Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Remember when Dima was the GOAT of about 2 months era? Back when the new rankings made him world number 1.

This era thing is absolutely silly. I would maybe entertain a thought of 2 eras: before and after the sponge. But between JOW's time and now not nearly enough has changed for us not to compare them all. The biggest deal was obviously the 38-40 transition but it didn't change the game dramatically, as clearly demonstrated by multiple players who managed to retain top status through the change (including Waldner himself). Some people, like Boll and Vladi, survived not one but TWO ball changes and were world class with any ball. That's enough proof to me that there was no real shift in the paradigm.

So yeah, Ma Long it is, by a landslide. Waldner had his chances, Wang Hao had his (3 finals!!), Zhang Jike had his, yet not one of them did it and Ma Long did.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
https://tw.appledaily.com/sports/20210806/UHUJWRCX55ERRDDXYOHD2BNHAE/
林昀儒受訪時超級十足省話,他表示:「未來專注訓練,很享受團隊作戰,謝謝國人支持,未來會更努力表現。」

個人賽部分,世界排名第8的「台灣一姐」鄭怡靜,在混雙銅牌戰隔天出戰女子桌球單打,卻爆冷在32強,以0比4不敵中國移籍新加坡的于夢雨遭淘汰。教練鄭佳奇事後透露,因休息時間不夠在賽前就曾向大會要求,希望將個人賽的賽程延後,卻遭到拒絕,只好硬著頭皮打。鄭怡靜也無奈地說,狀態還沒調整回來就上場比賽,但輸球也不能找原因,只能自己繼續努力。
When Lin Yun-Ju was interviewed, he was super succinct. He said: "In the future, I will focus on training and enjoy teamwork. Thank you for your support. I will work harder in the future."

In the individual event, the world's 8th "Taiwan's No. 1" Cheng I-Ching played in the women's singles the next day after the mixed doubles bronze medal match, but was upset in the R32, losing 0-4 to Yu Mengyu, who moved to Singapore from China. Coach Zheng Jiaqi revealed afterwards that she had requested before the match, that due to insufficient rest time, to postpone the schedule of the match, but was rejected and had to bite the bullet. Cheng I-Ching also reluctantly said that she had to play before her condition could be adjusted, but there is no excuse for losing, so she could only continue to work hard on her own.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Oh boy. That was a lot of TT watching and TT immersion for me. There are still a few matches I want to go back and watch but will give it a break for a while. Hopefully the streamed matches will be available later.

Big shout out to the streaming on nbcolympics.com. Great job, zero issues with the stream except for day 1 when the audio was out of sync with the video.

Tokyo Olympics TT really delivered despite the empty stadium.

Congratulations to the winners and all the athletes really. They put on a wonderful show. The drama, the fight, the intensity of competition. What a way to showcase table tennis.

Onto the Worlds. Hopefully covid delta is better contained by then and the event is held with spectators.

Reactions: pongfugrasshopper
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
INTELLIGENT SERVING.Back in the month of January, I had communicated directly with Lin Yun's fostering-coach.Of course, he was surprised at me at first ;) and afterwards he responded to me gratefully, and he eventually made the best use of my "winning servings". You must have seen those "winning servings" on some TV episodes that Lin Yun serving the ball down the line erratically, to his GREAT benefit. Yes, he is definately the best intelligent server I ever seen.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
To summarize this Tokyo Olympic Games:
Ma Long makes history winning his second gold medal in the singles event
China still remain untouchable in the team's event
Lin Yun Ju and Dimitrij Ovtcharov pulled out an amazing performance still sadly it wasn't enough
Harimoto seems to have not found a solution to his old problems (footwork, forehand, etc.)
Mizutani and Ito were simply incredible beating china in the mixed double final.
Fan has not reached his psychological peak probably the defeat against Ma Long in the final was only a matter of mental fear.
Chen Meng finally has gold in big events
Timo unfortunately even this time has not performed well in the singles event.
Honorable mention Omar Assar and Darko Jorgic both played fantastically.

Hope i did not forget anything.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
To summarize this Tokyo Olympic Games:
Ma Long makes history winning his second gold medal in the singles event
China still remain untouchable in the team's event
Lin Yun Ju and Dimitrij Ovtcharov pulled out an amazing performance still sadly it wasn't enough
Harimoto seems to have not found a solution to his old problems (footwork, forehand, etc.)
Mizutani and Ito were simply incredible beating china in the mixed double final.
Fan has not reached his psychological peak probably the defeat against Ma Long in the final was only a matter of mental fear.
Chen Meng finally has gold in big events
Timo unfortunately even this time has not performed well in the singles event.
Honorable mention Omar Assar and Darko Jorgic both played fantastically.

Hope i did not forget anything.

Before winning gold in mixed doubles, Mizutani/Ito pull off a miraculous comeback against Germany after being down 2-9 and 6-10 in the 7th in the XD semi-finals.
Pink hair Minnie Soo Wai Yam beats two German stalwarts she's never beaten before, Shan Xiaona and Han Ying, to anchor Hong Kong to a WT Bronze medal.
Yu Mengyu, whose career has been plagued with injuries, outperforms expectations making it into the WS semi-finals beating CIC and Kasumi Ishikawa along the way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Congrats to China
Very disappointed in Fan tho
For his standards, underwhelming performance, Always talks about responsibility but he didn't show up both in worlds and olympics, Who knows how good lyj, th, wcq and blooming europeans like jorgic are gonna be in 3 years time? Even ljk and lgy should not be written out, they are world beaters on their Best day

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Please When is the next tournament, And most importantly the worlds??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 1 reviews
Someone help me? I have as a racket base a Donic Ovtacharov senso n 1 with 2 rubber Dignic 09c and I have a Viscaria with 2 Tenergy 05. I love having these 2 options. Not happy I bought the Blade Butterfly Ovtacharov Alc and two rubber dignic 05 (here is the problem). I saw the Ovtacharov review and I put 3 layers of glue on rubbers and 1 layer of glue on the blade (first time I did this). What I thought was going to be a prefect result turned out to be the worst result of the 3. I explain why quickly, when I do a strong top spin, I don't have the same ball sensitivity on the blade as I have with the other 2 sets and that in moments important ones take away my confidence. I have much more confidence attacking with tenergy or D09c than with this set. My question is as follows. Is the problem with the blade? the problem is with rubber? Or is the problem in the amount of glue I put? I would greatly appreciate if someone would help me

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

Thanks bro, please do you have a link to a recorded stream of the finals today, or the women's finals or both
Any body please?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Oh, seems like Mizutani has officially announced his retirement. Wells, never really liked him but he did really well during the XD finals so congratulations to him and he should be remembered as one of the best Japanese players in history. Really took on the senpai mantle for his concluding act in Tokyo ~

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Oh, seems like Mizutani has officially announced his retirement. Wells, never really liked him but he did really well during the XD finals so congratulations to him and he should be remembered as one of the best Japanese players in history. Really took on the senpai mantle for his concluding act in Tokyo ~

yes he announced his retirement. Harimoto tried to convince him otherwise but it was to no avail

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/9b2a2ad2c7c3006a87a32c148347ccf330faee16

He even says he wants to quit totally table tennis (so won't see him in T-League, or coaching...) for good

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Reactions: pongfugrasshopper
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews

No, YouTube them! mainly big games involving big teams like China, Japan or big singles matches involving Ma Long, Chen Meng, Mima Ito, Ovtcharov, Lin Yun-ju he commentated

I really did. When you put ovtcharov vs lin yun ju Olympics you got some old videos of previous matches or photos with comments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020

yes he announced his retirement. Harimoto tried to convince him otherwise but it was to no avail

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/9b2a2ad2c7c3006a87a32c148347ccf330faee16

He even says he wants to quit totally table tennis (so won't see him in T-League, or coaching...) for good

I’ll miss his game. I started to know world class table tennis when he started to become a world star. Love his calm manner (albeit sometimes lack of aggression needed to put him to the very very top maybe). He is certainly one of the few who guarantees to give you some long rally in any match.

I think it’s time for me to get used to the like of Harimoto, Wang Chuqin and Lin Yun Yu.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi