping up higher and higher?

Look above at the meta, these make the most $$$ - a 5 ply all wood + anti or LP that have durability in years? No chance.

Just follow the money trail….

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Look above at the meta, these make the most $$$ - a 5 ply all wood + anti or LP that have durability in years? No chance.

Female LP players in our team, would need to change min 2 sheets a year.
Other team males change around every 3 months.

Maybe Vets LP players can have the durability you are talking about. Certainly not junior semi-pros

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
I hear pro attackers need to change every week? During competition every 2-3 days.

This user has no status.
In gaming, when a strategy becomes over powered (known as template or meta) the game developers would try to balance this out in the next updates.

It’s bad for business when everyone employs the same strategy as the game no longer becomes interesting (other than to the early adopters of the meta who have perfected it and thus dominating the leaderboards + the fame/recognition/$ that comes with it).

The meta for TT equipment:

Blade:
Composite material interwoven with carbon.

Rubber:
FH: H3 boosted, D09C, D05, ESN 50 deg
BH: Same as above though for ESN 47.5 instead of 50.

Like the powerful lobby groups - it is in the overwhelming best interests of Butterfly, DHS and ESN to keep everything the same. They are pretty much operating as a cartel. Is it a wonder prices are creeping up higher and higher?

META this META that, but have you ever META girl before?😂