Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Hmmmm. As a TT coach not only must you know when to call a timeout but also when to have your player go for a bathroom break. Again, as in all matters related to TT, China showed its superiority in the battle of bathroom breaks.

I found it amusing that XX was faulted for a serve and Lebbesson continued with his clean serving technique without a word from the umpire.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hmmmm. As a TT coach not only must you know when to call a timeout but also when to have your player go for a bathroom break. Again, as in all matters related to TT, China showed its superiority in the battle of bathroom breaks.

I found it amusing that XX was faulted for a serve and Lebbesson continued with his clean serving technique without a word from the umpire.

At this point, I think some things have become so legendary in TT they are grandfathered into the sport regardless of whoever is umpiring -

1) the Ma Long toss behind the body,
2) the Lebesson dance into a serve with contact behind the head,
3) the Maharu Yoshimura contact behind the head,
4) Dima starting his serve motion from below the table and sometimes forgetting to pause before entering the serving motion.
5) the Par Gerrell punch from behind the body

and so on. Officiating these issues correctly would probably need the sport of TT to be completely revamped and make the ITTF owe inestimable reparations for all the years of bad umpiring.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017

At this point, I think some things have become so legendary in TT they are grandfathered into the sport regardless of whoever is umpiring -

1) the Ma Long toss behind the body,
2) the Lebesson dance into a serve with contact behind the head,
3) the Maharu Yoshimura contact behind the head,
4) Dima starting his serve motion from below the table and sometimes forgetting to pause before entering the serving motion.
5) the Par Gerrell punch from behind the body

and so on. Officiating these issues correctly would probably need the sport of TT to be completely revamped and make the ITTF owe inestimable reparations for all the years of bad umpiring.

Remediation of the behind the head contact is an easy one. Have the players play without their heads.

Many people are saying that FZD already does this when he plays against ML. He may also be doing this against other opponents as well but his brute force somehow is lucky enough to win him his matches.

vik

This user has no status.

vik

This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
FZD going to the toilets , thats gross. but with his coach at the same time ? is he holding FZD's dick while he's peeing ?

did FZD drink some RedBull ??

i hope the critics of Harimoto will shut up. FZD and Ma Long were definitely , or Chen Meng were definitely the louder players, and not only that, always staring at their opponent

They dont cho each ball like Harimoto does.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Yes, Harimoto made the whole sense of stakes with respect to choing feel meaningless. I get that it helped his match nervousness, but he would cho on *every* single point at the top of his lungs for a while. He has mellowed a bit as he as gotten older but I guess he has also desensitized a lot of people.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

So if Chen Meng or Ma Long does it, it's okay, but if Harimoto does it, it's not? I've watched a lot of Harimoto matches, and in every single one he's either choing to the side, turning away from his opponent when he choes, or looks at his coach when he's choing. Never once has he stared down his opponent. In Chen Meng's match with DHK, not only is she choing every point which is fine, but she's staring down her opponent as well. Adam made a comment that it's so animal like eye contact.

But if you're fine with the stare down, how about CM choing DHK's missed serve and Ma Lin clapping in the background with DHK up 2-1 in games down 3-5 in the fourth? For those streaming through nbcolympics.com, you can find it in recap matches 7/27 (which occurred on 7/28 Japan time), Table 1: Men's/Women's Singles Quarterfinals at the 2:48:00 mark. One of the rare times Adam makes no comment.

So what's the standard now? Oh it's the Olympics so table tennis etiquette gets thrown out the window?

I won't comment further on the subject as it's not an enjoyable conversation to have, but I needed to get it out.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Been busy following other Olympic events. So much catching up to do.

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-30/doc-ikqciyzk8607719.shtml
樊振东赛后表示,马龙控制住了今天的比赛节奏,而自己习惯的线路被摸透,无谓失误较多,不够积极。虽然一度也有逆转的机会,但没有把握住。樊振东说,马龙毫无疑问是这个时代的历史最佳。
Fan Zhendong said after the match that Ma Long controlled the pace of today's match, and his habitual path had been figured out, making unnecessary mistakes and not being positive enough. Although there was a chance of reversal at one time, he did not grasp it. Fan Zhendong said that Ma Long is undoubtedly the best in the history of this era.

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-31/doc-ikqciyzk8682328.shtml
  就在晋级决赛之前,马龙在半决赛里被来自德国的“老对手”奥恰洛夫逼入绝境。彼时,而就在一分差距决定输赢的那一刻,坐在场边耐不住性子的刘国梁朝着马龙喊了一句,

“马龙,他赢不了你,相信自己”。

随后,马龙完成了“致命一击”——就在那一刻,他也将所有的情绪释放出来,大声怒吼,“他赢不了我。”

“樊振东和马龙在半决赛都遇到了对手的猛烈冲击,那样的方式给他加油,也是希望给他们更坚定的信念和暗示。”刘国梁在赛后接受采访时,也谈到了自己的那句喊话,“这是在奥运赛场上非常重要的。”

“当时也听到了刘国梁主席的喊话,自己也不确定有没有用,但是后来赢了,所以还是有用的。今天能够跟樊振东抗衡的原因,也是自己在大赛当中赢过他,有了信心。自己主要还是赢在心态上,包括开局的坚决性做得非常好。”

“樊振东是现在这个世界上技战术最强的一名选手,不光是我这么认为,所有人都会这么认为。”

“当时赢了很多球,拿了很多冠军,属于水到渠成。而这个周期从2016年以后,输了很多球,也在尝试向年轻队员学习,包括自己的身体和心态,都已经不一样了。”

“我觉得自己还可以打,还可以再坚持,还可以再努力和年轻球员抗衡,这是自己往下打最需要的精神力量。”

“我应该算是乒乓球里最好运动员的之一吧,能够成为最好的之一,就是一种幸福。”
Just before qualifying for the final, Ma long was driven into a corner in the semifinal by the "old opponent" Ovtcharov from Germany. At that time, at the moment when the match was decided by the difference of one point, Liu Guoliang, who was sitting on the sideline and could not kept his composure, yelled at Ma Long:

"He can't beat you, Ma Long. Believe in yourself."

Then, Ma Long completed the "fatal blow" - at that moment, he also released all his emotions and yelled, "he can't beat me."

"Fan Zhendong and Ma Long both encountered fierce impact from their opponents in the semifinals. That form of encouragement is to give them a firmer conviction and hint." Liu Guoliang also talked about that line in a post-match interview, saying "this is very important in the Olympics."

"I also heard Chairman Liu Guoliang's yell at the time, and I was not sure if it helped, but I won afterwards, so it still helped. The reason why I was able to compete with Fan Zhendong today is that I have beaten him in the majors and I have gained confidence. I mainly won with my mindset, including the resolution of the opening, which I did very well."

"Fan Zhendong is the strongest player in the world in terms of skills and tactics. Not only I think so, everyone also think so."

"At that time[TL's note: Rio 2016 Olympic cycle], I won a lot of matches and championships. It was a matter of course. And in this cycle since 2016, I have lost a lot, and I am also trying to learn from young players, including my own body and mindset, which are different now."

"I think I can still play, I can persist, and I can work harder to compete with young players. This is the mental strength that I need most to keep playing down the road."

"I guess I could be regarded as one of the best players in table tennis. Being one of the best is a kind of happiness."

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-30/doc-ikqciyzk8606085.shtml
  赛后,在新闻发布会上,一名来自《瑞典日报》的外国记者提问时,向马龙转达了老瓦的祝福。

这名记者说:“我刚刚和瓦尔德内尔通了电话,他看了你的比赛,觉得你非常棒,你认为你能够超过瓦尔德内尔了么?”

马龙回答说:“首先能够得到瓦尔德内尔的祝福,我非常开心,谢谢他。他是传奇,我小时候就看他比赛,刘国梁主席、孔令辉教练也都看他的比赛。就是到了现在,刘国梁主席还说,老瓦把乒乓球打成了艺术。我除了学习他把乒乓打成艺术这一点外,还希望多学习一些他对于乒乓球的理解。”

《日刊体育》的日本记者接着问:这是第一次有人蝉联男子单打冠军,你还有继续第三次蝉联冠军的想法么?

马龙说:“我自己没有想太多,这个过程是非常漫长的,我自己来到这里也没想到太多,奥运会的前几轮我发挥不是很理想,决赛是我打得最理想的一场比赛。就是知道自己进入决赛,也知道我和冠军还有很远的距离,有些事情是要走一步看一步的。”
At the post-match press conference, a foreign reporter from the "Swedish Daily" conveyed Lao Wa's blessings to Ma Long.

The reporter said: "I just talked to Waldner on the phone. He watched your match and thought you were so good. Do you think you can surpass Waldner?"

Ma Long replied: "First of all, I am very happy to receive Waldner’s blessing. Thank him. He is a legend. I watched him play when I was a child. Chairman Liu Guoliang and Coach Kong Linghui also watched his matches. Now, Chairman Liu Guoliang has also said that Lao Wa has turned table tennis into an art. In addition to learning how he turned table tennis into an art, I also hope to learn more about his comprehension of table tennis."

The Japanese reporter from Nikkan Sports then asked: This is the first time anyone has defended the men's singles gold. Do you have any thoughts for a third time?

Ma Long said: "I haven't thought too much about it myself. This is a very long process. I didn't expect too much when I came here. I didn't play very well in the first few rounds of the Olympic Games. The final was my most ideal match. I just knew that I had entered the final and that I was still a long way from the title. Some things have to be taken one step at a time."

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-29/doc-ikqciyzk8359621.shtml
“今天很庆幸能赢下来,林昀儒的发挥太好了,他这几年的进步和成长非常快,是一个值得尊重的对手。”樊振东赛后表示,林昀儒整场比赛给自己的压力和压迫非常强,越是领先时越能感受到对手在无压力下的搏杀。

林昀儒赛后也谈到这一点,并表示樊振东压力比自己大很多,他要做的就是尽全力去拼。不过,林昀儒也表示,在关键球的处理上比樊振东差很多,而这恰恰是整体实力和经验的体现。当媒体让他评价一下樊振东时,林昀儒有些不好意思,小声说道:“我有资格去评价他吗?”
"I am very fortunate to have won today. Lin Yun-Ju played so well. He has improved and grown very fast in the past few years. He is a respectable opponent." Fan Zhendong said after the match that Lin Yun-Ju gave him intense pressure and repression the entire match. The more you lead, the more you can feel the opponent's fight under no pressure.

Lin Yun-Ju also talked about this after the match, saying that Fan Zhendong's pressure is much greater than his own, and all he has to do is to do his best to fight. However, Lin Yun-Ju also said that he is much worse than Fan Zhendong in the handling of key points, and this is precisely the embodiment of overall strength and experience. When the media asked him to comment on Fan Zhendong, Lin Yun-Ju was a little embarrassed and whispered, "am I qualified to comment on him?"

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-29/doc-ikqcfnca9746871.shtml
  复盘本场半决赛,马龙说:“两个人状态都特别好,虽然此前交手我赢了很多次,但每次都全力以赴。比赛跟自己想象的一样,2-0开场局面很好,不过三四局没把握机会,接发球有一些问题,给了对手空间。”

奥恰洛夫的下旋发球给马龙制造了不少麻烦,马龙说:“他下旋发球让我有点被动,从去年德国公开赛我接这种发球就有点难受,最主要还是没有受到前面影响。坚持信念,一分一分去打,一些球的处理上更精细一些。”

比赛中,马龙的一个发球被裁判判了,马龙解释说裁判判了我一个发球,说是高抛的时候带旋转了。不过最终对比赛的走势没有影响。

马龙和樊振东成功会师到决赛,展望明天的决赛,马龙说自己是下风球,会去享受比赛。
Reviewing the semi-final, Ma Long said: "Both of us are in very good form. Although I have won many times before, I gave my best every time. The match was just as I imagined. The 2-0 start was very good. But I did not seize the opportunity in games 3 and 4, and there were some problems in receiving, which gave the opponent space."

Ovtcharov's backspin serve created a lot of trouble for Ma Long. Ma Long said: "His backspin serve made me a little passive. I had been a bit uncomfortable receiving this kind of serve since the German Open last year. The main thing is that I was not affected by it. Keep the faith and play it one by one. The handling of some shots was more refined."

During the match, Ma Long's serve was faulted by the umpire. Ma Long explained that the umpire called his serve, saying that the high toss was imparted with spin. In the end, it had no effect on the flow of the match.

Ma Long and Fan Zhendong successfully rendezvoused in the final. Looking forward to tomorrow’s final, Ma Long said that it is going to be an uphill battle and will enjoy the match.

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-29/doc-ikqcfnca9757214.shtml
  马龙的这场比赛打得相当胶着,全部比分相加,最后他只领先了1分,最后一局也极为胶着,打到2分胜负。

马龙说:“比赛就是有时候打到最后一分看谁能顶得住,谁内心更坚定一点。真的打到第七局,很难说还有什么技战术可言。其实上一场樊振东和林昀儒也是打到最后一局,最后2分球。跟其他比赛确实有所不同,奥运会每个人的梦想,都是最后打好每一分。”

“在公开赛的时候,真的自己2比0领先,第三局第四局领先的时候,对手就放弃,心态上给他施加压力,他就崩溃了,但是这样的比赛没有人放弃,这就是奥运会。”

马龙说:“比赛发挥有好的有坏,重要的是赢下。今天的赛前我做好了困难的准备,尽管赢过奥恰很多次,但是直到这次,将会非常困难。他昨天也是够0比2落后,也是4比8,包括1比7落后能够咬回来,说明状态非常好。”

“第一局能够4比8落后赢下来,第二局其实打得也挺顺利,我觉得自己2比0领先后也是把握了主动。但是在3、4局进入领先的时候,还是有一些侥幸。有一些想赶紧赢,特别是接发球轮上处理的不好,给了对手喘息的机会。”

“奥恰洛夫是所有外国选手中,对于比赛胜利渴望最强的运动员,无论他落后多少,包括他有多被动,他都是想着办法一分一分去咬,包括每一次比赛,尽管赢过他很多次,他都会有新的技战术,想要战胜你,都想战胜你。他2012年到16年,大赛他的经验发挥稳定,这也是他这么多年成为中国主要对手之一,有很强的技术能力和技术品质。”

马龙说:“在2020年德国公开赛的时候,就接他这个发球接的不是很好。尽管赢下来,2比0大比分领先,后面三四局也都领先,结果没赢下来,最后4比2拿下来,那次接到这个发球就会不舒服。在未来的比赛,面对这个发球肯定要注意和加强。”

马龙说:“樊振东肯定是现在世界上最强的选手。跟他打我没有任何压力,只能全力拼,发挥最好的技战术水平,去享受比赛了。”

最后,德国记者请现场的工作人员帮助问了一个问题,为什么中国乒乓会这么强?

马龙说:“中国不是现在强,上世纪50、60年代就一直强,有很好的传统,一代一代传下来,积累了很多很好的经验,这个非常重要,我们更多是一个团队。”
This was a deadlock match for Ma Long. Adding up all the points, he only led by 1 point in the end, and the final game was also extremely stalemate, coming down to a 2-point difference.

Ma Long said: "The match is sometimes down to the last point to see who can withstand it and who is more determined. It is hard to say what skills and tactics are really available in game 7. In fact, Fan Zhendong and Lin Yun-Ju also played to the last game, and the last 2 points. Unlike other tournaments, the Olympics is everyone’s dream, to play every point well until the very end."

"In the Opens, if I have a 2-0 start, and lead in games 3 and 4, then the opponent will give up. Put pressure on him psychologically and he will collapse, but no one gives up in such a tournament- this is the Olympics."

Ma Long said: "Performance can be good and bad. The important thing is to win. I was prepared for difficulties before today's match. Although I had beaten Ovtcharov many times, it was going to be very difficult until this time. He was 0-2 behind in games yesterday, and also 4:8, including 1:7 and was able to "bite" his way back, indicating that his form is very good."

"Taking game 1 after being 4:8 down, I actually played rather well in game 2. I think I took the initiative after leading 2-0. But when I got into the lead in games 3 and 4, I pushed my luck. I wanted to win quickly, especially when the receiving round was not handled well, giving the opponent breathing room."

"Ovtcharov is the athlete who has the strongest desire for victory among all foreign players. No matter how much he is behind, including how passive he is, he always thinks of ways to "bite" every point, including every match, even though after beating him so many times, he will have new skills and tactics. If he wants to defeat you, he will try to defeat you. From 2012 to 2016, his experienced play in the majors was stable. This is why he has become one of China's main opponents for so many years. He has strong technical ability and technical quality."

Ma Long said: "In German Open 2020, I was not very good at receiving this serve. Although I won, I was 2-0 in lead. I was also leading in games 3 and 4, yet I dropped them, winning 4-2 in the end. I was uncomfortable receiving this serve. In future encounters, I will pay attention and strengthen when facing this serve."

Ma Long said: "Fan Zhendong is definitely the strongest player in the world right now. I don't have any pressure to play against him, I can only fight with all my strength, play to the best technical and tactical level, and enjoy the match."

Finally, the German reporter asked the staff on the scene to help ask a question, why is Chinese table tennis so strong?

Ma Long said: "China is not strong just now. It has been strong since the 1950s and 1960s. It has a good tradition. It has been passed down from generation to generation and accumulated a lot of good experience. This is very important. We are more of a team."

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-29/doc-ikqcfnca9737093.shtml
  赛后樊振东认为:“今天比赛打到7,庆幸自己最终能赢下来。”

樊振东说:“对手今天发挥得非常好,对我整体的压力和压迫,非常强,林呁儒几年成长也很快,有这样的舞台让我们两个人去展示自己,有这么精彩的对决,我觉得确实是值得尊重的对手。对于我来说今天确实也犯了一些错误,感觉自己发挥得还不错,打到第七局还是比较坚定,跟对手去拼,去咬。”

“有时候客观来说,我领先的时候,他反而会更加释放、更加没有压力的去执行他的技战术,我也犯了一些错误,特别是那两局领先,今天很多球都打到9平、10平。我自己没有软,一直在想办法,包括第七局开局落后,也是一直在想办法,我觉得今天真正做到了拼了7局。”

对于一开始不是很顺,樊振东说:“上来有点试探,担心对手变化,但7局过程里已经非常明白如何制约对方。第七局就是把自己想要做的去做出来,虽然也怕失误,但是很坚决地去做了。

来自宝岛台湾的记者问:你在第六局被追输,要打决胜局的时候,你是什么心情?

樊振东说:“心情肯定是非常紧张和焦灼,最后能够去顶住,能逆转,首先是肯定自己的,对于自己来说,那个节点非常难受,包括第七局开局落后。”

那么第七局有没有改变打法呢?

樊振东说:“其实没有,已经打了6局大家都非常了解,看谁能更坚决的出手,坚定的相信自己,自己做的还不错。”

在今天的比赛中打了很多相持球,林呁儒的成功率更高一些,对此樊振东说:“因为他的打法特点就是这种,前三板很有威胁,对于相持来说他今天发挥非常好,衔接质量都达到了很高水平。”

在赛后的混合采访区,林呁儒的教练蒋澎龙谈到了最后的几个发球,林呁儒被樊振东抓了正手追身,先发力,或者改直线的战术。

这个战术是樊振东自己调整的还是教练秦志戬说了。

樊振东说:“打到关键时刻,教练说了也不一定敢执行,我当时就按照自己内心想的去做,能够坚定地按照自己的想法打,现在想来是值得肯定的。”
Fan Zhendong thought after the match: "Today's match reached [game] 7 and I am thankful that I could win in the end."

Fan Zhendong said: "The opponent played very well today. The pressure and repression on me as a whole are very strong. Lin Yun-Ju has also grown rapidly in the past few years. Having such a stage for the two of us to express ourselves, and such a wonderful contest, I feel that he is indeed a respectable opponent. For me, I did make some mistakes today. I feel that I played well, and I was relatively resolute in game 7, to fight with my opponent, to "bite"."

"Sometimes objectively speaking, when I was in the lead, he would be more released and had less pressure to execute his skills and tactics. I also made some mistakes, especially when leading those 2 games. Today, many points were 9:9 and 10:10. I didn't get soft, and I kept thinking of a way out, including game 7, in which I lagged behind. I kept thinking of a way out. I think I really did it "fighting 7 games" today."

On the bumpy start, Fan Zhendong said, “I was a bit tentative at the beginning and worried about the opponent’s variations, but in the course of 7 games, I already understood very well how to restrict the opponent. In game 7, it was to do what I wanted to do. Even though I was afraid of making mistakes, I did it resolutely.

A reporter from Taiwan asked: You were chased and lost in game 6. How was your mood when you were about to play the decider?

Fan Zhendong said: "The mood must be very nervous and anxious. In the end, being able to withstand it and be able to reverse, first of all, I acknowedge myself. For me, that node was very uncomfortable, including the poor start of game 7."

So did you chance your game in game 7?

Fan Zhendong said: "In fact, no, we have played 6 games and know it very well. It came down to who could take the shot with more resolute, firmly believe in yourself, and I did rather well."

There were many rallies in the match today and Lin Yun-Ju had a higher percentage. On this, Fan Zhendong said: "Because his style of play is exactly like this. The 3rd balls are very threatening. For the rallies, he played very well today. The quality of the linking reached a very high level."

In the mixed zone after the match, Lin Yin-Ju’s coach Chiang Peng-Lung talked about the last few serves. Fan Zhendong caught him by jamming to his forehand, putting in a strong shot first, or the tactics of changing to parallel.

Fan Zhendong adjusted this tactic himself or was it coach Qin Zhijian who told him.

Fan Zhendong said: "At the crucial moments, I might not dare to execute it even if he told me. I acted according to my own inner thoughts at the time, and I was able to play firmly according to my own ideas. Now that I think about it it is worthy of recognition."

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-29/doc-ikqciyzk8265234.shtml
  27日,波尔在东京奥运会男单第四轮比赛中,1-4不敌韩国选手郑荣植,六战奥运会依然无缘男单奖牌。

40岁的波尔赛后表示,这是来自奥林匹克的梦想,但这绝不是命中注定,只是因为郑荣植的表现更好。

波尔说单打出局绝不是世界末日,现在会专注于团体比赛,希望我们再次一起前进。
On the 27th, Boll lost to South Korea’s Jeoung Youngsik 1-4 in the 4th round of men’s singles at the Tokyo Olympics, still medal-less in the men's singles after 6 Olympics games.

40-year-old Boll said after the match that this is the Olympic dream, but this is by no means destiny, just because Jeoung Youngsik performed better.

Boll said that dropping out in the men's singles is by no means the end of the world. Now he will focus on the team event, hoping they will move forward together again.

https://2020.sina.com.cn/2021-07-29/doc-ikqcfnca9638767.shtml
本来,被分在上半区的还有东道主日本队头号男单张本智和。赛前,外界预测樊振东在半决赛的对手将是他。结果,张本智和在此前的1/8决赛意外不敌斯洛文尼亚黑马选手约奇克。

樊振东透露,由于自己昨晚是和张本智和在同一时间比赛,因此,他没有过多关注他的意外出局。他认为,到了奥运会的赛场上,大家都非常拼,都是全力以赴的,谁赢都有可能,他出局不见得完全属于爆冷。而且,他认为上半区还有不少高手,大家的胜负都在伯仲之间。
Originally, drawn into the top half was also the host, Team Japan men's singles no. 1 Tomokazu Harimoto. Before the match, the outside world predicted that Fan Zhendong's opponent in the semifinal would be him. In the end, Harimoto unexpectedly lost to Slovenia's dark horse Jorgic in the just concluded quarterfinal.

Fan Zhendong revealed that since he was playing at the same time as Harimoto last night, he did not pay much attention to his unexpected exit. He believes that in the Olympics, everyone fights very hard and goes all out. Anyone can win, and his exit is not completely an upset. Moreover, he believes that there are still a lot of masters in the upper half, and everyone is neck and neck.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Not sure if Japans mens want to lose to Sweden
They could be 2-0 up, why play Harimoto doubles and have Mizutani play singles twice.... They can still possibly win but think when comes to final 8 need have structures already set for team events

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not sure if Japans mens want to lose to Sweden
They could be 2-0 up, why play Harimoto doubles and have Mizutani play singles twice.... They can still possibly win but think when comes to final 8 need have structures already set for team events

The two lefties combo was an automatic L vs Sweden. This gives them far better chances. Even if Mizutsni loses to Falck, he won't lose to any other player using inverted. As long as Harimoto delivers 2 the job is done

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Jeon Jihee suffers the same fate as 2016. Win both matches and lose the overall team match at the quarterfinals.

I think South Korean girls on right track, new look team similar to Chinese ladies, out with some of the more senior players and I with fresh newer talent. 3 years they will be back in medal contention

Reactions: pongfugrasshopper
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Interesting that S Korea put the weakest player at the top player position to play 2 singles matches. I guess the team wanted to secure the doubles, which they did, but JJH is a very strong player in singles and that would most likely be 2 wins vs. 1. Shin Yubin is a gem and some day will be S Korea's top player. She will be great in Paris.