Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Uda is a lefty. They should've gone for Togami. He's right-handed and the only one who took out Mizutani at the ATTC 2021 trial. Uda lost badly to Mizutani and Sora Matsushima in the group.

Togami made good progess and I would have preferred him over Niwa for sure. COVID made it hard for these young players because almost all world tour tournaments were cancelled last and this year.

I don't see how they can win against Korea, they have to rely on two Harimoto wins once again which isn't guaranteed as we could see today. If he wins two singles hoping for Mizutani is their best.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi

vik

This user has no status.

vik

This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Togami and Uda are both very promising players. Technically i don't know if they're as good as Mizutani or Harimoto, but they are definitely very fit, and both have amazing quick footwork. They remind me of young Xu Xin or Ryu SeungMin

What happened Oshima?He was realy good.or Ueda,are they finished?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014

What happened Oshima?He was realy good.or Ueda,are they finished?

they both stalled i think. They were quite promising but haven’t improved further. They couldn’t even stand out in domestic competitions, so i think there is no reason for japan to pick them for olympics.

Togami looks a better prospect, good technique and physicality. I really think if japan picked him instead of Niwa, they would have better chance to win Germany. But it could also backfire because he is young and doesn’t have much experience. Niwa is a safer choice. I’m hoping Togami would take Mizutani place in jnt after this, he is much more talented than Uda imo.

This user has no status.
I really struggle to understand why you wouldn't re-use such an experienced doubles team as Falck/Persson especially in a match where you need your best singles player (Kallberg) to feature often. That said, Persson is a great TT mind and coach, he probably saw stuff in practice that didn't translate to the matches.

Yes, I was being unnecessarily harsh on him, he knows way more than I ever will about what team to use when. Also, do you mean Falck/Karlsson as opposed to Falck/Persson. Jon is a good doubles guy, but not at the Olympic level. Today's win for Germany over Japan and also Taipei really shows how much of a difference having 2 elite players vs 1-1.5 (Taipei, Japan) or 0.5-1 (Falck when he's in the zone or Källberg at times).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Togami made good progess and I would have preferred him over Niwa for sure. COVID made it hard for these young players because almost all world tour tournaments were cancelled last and this year.

I don't see how they can win against Korea, they have to rely on two Harimoto wins once again which isn't guaranteed as we could see today. If he wins two singles hoping for Mizutani is their best.

I don't see it either. That said, with the home crowd, it is always possible for someone to outperform. That said, Japan is going to lose the doubles again for sure and then if Harimoto manages to beat Jang Woojin(who I am fairly sure none of the other Japanese players can beat) and Jeoung Youngsik, it is up to Mizutani or Niwa to find another win against Lee Sang Su.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Yes, I was being unnecessarily harsh on him, he knows way more than I ever will about what team to use when. Also, do you mean Falck/Karlsson as opposed to Falck/Persson. Jon is a good doubles guy, but not at the Olympic level. Today's win for Germany over Japan and also Taipei really shows how much of a difference having 2 elite players vs 1-1.5 (Taipei, Japan) or 0.5-1 (Falck when he's in the zone or Källberg at times).

Yes, I mistyped - I definitely meant Falck/Karlsson and my brain read Falck/Karlsson so I was likely possessed while typing and may require an exorcism at some point...

Boll has often said that Germany could contend for medals after Dima came of age - before that, it was really tough when he had to carry the team by himself. So yes, it is night and day having two elite players vs one and even 3 like China vs 2 for most of the other top countries. What is now also important is having an elite doubles team (or even multiple elite doubles teams).

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Togami has shown he can play doubles with various teammates, driving FZD/XX to the brink in the SF of ATTC 2019. The thing with Uda right now is that he plays exactly like a South Korean player, placing too much reliance on form. He either upsets or gets upset, making him wildly unpredictable, but could be a great asset under the right conditions. OTOH, Togami has way more balance between FH and BH, making him much more consistent, that could be a great balancer for the team event between 2 extremes as Harimoto and Uda.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Pink Minnie takes down Han Ying. What a lifesaver for Hong Kong
Yeah. Reminded me in some ways of her win over Ding Ning.

Now the challenge for Hong Kong is that to win, Minnie Soo needs to beat Xiona Shah and before that Hoo Doi Kem needs to beat Petrissa (which I think is possible). Because Lee Ho Ching is hopeless vs chop and will lose to Han Ying in a decider.