Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
For me LSW's serves were just too simple at such a high world class level competition and it was on numerous occasions easily received by the Japanese team where especially Mima Ito often just plainly smacked straight through LSW's serve. All I saw from LSW's serve was only 2 overly simple variations -> one was the shovel and the other plain and simple light backspin serve.

The fact that both of these overly simple serves didn't even have any variatiations in the height of tossing the ball made it even easier to take advantage by the Japanese team. She barely even tosses the ball and looks very unrefined and "stiff" compared to Mima Ito serves. Overall it seems like LSW on many occasions put Xu Xin at a vulnerable position by doing serves that were very predictable for the Japanese team to take the initiative and attack after receiving it.

I don't see the Japanese team winning had Ding Ning played instead who has a wider variety of more complex serves and would've been able to cover shots coming wide which LSW also failed on many occasions.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
And it's unusual for the Chinese team to be out-smacked where the Japanese team were the ones doing hard shots most of the time and LSW doing slow-spinny brush loops which on many occasions were smacked right through by Mima Ito.

The Chinese are usually the ones known mostly for playing hard hitting shots but not in this match where it seems like it was the other way round here and it was almost the most noticeable in the last game where those slow spinny brush loops were easily taken advantage of by Japanese pair.

LSW also seemed so overwhelmed in the counter-looping game where she missed the ball many times in those longer rallies.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
And it's unusual for the Chinese team to be out-smacked where the Japanese team were the ones doing hard shots most of the time and LSW doing slow-spinny brush loops which on many occasions were smacked right through by Mima Ito.

The Chinese are usually the ones known mostly for playing hard hitting shots but not in this match where it seems like it was the other way round here and it was almost the most noticeable in the last game where those slow spinny brush loops were easily taken advantage of by Japanese pair.

LSW also seemed so overwhelmed in the counter-looping game where she missed the ball many times in those longer rallies.

it is known though that LSW injured herself last year, and obviously she struggled to regain her full level after her surgery.
credit for the CNT to not let her down. but yeh, perhaps WANG Manyu would have done better for example.

Reactions: sampletext
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Up until tonight, XinWen never lost to MimaJun.

Korea Open 2019 SF 3-1
Australian Open 2019 R16 LSW withdrew
Swedish Open 2019 F 3-2
WTGF 2019 F 3-2
German Open 2020 F 3-1
Tokyo 2020 F 3-4, 0:8 opening.

The way Japan progressed to the final and won its first-ever gold medal in table tennis(a 33-year wait) resembles how Hong Kong won its first-ever gold medal in fencing today. Cheung Ka Long beat the reigning world no. 1 in R16(his previous best at Rio 2016), made a miracle comeback in the QF from 9:14 to win 15:14, got through the SF with a solid win, and then defeated the defending Olympic champion he had never beaten before in the final(2 losses in 2013, 2017).

A difficult draw turns out to be better at the Olympics...(looking at WCT/DHK 😭) Harimoto: So true!(Pitchford ousted by Jorgic, Gnanasekaran ousted by Lam Siu Hung, and Lam Siu Hang ousted by Harimoto) Were he in the lower half, Jang Woojin would've been waiting.

LGL said the following in another interview in Jan 2019:
@2:12
But in terms of the global trend
there has been a huge shift
due to the reemergence of Japan
There's also Korea and Germany
and these up and coming Europeans
Originally, China should be way ahead of the pack
which is the reason we could dominate in the last 3 Olympics
However, the reemergence of Japan can be felt
closing the gap inch by inch
On some occasions
we don't even have any advantage
Even more, the opponent has home advantage and they're also younger
still with many possibilities

So for the next 1.5 years, I'll have to rack my brain
to evaluate these possibilities, the upper limits
and our potentials, our concerns
What are the challenges preparing for Tokyo 2020?
Perhaps folks have gotten used to China winning
especially in the past 2 decades
dominating in the past 3 Olympics
Do you think Japan, as the host, in Tokyo
can stand listening to the "March of the Volunteers" 5 times?
seeing the China's flag high up?
Are they convinced by that?
It's not like they're unconvinced now
They've been unconvinced for the past 2 decades
So in my opinion, as the opponent, it's all or nothing at times like this
Or death match, in other words
No matter what, they have to take the gold medal from the CNT
As to which one(s) they take
they're calculating, and so are we
The CNT is different from others
because we have so many outstanding players
As to who will participate, the internal competition is very fierce
Take the women's for example
There are 7 key players
Why does Ito have it better?
Because she's a raw-pips player
But for our 7 key players, they're all double-inverted
Hence, to a large extent, it's hard to blame them
for putting their focus more on internal competition
So despite the focus now is on Mima Ito
on the objectives and specifics of the counter measures
it's IMO they've not done their best
Internal competition, if done right, is a good thing
But say you don't, there could be run-ins
that could affect the team
But for Japan, it's more clear
Say Mima Ito and Tomokazu Harimoto
it's very clear these 2 will play (in Tokyo 2020)
Basically, the game plan is built around these 2
But for us
the surface area is relatively broader
This is what I say the difference between the inner and outer sides
There's also what I just mentioned
the gap b/w the 2 teams is closing
Because it appears the CNT has gotten used to winning
dropping 1 match or 1 gold
People might feel we've failed
But for them(Japan)
getting 1 gold is a breakthrough
getting 2 golds is a huge success
They definitely don't want to return empty-handed

I'd rather overestimate the opponent than the opposite
Underestimating the opponent is IMO the most asinine

Japan has gotten 3 gold medals on day 3, and tops the medal table with 8 gold/2 silver/3 bronze. An impressive start.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
You lose the lefty-righty combination if you play Ding Ning and Xu Xu Xin. I mean, they are a strong double. They made the finals quite easily but as the favourites, definitely felt the pressure.

What I find interesting is the small margins that decide a game may be given too much importance. If XX/LSW had a small lead in the seventh, they could have pressed their advantage and and won and Xu Xin could have cemented his legacy as the best doubles Player of all time

Similarly, had Waldner completed the comeback against Kong Linghui in 2000 after getting to the deciding set after trailing 0-2, he would be the greatest of all time without question (unless Ma Long wins a second Gold). A single day can define an entire career

Jan 2018
https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-26/doc-ikqciyzk7787837.shtml
  这是乒乓球混双项目首次出现在奥运赛场上。中国金牌组合许昕/刘诗雯自搭档以来,在奥运会前创造了38胜1负的战绩,唯一失利的比赛是输给中国香港组合黄镇廷/杜凯琹。因此,他们以世界排名第一拿到了本次东京奥运会乒乓球混双项目的头号种子。
This is the first time the table tennis mixed doubles event is featured in the Olympics. China's gold medal combination Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen has created a record of 38 wins and 1 loss before the Olympics since they partnered. The only loss was to Hong Kong, China combination Wong Chun Ting/Doo Hoi Kem. Therefore, they were the top seed by world ranking in the mixed doubles event of the Tokyo Olympics.

https://twitter.com/haritomo0627/status/1419650053983985665
張本智和 Harimoto Tomokazu @haritomo0627 · 5h
金メダル!🥇
すごすぎる、本当にすごすぎる。
水谷さん伊藤さんおめでとうございます!
Gold medal! 🥇
It's too amazing, it's really too amazing.
Congratulations to Mizutani-san and Ito-san!

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-26/doc-ikqciyzk7791373.shtml
  伊藤美诚接受了采访,她表示:“我很开心,这么多人支持我,让我很享受。”

随后,她透露了自己接下来的愿望:“明天我将出战单打比赛,我会尽我所能的去拼。我现在已经开始瞄准下一个目标了。”
Mima Ito was interviewed, and she said: "I am very happy that so many people support me and I enjoy it very much."

Then, she revealed her next wish: "I will start in singles tomorrow. I will try my best to fight. I have now started to aim for the next goal."

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-26/doc-ikqciyzk7794144.shtml
  赛后刘诗雯在接受采访时伤心落泪,她觉得有点对不起团队:“其实我自己还好,但我觉得有点对不起我们这个团队,觉得整个团队为了混双,大家都付出了很多,很想在比赛当中完成好这个任务,觉得对不起大家。”谈及比赛时,刘诗雯表示:“比赛过程当中到后面蛮想释放出来,但是觉得一些球可能还是没有足够的力量吧。”

许昕在谈及比赛时认为前两局拼的不错:“前两局拼的不错,三、四局领先时没有完全释放,对手在落后时搏了几个,后面我们的质量,尤其是在我这方面确实有所下降,很多球都是想先把落点打好,但对手反而搏的更凶,一直在落后就拼命想去咬,技战术跟套路打的就没这么清晰了。”
After the match, Liu Shiwen was in tears during an interview. She felt a little sorry for the team: "I’m actually okay, but I feel a little sorry for our team. I feel that the whole team has given a lot for the mixed doubles, and I really wanted to accomplish the mission well. I am sorry to everyone.” Talking about the match, Liu Shiwen said: “I wanted to unleash myself later on in the match, but I think some balls might not have enough power.”

Talking about the match, Xu Xin thinks that the first 2 games were good: "The first 2 games were good, but the flow was not fully freed when we were ahead in games 3 and 4. They gambled a few shots when behind. Our quality later on, especially my part, did have a drop, focusing on placement first on many shots, but they were more aggressive. We kept trying to bite(hang on) after lagging behind, and the skills, tactics, and set plays were not so clear."

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-26/doc-ikqciyzk7795075.shtml
  虽然从表情和语气都能看出李晓霞也对丢掉这枚金牌很遗憾,但她始终表示,对于许昕、刘诗雯这两位老将还是要给予更多的鼓励和支持。“首先我觉得还是祝贺日本队,虽然说我们输了,但是一定还是要给我们运动员更多的鼓励和支持。因为这5年的复出,尤其对于这两名老将来讲,其实是复出了很多很多。然后他们能站在奥运会的赛场上,其实就是已经是胜利者了。还是希望大家能够多给他们一些掌声吧!多给他们一些鼓励。虽然是竞技体育总会有个输赢,但是我觉得还是要更多的时间,然后让他们好好的调整,然后把后面的比赛能够打好。”

在说到昕雯组合在比赛中的表现时,李晓霞点评说:“至于今天的比赛来讲,我觉得,前面两局来讲,我们觉得更多的是我们占有很多的主动,然后跟我们预期的、想的差不多。但是在后面这五局来看,我觉得多多少少,从这个技术环节到人的这种思想环节上,都有一些受对方的压制,尤其是在这个人的方面,可能在这个后面3-2落后、3-3、第七局,更多打的不是一个技战术了。奥运会赛场上更多打的是一个心理战,当然我们的压力肯定比日本队压力更大一些。因为大家都知道嘛,乒乓球只要站在第二的那个领奖台上,可能都是失败者吧!所以我觉得今天日本队来讲,我觉得可能抓我们心理,这两名运动员(的心理)抓得比较好,所以在后面的比赛,我觉得多多少少,许昕和刘诗雯还是有些保守。”
Although it can be seen from her expression and tone that Li Xiaoxia is also sorry for losing the gold medal, she always said that more encouragement and support should be given to the 2 veterans Xu Xin and Liu Shiwen. "First of all, I think I would like to congratulate the Japanese team. Although we have lost, we must give our athletes more encouragement and support. Because of the 5-year investment, especially for these 2 veterans, they have actually given a lot. Then the fact that they can stand in the Olympics arena, they are already winners. I still hope that everyone can give them more applause! Give them more encouragement. Although there is always a winner and loser in competitive sports, I think more time is needed, and let them make good adjustments, and then can play the next match well."

When talking about the performance of XinWen's combination in the game, Li Xiaoxia commented: "As for today's match, I think, in the first 2 games, we feel that we have a lot of initiative, and then follow our expectations. But in the next 5 games, I think more or less, from the techniques to the player’s psychology, there is some suppression from the other side, especially in the player's aspect. It may be that later on when behind 3-2, 3-3, and the 7th game, the match is not about techniques or tactics anymore. The Olympics is more of a psychological battle. Of course, our pressure is definitely greater than that of the Japanese team. Because everyone knows that as long as table tennis[China] stands on the silver podium, it may be a loser! So I think for the Japanese team today, they got into our heads. These 2 athletes(' mindset) are handled better, so in the latter games, I think Xu Xin and Liu Shiwen are still somewhat conservative."

Post-match press conference below. Too long. Use Google Translate.
许昕:输球结局整个国乒都接受不了 日本队更坚决
Xu Xin: The entire CNT can't accept the bad end | The Japanese team is more resolute
https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-26/doc-ikqciyzk7798357.shtml

水谷隼:感到中国选手也是凡人 伊藤:把我抱疼了
Mizutani: I feel that Chinese players are also mortals | Ito: It hurt when you hug me
https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-26/doc-ikqcfnca9196224.shtml

许昕盛赞伊藤美诚 刘诗雯:无法接受失利这个结果
Xu Xin praises Mima Ito | Liu Shiwen: The defeat is unacceptable
https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-26/doc-ikqcfnca9197725.shtml

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

Defo her last international tournament, so I would have thought a gold for XD would be the best consolation (I would have supported Ito for WS Gold wholeheartedly). Wells, another blemish on LSW's career then – Moscow 2010 and Tokyo 2020 😫

Its a tough case study as we try see the positives as they did give their best efforts and olympics is about something different for most, not always winning and losing but Chinese table tennis Gold Medal is objective what they strive to achieve, pressure put in them etc.... Silver medal would in a way haunt them especially if against non Chinese. Wang Hao 3 silver medals in a way living with that disappointment.

Honestly I hope each XX & LSW can regroup and focus on team event to try salvage some of what they missed out on. Great efforts to both Mima and Jun on a job well done.

LSW great competititor but think future coaches will think twice now before allowing someone with extended injury break a chance to compete in big event. Maybe now they aren't doubting their decision for Women's singles. This tournament also reflection on coaching too, if Mima wins another Gold in whatever event, expect fall out in coaching ranks too.

​​​​

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
i don't know what's going to happen in the end, but down 3-10 in the 5th, JYS wins 9 points in a row to win 12-10 vs. Gionis of Greece.Edit: JYS wins 14-12 in the 7th. Heartbreaker for Gionis

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Which one is the greater comeback? Ito/Mizutani trailing 2-9 and 6-10 in the 7th and winning 16-14 in the end, or Jeoung Youngsik trailing 4-10 when down 1-3 in sets, then going all the way to win 14-12 in the 7th? Surely it must be Jeoung's comeback?

I think Ito/Mizutani's comeback is greater. Doubles is way harder as the outcome depends on both you and your partner. There's also the added pressure of it being a Gold medal match. Not to take anything away from JYS.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Tomorrow I think that on the men's side almost all games will be difficult to predict.
Maybe except the Chinese, the only safe victories are for Niwa and Calderano.
The same thing for the women's side, only ITO, ISHIKAWA, and CIC will have an easy match.
What do you think?

Sorry but brokeback Meng Yu takes CIC 4-0 heh

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
itiyu5.tv
chinese site, no vpn needed, prob go the cctv or cctv5+ during match time. should play at least the chinese matches i imagine
if you have vpn, i've got more options

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016

yeh not very brilliant from Lily.

looks like CHENG I Ching over-celebrated her medal yesterday. Mima goes thru 4-1.

After losing the XD bronze medal match (not that there was much hope to win) Lebesson suffered martyrdom against TT God FZD -3 -4 -3 -4.
did he deserve that ?

No problem for ML and Calderano

Jan 2018