Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews

Exactly. He lost to a good player. It isn't what he wanted, but it was what he could do.

This. It's easy to watch from the couch and be like he should've done this, should've done that. I'm fairly certain Harimoto and his coaches know better than anyone here and did the best they could at the time.

Harimoto might as well have won the match, would anyone be saying that he should've gone more full out or served more long if that were the case?
Darko's backhand is super powerful and he played very well. Perhaps he still would've won if Harimoto changed tactics. With such a close scoreline I don't think you can jump to too many conclusions.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Yu Mengyu looking at a disadvantage but manages to take the first game

First game 7-9 -> 11-9
Second game 5-9 -> 11-9
Third game: 11-9
Fourth game: 8-11
Fifth game: 7-11

Yu Mengyu sets up a quarterfinal meeting with SENPAI!
Previous encounters put YMY at 7W and senpai at 8W. Last match was back in 2016. Can't wait.

Jan 2018
This. It's easy to watch from the couch and be like he should've done this, should've done that. I'm fairly certain Harimoto and his coaches know better than anyone here and did the best they could at the time.

Harimoto might as well have won the match, would anyone be saying that he should've gone more full out or served more long if that were the case?
Darko's backhand is super powerful and he played very well. Perhaps he still would've won if Harimoto changed tactics. With such a close scoreline I don't think you can jump to too many conclusions.

Quoting my own post from page 5 of this thread:
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2021-06-20/doc-ikqciyzk0770318.shtml

When speaking of the stronger opponents in his mind, Captain Long said: "I think Harimoto and Lin Yun-Ju, including Pitchford, and actually many others. I think there are many young ones, such as Darko and Pucar. I think these athletes have a very strong impact, and they may be different from the age-old players in the past. In the past few years, and coupled with the pandemic situation last year, I have not (played) these players very much and played very little, and given the limited understanding, anything could happen, so there is always such an element of uncertainty."

Interview with WTT
https://weibo.com/7556183438/KlarnbrQ9?from=page_1006067556183438_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime
Translation by edgesandnets
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-Ma-Long-Discusses-Olympics-and-More-With-WTT

Extra:
Darko Jorgic - best backhand ever?
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?22849-Darko-Jorgic-best-backhand-ever

vik

This user has no status.

vik

This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Definitely Jorgic is a good player with a superb BH, very impressive

I really feel Harimoto was far from his best, Jorgic did give him a few misses but he couldn't capitalize on it. He was waaaayy too nervous
His performance pales compared to Mizutani who was all out against Germany or China when there was no other choice.

Harimoto just became like all of us amateur players, playing worse and worse and with more fear as we enter the money time in each game.

After the 2019 exit to the young korean, yes we can say Harimoto is not of the highest class of champions unfortunately. He cannot withstand the highest pressure.

Harimoto has always troubled against players with strong bachhand,since his forehand is weak and jorgic backhand is better I really expected Jorgic could win.Jorgic gave realy hard time even malong.

Reactions: tropical
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Jan 2018
YMY: How did I drop G1 after leading 7:4? G2 is more like it.

Reactions: driversbeat
Jan 2018
Jan 2018
YMY has serious trouble receiving that pendulum serve to her short FH.

YMY 4:2, 5:8, 8:8, 8:9(Ishikawa's edge), 8:10(Ishikawa's net), 9:10, 10:10(Ishikawa's net but didn't win it), 10:11, 11:11, 11:12(Ishikawa's TO), 12:12, 14:12!

🙈

YMY 11:6!

🙉

YMY 11:0, 11:2!

😱

Folks, you know the drill!

Retire, Ishikawa!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Only a sliver of hope from Yu Mengyu. She's drawn into the same bracket and Cheng and Ishikawa so there's a remote chance that she could be a surprise semifinalist. But then again she'll have to get past one of the 3 top seeds for a medal which is pretty much mission impossible.

Called it.
So proud of Yu Mengyu 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Called it.
So proud of Yu Mengyu 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

She has beaten too many good players with relative ease to put anything past her at this point. The Chinese will really study her game. She has been off the radar for so long....

Jan 2018
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
and thats why i've been saying all the time they should take Hayata and not Ishikawa.
Even Hirano would have made it to SF.

got nothing against YMY, but Ishikawa totally collapsed mentally. even in G1 you could feel how stiff she was.

Rallies are also much slower than with Ito, and chinese players. Both players don't stand a chance.

but 0-10. YMY was very kind not to give her the ultimate humiliation.

The 2 japanese stars couldn't stand the pressure. still not too late for Hari. He should take on yoga or something like that

Reactions: Vlad Celler