Back to Forum
Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 1132
  1. MaLin2.0 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 290 434
    M
    MaLin2.0 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 434 290

    User Info Menu


    Dec 2019
    Australia
    434
    290
    1100
    Read 0 Reviews
    #381
    Congratulations TEAM JAPAN, well played....
    TEAM CHINA your efforts highly appreciated, let this loss motivate you for the TEAM EVENT....

    ​​​​

    The Following User Likes MaLin2.0's Post:

    jammmail


  2. Atas Newton is offline
    says CHOLE!
     
    Senior TTD Member 1,158 944
    Atas Newton's Avatar
    Atas Newton is offline
    says CHOLE!
     
    Senior TTD Member 944 1,158
    #382
    I don't care if you're Ma Lin or Liu Guoliang himself, this is why you don't take the TO in the second. Never made sense to me this tactic
    the commentator lists Grand Slam winners, calls JOW John Oev Wellner, LGL Louis Goodland (not kidding)

  3. pongfugrasshopper is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 368 273
    pongfugrasshopper's Avatar
    pongfugrasshopper is online now
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 273 368

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2019
    United States
    273
    368
    840
    Read 0 Reviews
    #383
    Down 2-9, then down 6-10 in the 7th against Germany, Japan pulls off a miracle. Down 0-2 in games against China, who have been steamrolling through opponents, pulls even and then back and forth to 3 games each. Mima and Jun play perfectly and 8-0 and withstand a China comeback to win it 11-6. These two have the heart of a champion. So proud of them showing the world nothing's impossible. ❤

    The Following 4 Users Like pongfugrasshopper's Post:

    driversbeat, NextLevel and 2 others


  4. Takkyu_wa_inochi is offline
    says Disciple of OYA sensei
     
    Master TTD Member 3,602 3,275
    T
    Takkyu_wa_inochi is offline
    says Disciple of OYA sensei
     
    Master TTD Member 3,275 3,602
    #384
    yes i agree, i am most impressed by Mizutani. He almost wanted to stop TT after Rio, he lost to Harimoto his national title

    he had his eye problem, but he overcame that, for Team Japan, for Mima whom he's known since she was a very little kid.
    he even became a national champion again for the 10th time, and decided to withdraw from later competitions.

    he said it would be his last international outing (no more ITTF opens as well). and you can see how he played with all his heart, and courage, and no fear, against his arch nemesis, XU Xin, from whom he's been humiliated so many times, but he first got a little revenge in Rio, but this one is so sweet....

    The Following 5 Users Like Takkyu_wa_inochi's Post:

    anchorschmidt, jammmail and 3 others


  5. TTLOVE is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 159 343
    TTLOVE's Avatar
    TTLOVE is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 343 159
    #385
    Quote Originally Posted by Atas Newton
    I don't care if you're Ma Lin or Liu Guoliang himself, this is why you don't take the TO in the second. Never made sense to me this tactic



    Yes that was a tactic mistake by Ma Lin too early Time Out


  6. anchorschmidt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 696 651
    A
    anchorschmidt is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 651 696

    User Info Menu

    #386
    I don't think the Time Out call was that bad. Zhang Jike took timeout in the first set in 2012.

    However.....Did I miss something or when did it become common to celebrate nets and edges?

    The Following User Likes anchorschmidt's Post:

    TTLOVE


  7. TTLOVE is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 159 343
    TTLOVE's Avatar
    TTLOVE is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 343 159
    #387
    Quote Originally Posted by anchorschmidt
    I don't think the Time Out call was that bad. Zhang Jike took timeout in the first set in 2012.

    However.....Did I miss something or when did it become common to celebrate nets and edges?

    I think that is only an "Olympic thing". That match was so important for both of them, that was the final. They couldn't compose themself.
    This show you how vital was to win point after point no matter what

    The Following 3 Users Like TTLOVE's Post:

    anchorschmidt, driversbeat and 1 other


  8. Janard is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 1,420 940
    J
    Janard is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 940 1,420

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2018
    Singapore
    940
    1,420
    3939
    Read 0 Reviews
    #388
    Wow, heartbroken for LSW but congratulations to Japan. Mizutani actually performed very well today IMO – he managed to put away many shots.

    The Following 3 Users Like Janard's Post:

    driversbeat, Takkyu_wa_inochi and 1 other


  9. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,494 9,161
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,161 13,494

    User Info Menu

    #389
    Quote Originally Posted by anchorschmidt
    I don't think the Time Out call was that bad. Zhang Jike took timeout in the first set in 2012.

    However.....Did I miss something or when did it become common to celebrate nets and edges?

    You celebrate the points you win. You can apologize for the nets and edges as well after.

    The Following 3 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

    driversbeat, Takkyu_wa_inochi and 1 other

    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  10. jammmail is offline
    says Spin to win
     
    Established TTD Member 71 171
    jammmail's Avatar
    jammmail is offline
    says Spin to win
     
    Established TTD Member 171 71
    #390
    Amazing – will this fire China up or the first of more upsets?

  11. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,494 9,161
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,161 13,494

    User Info Menu

    #391
    This is the biggest win of Mizutani's career and will probably be the thing he is most remembered for in a stellar career. Feels crazy saying that but that shows you how big it is.

    The Following 5 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

    anchorschmidt, jammmail and 3 others

    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  12. zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 7,885 5,680
    zeio's Avatar
    zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 5,680 7,885

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2018
    PNG
    5,680
    7,885
    21309
    Read 0 Reviews
    #392
    Once-in-a-life-time images.
    https://imgur.com/a/23ZLSj2

    In case people didn't know, Japan has the shortest national anthem in the world.

    The Following 2 Users Like zeio's Post:

    driversbeat and Vlad Celler

    Race for Tokyo 2020+1 - Women's Top 11, Japan
    Time capsules - 2020, 2024, 2028

  13. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,494 9,161
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,161 13,494

    User Info Menu

    #393
    Quote Originally Posted by jammmail
    Amazing – will this fire China up or the first of more upsets?

    This is the only event that they had a risk of losing gold in (because of the gap in skill vs the #2 team and they have only one entry). The others are far less risky. Even upsets won't cost them gold in the others.

    The Following 2 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

    balazs1234 and jammmail

    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  14. MaLin2.0 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 290 434
    M
    MaLin2.0 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 434 290

    User Info Menu


    Dec 2019
    Australia
    434
    290
    1100
    Read 0 Reviews
    #394
    Quote Originally Posted by Janard
    Wow, heartbroken for LSW but congratulations to Japan. Mizutani actually performed very well today IMO – he managed to put away many shots.

    As a LSW fan that you are, what do you think short term future is for her?

    I look at positives as they did go 7 games, effort there no doubt, disappointing but China being the team they are demand more, I get it....

    Medal ceremony they looked dejected which I understand

    The Following User Likes MaLin2.0's Post:

    Vlad Celler


  15. jammmail is offline
    says Spin to win
     
    Established TTD Member 71 171
    jammmail's Avatar
    jammmail is offline
    says Spin to win
     
    Established TTD Member 171 71
    #395
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel

    This is the only event that they had a risk of losing gold in (because of the gap in skill vs the #2 team and they have only one entry). The others are far less risky. Even upsets won't cost them gold in the others.

    While I totally agree – it does show they aren't invincible

    The Following 2 Users Like jammmail's Post:

    anchorschmidt and NextLevel


  16. Takkyu_wa_inochi is offline
    says Disciple of OYA sensei
     
    Master TTD Member 3,602 3,275
    T
    Takkyu_wa_inochi is offline
    says Disciple of OYA sensei
     
    Master TTD Member 3,275 3,602
    #396
    China is the clear favourite for all other 4 gold medals, but who knows ? today showed that they are humans. When Japan leveled at 2-2 afterwards, i think we saw XX miss shots he put 100% on the table till then, because of the growing pressure.

    the Chinese players are the more skilled players, and the favourite to win, but in all the events, i think an upset is possible. It will be difficult for Mima to beat both SYS and CM, i actually think there is more chance in the Men's. ML definitely doesn't seem as dominant as he used to be. FZD looks invincible but you never know. If his opponent has the form of his life, and a little bit of luck, and then FZD gets nervous...

    in team, an upset looks even less likely, but you never know. because doubles can often be a lottery and then LSW or ML are already past their peak. so...

    The Following 4 Users Like Takkyu_wa_inochi's Post:

    jammmail, pongfugrasshopper and 2 others


  17. jammmail is offline
    says Spin to win
     
    Established TTD Member 71 171
    jammmail's Avatar
    jammmail is offline
    says Spin to win
     
    Established TTD Member 171 71
    #397
    Quote Originally Posted by Takkyu_wa_inochi
    China is the clear favourite for all other 4 gold medals, but who knows ? today showed that they are humans. When Japan leveled at 2-2 afterwards, i think we saw XX miss shots he put 100% on the table till then, because of the growing pressure.

    the Chinese players are the more skilled players, and the favourite to win, but in all the events, i think an upset is possible. It will be difficult for Mima to beat both SYS and CM, i actually think there is more chance in the Men's. ML definitely doesn't seem as dominant as he used to be. FZD looks invincible but you never know. If his opponent has the form of his life, and a little bit of luck, and then FZD gets nervous...

    in team, an upset looks even less likely, but you never know. because doubles can often be a lottery and then LSW or ML are already past their peak. so...

    Exactly that – a seed of doubt is placed. Makes it a bit more exciting!


  18. Janard is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 1,420 940
    J
    Janard is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 940 1,420

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2018
    Singapore
    940
    1,420
    3939
    Read 0 Reviews
    #398
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLin2.0

    As a LSW fan that you are, what do you think short term future is for her?

    I look at positives as they did go 7 games, effort there no doubt, disappointing but China being the team they are demand more, I get it....

    Medal ceremony they looked dejected which I understand

    Defo her last international tournament, so I would have thought a gold for XD would be the best consolation (I would have supported Ito for WS Gold wholeheartedly). Wells, another blemish on LSW's career then – Moscow 2010 and Tokyo 2020 😫

    The Following 4 Users Like Janard's Post:

    balazs1234, driversbeat and 2 others


  19. driversbeat is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 429 433
    driversbeat's Avatar
    driversbeat is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 433 429
    #399
    Quote Originally Posted by Janard

    Defo her last international tournament, so I would have thought a gold for XD would be the best consolation (I would have supported Ito for WS Gold wholeheartedly). Wells, another blemish on LSW's career then – Moscow 2010 and Tokyo 2020 😫

    It's not all bad. There are players from China who never get to play Olympics, or play but don't win Gold. There's no need to have a perfect record to be successful, and none of the previous champions had to face a threat like Ito.

    The Following 3 Users Like driversbeat's Post:

    Janard, Takkyu_wa_inochi and 1 other


  20. zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 7,885 5,680
    zeio's Avatar
    zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 5,680 7,885

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2018
    PNG
    5,680
    7,885
    21309
    Read 0 Reviews
    #400
    LGL said "all 5 golds are not safe" and that the "XD event at Tokyo 2020 will be the most dangerous" in an interview before WTTC 2019.
    https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/for...l=1#post299401

    At the end of May 2021, LGL said China's goal of "保三拼四争五"(keep the 3, compete for 4, fight for 5) remained unchanged.
    https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pi...c8611932.shtml

    The Following 5 Users Like zeio's Post:

    jammmail, JesperStef and 3 others

    Race for Tokyo 2020+1 - Women's Top 11, Japan
    Time capsules - 2020, 2024, 2028

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.