Short Pips Backhand Help

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Since u are transitioning to short pips BH, I probs suggest using a cheaper SP sheet like RITC 802-40 Mystery III. If the sheet that i first recommended you doesn't fit well, then maybe the Spectol Red may work (Spectol Blue is harder, making it more of a forehand rubber). If you get used to SPs as a backhand, then i would suggest Nittaku Moristo SP (if it works for Mima Ito, it would probs suite you as well). Overall, it would all come down to your playing style, whether you have already learned most of the basics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ivek
This user has no status.
Since u are transitioning to short pips BH, I probs suggest using a cheaper SP sheet like RITC 802-40 Mystery III. If the sheet that i first recommended you doesn't fit well, then maybe the Spectol Red may work (Spectol Blue is harder, making it more of a forehand rubber). If you get used to SPs as a backhand, then i would suggest Nittaku Moristo SP (if it works for Mima Ito, it would probs suite you as well). Overall, it would all come down to your playing style, whether you have already learned most of the basics.

Thank you for the suggestion, I already have the basics down since my father plays the 802-40 so I tried it but the rubber is old and worn down so I dont really know if I will have the same kind of feeling.

Based on the review from tt11 blog for Spectol Red, I saw that it had a pretty high block rating.

And what about the thickness of the sponge, it goes on a IceCream AZX blade, do I need to go a lower thickness to not go full speed on it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
A call out from Der Echte? Wow.

Spectol Red is great, on the faster end of modern pips out rubbers, and IMO one of the best out there for block and smash. Considering you use Omega 7's, speed shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Red is softer and bouncier than the Blue, so I would choose that for the backhand. I would also recommend the 1.8-2.0mm version (stay away from max) as the sponge is not the most crisp feeling.

I don't (can't) chop, so can't help you there. Though I have heard choppers prefer slower classic pips like 802 and Spectol (original).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think you need to decide more how you want to play with it. There are short pimples with more or less grip. Easier to spin with the ones with grip but more effect with the ones with less grip.

This user has no status.
A call out from Der Echte? Wow.

Spectol Red is great, on the faster end of modern pips out rubbers, and IMO one of the best out there for block and smash. Considering you use Omega 7's, speed shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Red is softer and bouncier than the Blue, so I would choose that for the backhand. I would also recommend the 1.8-2.0mm version (stay away from max) as the sponge is not the most crisp feeling.

I don't (can't) chop, so can't help you there. Though I have heard choppers prefer slower classic pips like 802 and Spectol (original).

Being blessed only with living legends on this post.

Thank you for your recommendation. I think I will order a sheet of Spectol Red, 1.8mm.

For chopping I meant more of a chop block on the table Koki Niwa style, if I'll ever make a chop like that.
Just one more question, opinions about Vega SPO and the Victas line of short pips for future reference for other players?

This user has no status.
I think you need to decide more how you want to play with it. There are short pimples with more or less grip. Easier to spin with the ones with grip but more effect with the ones with less grip.

Playstyle would be blocking and punch blocking topspins and drives, with offensive chopping here and there.
Not much a spinner on backhand but if need be I can do it, although not relieably.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Playstyle would be blocking and punch blocking topspins and drives, with offensive chopping here and there.
Not much a spinner on backhand but if need be I can do it, although not relieably.

Spectol should be a pretty sure bet for your stated requirements.

Never tried the Vega pips. But from the Victas line, they are just commissioned ESN rubbers based on the characteristics of the TSP Spinpips and Spectol lines. What they ended up with is something VERY close to the good ol Andro Blowfish series.

Can't compare the Spectol to Victas 101 and Blowfish+ directly as I don't own the Victas and Andro versions.

But comparing TSP spinpips Red, Victas 102, and Andro Blowfish. I think the TSP is faster and more durable. But the 102 and Blowfish are grippier. Spectol uses the same sponge as the Spinpips.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I used Spectol Red 1.8mm when I switched to short pimples, used for about a year mostly with some experiments.
I switched to Spinlord Keiler (mid pimples) which suit me better.

Spectol Red are quite responsive and very good for hitting and blocking!

I would recommend Yinhe(Galaxy) Uranus Poly Max. It may not be faster than rubbers like rakza po, waran or 102 but the rubber itself is very consistent and controllable on hitting ,punch blocks . Also you can chop with this rubber very well , the ball goes linear and loaded when chopping of course not easier than an ox rubber to do. I used it on a fast blade. On backhand you can easily block and hit the ball and also chop the ball and its trajectory is linear and fast. On forehand you can easily smash the ball that comes over net even if its close.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
I would also recommend Yinhe Uranus Max. Its really a good short pips on backhand. Right now im using it on a Andro 7 plies wood. Its really nice to playing with.
Maybe im changing over to a faster wood, because my new Apollo 5 forehand rubber fells quite slow on my Andro wood,
but Uranus pip, is really amazing