A rubber between MX-P and EL-S

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
P1ngP0ng3r said:
...Completely true and that's the downside asking advice on a forum/platform like this.
Think we can all agree that your primairy source for equipment advice should be a coach from your own club. A person who actually knows your level of playing, knows your strenghts and weaknesses, your style etc.

Would agree for sure, but what the heck, asking here is free and there are a lot of jokers (like me) who will talk for free.

To support your point... as experienced as Der_Echte is in equipment and technique... Der_Echte his-self was still discovering what would wrok given what Der_Echte does...

... and it took TTD member erm (a former national junior player who knows more about coaching than many coaches) to put me through a process testing many different things before we found out the right category - softer sponged dynamic modern OFF rubber with a control orientation or spin orientation... then zeroed in on appropriate candidates.

What P1ngP0ng3r siad I believe is a true fact that applied to even me

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
To address P1ngP0ng3r's original latest issue (write an essay)...

If one asks some question inquiring about certain properties or inherant advantages of this equiment of that... then of course there would be no reasonable need for someone to discuss his or her level, abilities, etc. The answer would be pretty straightforward... perhaps with a few nuances for different levels.

If someone comes to the forum and asks "what is right for me" or "what am I doing wrong" or how do I overcome this" in terms of equipment or technique, then showing ones level, abilities, preferences, shot making, technique, etc would give the experienced posters a much better reference and would result in much more relevant comments.

When someone is asking about the nuances of a certain equipment in a certain situation or how it would best integrate with what they do... then also this would be a good situation for the poster to provide reference material... often a match vid is good for this.

I know some people hate to do that... and it is within the poster's option to decline such a request for reference vid or description. The poster should just understand, that withou relevant reference material, the answers may not be relevant at all to the poster's needs. many of us are so eager, that we reply anyway... and with so many, there is a lot to filter. it is almost as bad as evading the Goon Squad.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have been just rethinking my question a little bit.

Instead of something that sits between MXP and ELS, what would be your suggestion if I am after a rubber thats slightly more powerful and easier to forehand topspin with?

More powerful probably equals harder to loop with/control. But I don't understand how to judge "easy to loop with". I think that, if you know how to loop, any modern offensive rubber will support your ability to loop. I'm not sure how one is "easier" than others to do a fundamental table tennis stroke.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
More powerful probably equals harder to loop with/control. But I don't understand how to judge "easy to loop with". I think that, if you know how to loop, any modern offensive rubber will support your ability to loop. I'm not sure how one is "easier" than others to do a fundamental table tennis stroke.
You are right zyu81. I guess it isnt really a valid question. Reason I ask that is because I found topspinning with ELS a little tiring. It is good, but I had to put so muhc into it to make the ball penerate. Hence the question easier to loop. I guess a rubber slightly more powerful would make it "easier" to make penerating topspin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
You are right zyu81. I guess it isnt really a valid question. Reason I ask that is because I found topspinning with ELS a little tiring. It is good, but I had to put so muhc into it to make the ball penerate. Hence the question easier to loop. I guess a rubber slightly more powerful would make it "easier" to make penerating topspin

EL-S is softer than MX-P IIRC. A lot of people would find EL-S too soft for the forehand with the modern ball. A harder rubber sounds like what you would want if you want your shots to be more penetrating, but if you meant that you can't get the ball to penetrate your rubber you might want something softer. EL-S shouldn't be hard to penetrate the rubber so if that's what you mean there is probably a technique issue at play.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
EL-S is softer than MX-P IIRC. A lot of people would find EL-S too soft for the forehand with the modern ball. A harder rubber sounds like what you would want if you want your shots to be more penetrating, but if you meant that you can't get the ball to penetrate your rubber you might want something softer. EL-S shouldn't be hard to penetrate the rubber so if that's what you mean there is probably a technique issue at play.

I understnad what you are saying.

I didnt have issue penetrating the rubber itself, just found it tiring to penetrating the other side. Sign of old age and bad stamina maybe lol. A rubber like EL-S but with a bit more oomph would be nice.

Mx-p just felt a bit too fast, didnt mind the middle throw, but the control was a little on the lower side

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Actually, this may make more sense.

I want an EL-S that is 46 degree :D one degree harder than it is... it will still be easy to use, but with a bit more oomph.

Can anyone suggest something that will be like a 46 degree EL-S (originally at around 45degree) ?

Hi Virtuososiu,

Only you can judge, but if you are not at the point where fine tuning 1 degree hardness is enough give a higher landing percentage, then its probably better to get used to the MXP.

As others have mentioned:

1. All the cool cats use it.
2. It will be less bouncy when the tuning wears out.

On the other point, it will be hard to find something more "penetrating", but slower and easier to control at the same time. A very hard rubber might bring you close (less bouncy), but you also said you don't like hard rubbers...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Only you can judge, but if you are not at the point where fine tuning 1 degree hardness is enough give a higher landing percentage, then its probably better to get used to the MXP.
+ used sheets MX-P are cheaper. If you want a rubber whose booster wore off, you might as well scour the internet for used sheets.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
+ used sheets MX-P are cheaper. If you want a rubber whose booster wore off, you might as well scour the internet for used sheets.

If you do not arrange with and make a deal with Scoobie-Doo Sergey for those used MX-P sheets, you are WRONG mister, sir. :D

• Haha
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
zyu81 said:

zyu81 has been correctly and consistently noting what factors are important in his time here.

So much of this will depend on how individual technique and IMPACT of the ball.

I can use MX-P on FH (and DID for a couple yrs) until I tried and used a much wider range of modern dynamic and OFF control rubbers...

I found a SOFT Modern Dynamic rubber is much better suited for me in match play than a middle firm or hard sponged rubber of the same make and model.

Why? My individual impact on SOME of the strokes was there to make good use of it, but on SOME of the other stroke situations it wasn't there. I simply did not (do not yet) have the impact to get the ball into the right depth of the sponge/topsheet on slower balls (unless I was power-driving)... maybe later, after a year or so of realizing this and using a softer sponged rubber, I might develop the impact timing, then the kind of impact I need. Until then, it is soft.

CONTROL is a very often uttered word... but control of WHAT? and WHAT is control anyway?

Control is the aspect that makes it easier to do something... spin the ball, drive the ball, power drive the ball, easier to genrate speed, feel the ball, get the ball into topsheet to do a certain something given your impact... etc

When makers design and make a rubber, there will ALWAYS be some trade-off in physics and performance. There will be no single rubber that does everything outstanding... one or many factors will be diminished to make one or more factors better...

Sometimes, making something less is more. On BH, close to the table, I can use an older pre-plastic ball era rubber (in 2.0 !!! I used to hate on 2.0 so much) and just be killing it on BH wing like a boss in so many shot situations... Nittaku Hammond untuned is pretty slow rubber and not so dynamic by today's standards (if you compare to something 10yrs old like say T05FX).. yet, this slower speed of rubber allows me to take more compact and powerful swings and still control it to land high percentage high quality balls... it doesn't hurt that this rubber is GREAT for handling low balls with topspin... many counter-hitters LOVED this rubber for that property back then when it came out.

I spent some time breaking down why it is better to match a rubber's properties with your kind of impact and shot preferences in a match. That may take some time to discover.

TTD member erm does not come on the forum much. (He is mostly interested blade/rubber trades and talk - he used to have THOUSANDS of blades and used to be a national jr team player in TT and TENNIS)

erm had me go through dozens of rubbers before both he and I noticed what rubbers with what kind of sponge worked for me in different shot situations... that took some serious time and acess to different rubbers.

luckily, erm rolls with several dozen rubbers and blades strong in his gym bag every day, so I benefitted. Not everyone will have a dude like this handy in hte club... yet, TT players are often so willing to allow a 1-2 minute hit with their bat as a sharing thing... so with enough time and effort, just about anyone who goes to a TT club can with time discover what works.

Ultimately, this is so much better than asking on a forum what rubber is boss, because one is gunna get so many different answers that may or may not consider the factors.

THEN, there is THIS. *** - one may also get a rubber a little to firm for what they do, and train with it and adapt good technique... then later, be able to use it. THIS is also a possible way to go about equipment... but I get it, myself included, many of us want something that optimizes our performance RIGHT NOW, not a future date.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Can anyone suggest something that will be like a 46 degree EL-S (originally at around 45degree) ?

A boosted EL-S? Will be softer and more penetrating.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
If you do not arrange with and make a deal with Scoobie-Doo Sergey for those used MX-P sheets, you are WRONG mister, sir. :D

I usually have an aversion to second hand rubbers. But if you cut those MXP's for Sergey, I'd buy them 3rd hand.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Scoobie Doo Sergey Tsos does his own cutting, unless he got them from one of my old bats... :D

Sergey just loves the consistent, linear performance of MX-P after tuner wears out.

Sergey isn't a powerlooper, although sometimes he does go for power on hte shot very occasionally. He is mostly a control player... and de-tuned older MX-P is very controlable for the kind of impact he uses to control the ball. He is better at controlling firmer sponged rubbers than Der_Echte.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Actually, this may make more sense.

I want an EL-S that is 46 degree :D one degree harder than it is... it will still be easy to use, but with a bit more oomph.

I don't think 1 degree of hardness is going to make any difference, especially if just two more degrees of hardness at 47 seems too much for you.

There is likely something you are doing fundamentally wrong on your loop.