What's the cause of overshooting ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Hey guys,

Just wanted your opinion on some things:

I played the last years since plastic balls emerged with harder rubbers. I always played with T05fx or similar hardness and changed to Tenergy05 range. I tried Rhyzer 48, Gewo nexus 48 EL,R47,R48,Dynaryz ACC.(You know the medium hard 47-48 ESN range)

Now I play very well with these rubbers, my topspin is a lot harder and faster and has more spin and my overall game is faster and more aggressive.

But 1 thing I tend to notice is, when I make a topspin mistake it's always because I overshoot the ball.
It's never much , the ball always misses by less then 20 cm or sometimes just misses the edge of the table.

Now it doesn't happen much, 90% of my topspins are on the table so I always dismissed these balls by faulty technique,lack of focus etc.

But what bugs me is, that it is always an overshooting ball. I never ever miss a ball by shooting into the net.
Shouldn't a missed ball by like 70% overshooting 30% in the net etc, some kind of balance??
And not 100% shooting over the edge of the table?

And yes it happens more often on hard and fast topspins but it also happens on soft controlled spins sometimes.
I play TT for more then 20 years now so my technique is not gonna change a lot.

My question to you guys is:

Can this maybe be solved by changing to softer rubbers? Since softer rubbers are a bit slower.
Or maybe thinner rubber ? I always play with Max thickness.

Or is it normal that when you play high risk that balls sometimes overshoot?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
Do your shots normally land towards the edge of the table? I'd imagine a thinner sponge might shorten your trajectory a bit, or using a tad slower blade.

If you close your blade angle more then it should also help with that but will probably end up with some net balls.

But 90% accuracy and no net balls is already good.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
If you close the angle you can generate more spin than otherwise, for sure, if you increase your force into the brush. But you will start getting some net balls for sure also.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
Old coaches say: Overshooting is good. Hitting the net is bad.

This is because it is much easier to correct when your shots are going long. Usually it's corrected by putting greater spin on the ball and/or better timing. Correcting a tendency to hit ball into the net is usually a more fundamental technique issue.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Old coaches say: Overshooting is good. Hitting the net is bad.

This is because it is much easier to correct when your shots are going long. Usually it's corrected by putting greater spin on the ball and/or better timing. Correcting a tendency to hit ball into the net is usually a more fundamental technique issue.

Funny. I listened to a pod some weeks ago where a Swedish junior went to Japan and was coached by Norio Takashima. Hitting the net was good according to Takashima but overshooting was bad. Doesn’t make sense but anyways :D

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Funny. I listened to a pod some weeks ago where a Swedish junior went to Japan and was coached by Norio Takashima. Hitting the net was good according to Takashima but overshooting was bad. Doesn’t make sense but anyways :D

Hmm, the only time that would make sense to me is in the short game, touch to touch or maybe serving?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
90% landing percentage in a match is something I would like to have and I am not beginning or intermediate player.

Several things you can do right away.

1) Zieo mentioned already, use a little less power

2) Loosen your grip at impact a little more. This will slow the ball down a little, and depending on the kind of ball and shot you are doing, may or may not make a spinnier ball.

3) When closer to the table, take ball on rise net high or if a little further away, at top of bounce... that will give you more room for error.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,
Sometimes it’s about the ‘micro adjustments’ that are made by your brain subconsciously, every shot you play is analysed in a few hundredths of a second and then actioned, the slightest error in reading what’s happening with the incoming ball and then this is reflected in a ball in the net or overshooting. Being able to make these Subconscious micro adjustments is one of the factors that set the best above the rest!!!!
There’s also ‘muscle memory’ we aim to get good muscle memory by practicing, this decreases the bad muscle memory, but sometimes it just creeps in !!! Also the practice helps with the micro adjustments.
The more experience we have the better we get at dealing with an event
You can try all the suggestions and see what happens. They all have good reasoning and merit.

on a practical side when you are training and especially during a practice match, you can put a cloth across your training partners end of the table by 20cm, either full width or 1/2 width if you’re playing FH to FH. When the ball lands on the cloth it stops the bounce and rally over
You have less table to play on, but this should help with the feel of your shots and groove them to a shorter distance, so when the overshooting happens in a real match situation the ball is more likely to still land on the table.
The amount of cloth on the table can be reduced as you want, you can also form ‘shot alleys’ along the length of your partners side of the table and practice hitting the table at any distance along the ‘alley’
I’ve also used different coloured sheets of paper placed on the table in the alley, say red blue and green, A4 size, both players have the sheets placed on their side of the table and then play a shot onto the colour called out by their partner !!!!

have fun adjusting!!!!!

says Aging is a killer

I think that that that junior misinterpreted Mr Takashima or maybe he (the jnr) was not talking about the topspin drive or loop.
If a player's drives or loops tend to hit the table deep on the opponent's side then coaches love that. It means he has less work to correct technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I think that that that junior misinterpreted Mr Takashima or maybe he (the jnr) was not talking about the topspin drive or loop.
If a player's drives or loops tend to hit the table deep on the opponent's side then coaches love that. It means he has less work to correct technique.

He was looping. It’s a pity that the pod is in Swedish as the other two guys in the pod are elite/ex elite and national coaches. They were quite puzzled and laughing intensely.

Reactions: Tinykin
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I want to buy a pair of shoes. What size shoes should I get? :)

There are many fine comments here. But it is not really possible to tell which of the 100s and 100s of options that could be happening are actually happening without seeing footage. That being said, there are some fine attempts to solve the problem. If any of those guesses match the reasons for the overshooting, then that may be enough.

And the point that 90% is not such a bad stat is also a good point. And if your shots, in general, usually seem to land deep, then working on the ability to control the depth of the shot is very worth while. If you can arc a ball so that it lands fairly close to the net even though it has half decent pace, then you can also take shots that have exponentially wider angles. There are times when more arc so that the ball lands a lot closer to the net has a huge advantage. Slow, short loops when your opponent has backed up to mid-distance can also be very effective in catching your opponent out of position and then taking control of a rally. If all your shots have similar depth, you are limiting your abilities.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW: Some of the things that could be going wrong that would cause you to overshoot:

1) Impact inconsistent but always too deep when off.
2) Grip too tight.
3) Touch too hard.
4) Timing inconsistent but always in the same way.
5) Contact is too direct.
6) Did not correctly assess the amount of topspin on opponent's shot.
7) Put more effort into shot than needed.
8) Arm or shoulder too stiff.
9) Blade too fast for you.
10) Rubber too spin sensitive for you.

There are many more. But those are some that I could imagine off the bat. Feel free to watch footage of yourself and see if you are able to figure out what might be causing the issue. It is quite likely that, if you analyze footage of yourself on a consistent basis, it will help you improve more than you realize is possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Start aiming for the net. I think doing the same mistake over and over again is almost stupidity. Next time you miss it is better if you put the ball in the net. So aim for the net.

Reactions: yoass and lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
He was looping. It’s a pity that the pod is in Swedish as the other two guys in the pod are elite/ex elite and national coaches. They were quite puzzled and laughing intensely.

Any chance you could help us with a link to the podcast? I’m Danish, so I’d love to know about any good Swedish podcasts? :eek: