What sponge to use to apply glue?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Hello, I'm looking for a cheap sponge I can find on amazon to apply glue.

I also wanted to ask if there was anything wrong with using those magic eraser sponges for applying glue. I have some friends who use magic erasers for gluing because its cheaper then sponges advertised specifically for table tennis. My worry is that there might be some chemical in the magic eraser that would effect the glue, but does anyone have experience on this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
I have been using foam sponge brushes with wooden handles. The 1" width work very well for me, possibly wider ones like 2" are ok too. They can be found anywhere, ebay, aliexpress, amazon etc. I use one side of the sponge when applying on the rubber, turn it over and apply on the blade.

https://www.amazon.com/Artlicious-Foam-Paint-Brush-Value/dp/B072F6BJ81

I believe you can use any kind of soft sponges with small pores, I just feel that the handles make the whole process very simple and easy.

Reactions: sampletext
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Isn't it possible to wash the small table tennis sponges, used for water based glues, and reuse them?
I've tried that but the glue doesn't really wash out and the sponge would have dried glue bits inside it after washing. Unless I'm not doing it correctly, I think I'm better off just buying new sponges.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Isn't it possible to wash the small table tennis sponges, used for water based glues, and reuse them?

I've tried that but the glue doesn't really wash out and the sponge would have dried glue bits inside it after washing. Unless I'm not doing it correctly, I think I'm better off just buying new sponges.

Water Based Glue is a little misleading. The glue is given a chemical process that allows it to be liquid in water until it dries. When it dries, there is a chemical change and then water will not dissolve the glue because it is actually a rubber or latex based glue depending on the kind of glue.

So what everybody calls water based glue is glue that is not soluble in water. But it has been suspended in water for until it dries.

Think about the "water based wood sealants" they make for TT blades as well. If it was water soluble, how could it seal your blade! :)

So, once the WB Glue dries on the sponge, you are not likely to get it out without melting the sponge as well. :)