"Male" and "female" blades?

This user has no status.
"Male" and "female" blades?

Hi!
Since I feel like I'm one of the few girls here, I was always interested in whether there are certain differences between men and women while choosing equipment?

Of course, women have far less strength, and the girls' game is different. I believe that it must have an effect on choosing the equipment, but I can't quite figure it out.

Poslano sa mog SM-G930F koristeći Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Read 2 reviews
I guess the biggest difference in the men's game and women's game is that most male players tend to prioritize power, whereas control is more important for female players since the rallies tend to be longer in the women's game.
The implications of this difference is that male players tend to go for shots which allow them to produce more 'explosive' shots, e.g. Viscaria, Hurricane Long 5. Whereas female players tend to go for blades with great feeling and precision to give them the control they need in the long rallies, e.g. Liu Shiwen ZLF blade, Photino, Innerforce ALC/ZLC blades

Reactions: h117
This user has no status.
Ive always felt that the womens game has become more "speed" and less spin than mens game.

There are more pips and anti players in the womens game. Leading even more loss of spin and more neutral returns and flat-hit playstyle.

So most womens equipment are like Butterfly ZLF or something with T64 or T80? Something insanely fast and overspeed. I always thought it would be opposite... more control and loop oriented game rather than punch and block and pushes....what do I know [emoji2]

Just my 2 new paise.[emoji2]

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think that the racket choice is not one that needs to be dictated by total physical strength of a player, especially in adults. (It's not tennis). The best female player I've ever known uses a 90 g blade with typical rubbers for high level Chinese players. Maybe little kids would need a lighter blade?

Women do tend to play closer to the table so that could influence equipment choices.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I also think TT is really a sport of touch, finesse and feel. A baseball weighs a lot more than a tennis ball. A tennis ball weighs a lot more than a table tennis ball. If your racket is moving fast, you can impart a lot of speed and a lot of spin on the ball. Yes, someone with more power can power the ball from mid-distance better than someone who is smaller. But.... There are someone women who, in a lot of ways, play like the men.

Some of the things women seem to be able to do naturally, they seem to be faster, they seem to take the ball off the bounce early, they seem to be able to play bang-bang rallies from right up at the table and react to the ball going back and forth really fast. I think this may be why the spin less and bang more. To me, that sounds like Viscaria and other blades like it would be fine for that. So would things like TB ZLC would also be good for that.

But I don't really know. I think, often choices are made as a result of what feels good in your hand and on ball contact.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Hi!
Since I feel like I'm one of the few girls here

This is actually an indicator. On basic levels women just don´t care - or worry - so much about equipment.

Ask a male amateur about his rubbers and the answer might very well be "At the moment I play ABC 2.0 mm, before I have always had XYZ 1.9 but while that had good speed the spin was lacking for the plastic ball, and I am keen to try CBA but it is only availabe in 2.2, maybe I would lose control, and the new ZYX is also on my list, it won´t be out for another three months but if it would just be like the MMM only a margin faster than it would be MY rubber".

A woman might say "I don´t know, I use what my coach gives me. Must take a look."

I have also never encountered a female amateur who was really keen on trying something just for the sake of it. There are men like that of course, who´ll just buy a trusted Sriver and Tackiness combo each year. But so many try to squeeze the last drop out of the equipment, often instead of working on their technique.

On professional level it´s a different story, but not always.

You´ll find some current examples here:
https://www.mytischtennis.de/public...---die-schl-ger-der-german-open-stars-teil-1/
https://www.mytischtennis.de/public...---die-schl-ger-der-german-open-stars-teil-2/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
One more thing, many men wouldn´t be seen dead with a blade named after a female player, that probably being the reason why there are so few. Liu Shiwen and Ai Fukuhara blades should be such a success, and if Mima Ito was a man Nittaku might just as well produce an Acoustic blade as her "signature" model.

Then again, if a blade is ever developed in cooperation with female players, you´d surely find some pink on it (Stiga Azalea). That could be the best blade in the world but few men would even touch it.

However, one female pro player told me she suspects that quite a few men will buy the Bernadette Szocs Signature 1 blade, and not because they need another 7ply all wood blade ;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Xiom is developing blades with red, pink and purple grip, and with Swarovski crystal. I guess they are meant for female players :)
107418335_3367460469973279_3800884183548549835_n.jpg

This user has no status.
Hi!
Since I feel like I'm one of the few girls here, I was always interested in whether there are certain differences between men and women while choosing equipment?

Of course, women have far less strength, and the girls' game is different. I believe that it must have an effect on choosing the equipment, but I can't quite figure it out.

Poslano sa mog SM-G930F koristeći Tapatalk

Good to have you on the Forum. There is far too much testosterone at large!