Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Starting this thread to commemorate this day. The 32nd Olympics was slated to be held on the 24th of July.

https://youtu.be/ssc5eLjLoMQ?t=6477

364 days to go...

dJBBJOS.png

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Video after the jump.

https://tokyo2020.org/en/news/harim...s-if-i-can-compete-with-my-signature-backhand
HARIMOTO Tomokazu: No regrets if I can compete with my signature backhand
21 Jul 2020

“My opponents had gradually become used to my fast-paced style of play and worked out tactics to defeat me, but I didn’t change, which resulted in frequent losses,” he reflected.

He was suddenly confronted with not being able to win, which pushed him to the verge of losing self-confidence in his own playing style.

“I need more than my backhand to win,” he realised.

He started working on his forehand to transform his playing style, to avoid becoming over dependent on his backhand.

“I tried to work on my lower body, increase training of my footwork and legs, and focus on maintaining a good form to reduce errors,” he remarked.

Harimoto, who is already a ‘practice addict’, trained even harder to strengthen his forehands. As a result, the speed and strength of his forehand shots, which had been somewhat weaker than his backhands, began to improve.

“The year 2019 was tough for me because I couldn’t regain the momentum that I had enjoyed in 2018. I feel relieved to have been selected for the Olympic Games, because it has been my childhood dream,” Harimoto said, adding that his family also rejoiced and congratulated him.

When he thought about Tokyo 2020, he came up with a notion that had been at the back of his mind — to capitalise and fight with his signature backhand!

“Most of all, it was my backhand that carried me through to the Olympic Games. Whether I win or lose, I will have no regrets if I can fight with my backhand. I’d be satisfied if I could be on the offense by harnessing my fast backhand shots, like before,” he said.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Reactions: MaLin2.0
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

Takkyu is Tokyo local, sorta wana see what the general feel is from him and others his interacts within Tokyo, not what media reports, but not surprised if feeling matches.

The way things are right now, honestly cannot see right now how any city on the globe would want say 20,000 people from around globe entering causing increased spikes.

I know lot of mention of games happening on basis of vaccine being available however again who can look 12 months ahead and see if things are the same or worse of if vaccine is proven success.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+1] PROFIT SEEKER, Mr.DAINTON TO BURY the SPORT DEEPGRAVE.[/size]
Stive Dainton, the Ittf Ceo, he kills sport of table tennis. So ashamed dreamer of Dainton, the profit seeker producing destructive ideas.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
[size=+1] PROFIT SEEKER, Mr.DAINTON TO BURY the SPORT DEEPGRAVE.[/size]
Stive Dainton, the Ittf Ceo, he kills sport of table tennis. So ashamed dreamer of Dainton, the profit seeker producing destructive ideas.

What has Steve Dainton done or proposed?

Jan 2018
This, perhaps?

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/...erve-up-additional-private-equity-investment/
World Table Tennis, the new commercial arm of the International Table Tennis Federation, is continuing conversations with a view to selling further shares to private equity investors.

Private equity investment already secured from China has allowed WTT, which was launched as part of the Singapore-based ITTF’s restructure of its commercial operations from 2021 onwards, to establish itself and begin to roll out its plans.

WTT is now looking to continue negotiations around additional private equity investment, as senior commercial strategy consultant Philippe Le Floc’h, the former chief commercial officer at Fifa and marketing director at Uefa, told SportBusiness.

WTT director Matt Pound added: “If WTT thinks it needs more equity to supercharge anything in our business then we can go out and do that and find new partners. In all the contracts and deals we’ve been signing with all our partners, WTT is at the centre of all the decision making so we still have that power in our hands to really dictate the direction of where the company goes.”

Le Floc’h, the former chief commercial officer at Fifa and marketing director at Uefa continued: “We don’t have all the baggage of the old-style packages so we can start fresh and be agile, addressing the requests of the potential partners. The drawback is that this is a new product and people like to see it. We’ll try to have a test event in Macau in October/November to be able to show the world what it looks like.”

Offering up his first impressions of the ITTF project when he held initial talks with Pound and Steve Dainton (the ITTF chief executive and WTT director), the Malaysia-based Le Floc’h said: “I thought – if I had a blank sheet of paper for any federation, then you’re doing exactly the right thing – creating a bespoke entity which is fully autonomous from the governing body and housing all the commercial rights in it. And you’re opening the shareholding up to some equity [investment] which allows you not to have to request mothership money and you can finance your needs.”

“Credit to the ITTF to allow this to happen because there are not many sports governing bodies who would have the courage to let it happen.”

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

I think have to wait and see. From what been reading looks like they want the sport to grow and expamd through sponsorship more media rights ect. End of the day these people are business men and imo doing their duties.

Given current situation with coronavirus and limited funds coming in they do need secure sponsorships and other lifelines to keep things at least a drift. When we are clear with this pandemic, who knows when, I'm sure will be alot of businesses and sports that will be in a complete hole that will take a while to get back on feet. I'm sure ITTF & Dainton and others exploring options to have minimal impacts at the end of this and return to business as usual and still expand once this is over.

Its a new world right now and we need adapt to new way of thinking.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Jan 2018
Another blow to Tokyo Olympics.

It's reported Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, is set to announce his resignation over health concerns. Official press conference at 17:00 local time.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Jan 2018
Article has Japan taking aggressive push to get Olympics going.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...p-half-billion-doses-of-covid-19-vaccine.html

Appears power to be in Japan want this to go ahead. Whats rumours you heard?

Rumors have it that the reason behind Abe's resignation has to do with the "cancellation theory."

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/society/news/2020/08/29/kiji/20200829s00042000107000c.html
自民党関係者によると「8月に入り、首相が来年の五輪開催が極めて厳しくなったと聞いたとの噂がある」という。悲願の五輪開催が遠のき、闘病しながら残り任期を全うする気力がなくなったとの臆測が広がっている。
"There are rumors that the Prime Minister heard that the Olympic Games will be extremely difficult next year, starting in August," a LDP official said. With the long-awaited Olympics being held far away, there is widespread speculation that there was no energy to fulfill the remaining term while fighting the illness.

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
RUSSIA ON GUARD OF OLYMPIAN'S WELBEING.

-lg!01zm.jpg

Russia to supply the ENEZ LAB to Tokyo Olympics 2021. The testing system able to reveal virus presence inside sporting venue within a few seconds.