Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The players who showed up deserved their spots no doubt. Hugo continues to be a head scratcher, beating Jang Woojin but can't finish games vs Dima.

At least we know Harimoto's problem (he doesn't have the footwork and forehand mentality to seize the point). What is Hugo's excuse? Poor mental game? Excessive reliance on athleticism? Just Dima? Head scratcher for real...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Interesting how Harimoto (replaced by LYJ) and Calderano (replaced by DO) couldn't defend their seedings.

Predictions:

1. FZD
2. ML
3. LYJ
4. DO

Crazy Desires:
1. ML
2. LYJ
3. FZD
4. DO

German Desires(might make FZD suicidal by the way):
1. DO
2. FZD
3. LYJ
4. ML

History Making Desires (might make FZD suicidal by the way):
1. LYJ
2. ML
3. FZD
4. DO

Let the people play!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yu Mengyu took out all the higher seeds in her bracket. Amazing stuff.

Predictions:

1. CM
2. SYS
3. MI
4. YMY

Desires:
1. MI
2. YMY
3. SYS
4. CM

Singaporean Desires(might make CM suicidal by the way):
1. YMY
2. SYS
3. MI
4. CM

History Making Desires (might make CM suicidal and MI really crappy by the way):
1. YMY
2. MI
3. SYS
4. CM

Let the people play!

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Interesting how Harimoto (replaced by LYJ) and Calderano (replaced by DO) couldn't defend their seedings.Predictions:1. FZD2. ML3. LYJ4. DOCrazy Desires:1. ML2. LYJ3. FZD4. DOGerman Desires(might make FZD suicidal by the way):1. DO2. FZD3. LYJ4. MLHistory Making Desires (might make FZD suicidal by the way):1. LYJ2. ML3. FZD4. DOLet the people play!

As a German I have to disagree:
I wish for:
1. ML
2. FZD
3. DO
4. LYJ

But I predict:
1. FZD
2. ML
3. DO
4. LYJ

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Yu Mengyu took out all the higher seeds in her bracket. Amazing stuff.

Predictions:

1. CM
2. SYS
3. MI
4. YMY

Desires:
1. MI
2. YMY
3. SYS
4. CM

Singaporean Desires(might make CM suicidal by the way):
1. YMY
2. SYS
3. MI
4. CM

History Making Desires (might make CM suicidal and MI really crappy by the way):
1. YMY
2. MI
3. SYS
4. CM

Let the people play!

I fully agree with YMY's assessment .... And with these two positions ...
Predictions:

1. CM
2. SYS
3. MI
4. YMY

Desires:
1. MI
2. YMY
3. SYS
4. CM

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017

No idea but it is annoying for anyone that knows anything about table tennis. It sounds like it's the first time he's watched it. Describing Calderano's serve as the 'high ball wiggle the bat serve'...really not adding anything.

ITTF English commentary job interview:
Interviewer: We are looking for an English speaking commentator for the Tokyo Olympics and would like a better understanding about your background.
Candidate: Thank you for giving me the opportunity to meet with you.
Interviewer: Have you played table tennis at any level?
Candidate: No.
Interviewer: Not even recreationally with your friends?
Interviewer: Have you ever seen or watched table tennis being played at any level?
Interviewer: So how do you think you are qualified for this position?
Candidate: While I may not have any experience with the sport, I have done extensive research on it. For example, I know the sport was invented by the Greeks and was part of the original Olympic games. The very first Olympic Gold medal was won by Zeus in a close match against Poseidon about 20,000 years ago. The first 3 Para-Olympic gold medals were won by Hephaestus.
The game remained relatively unchanged until 1925 when someone found that using a cleaning sponge on a bat will enhance defensive play. While this meant dirtier houses for the players, they quickly adapted to playing with sponge. Then shortly after World War II, quite accidently, someone discovered that using bicycle tire glue on the sponge will make the ball stick better. Alas, there was an unforeseen side effect by using this glue. The ball sticking to the sponge was causing a lot of mental anguish to players. So, in 1984 the ITTF had no choice but step in and ban this glue, restoring everyone's health. The game has continued relatively unchanged since.
Of course, the game wasn't played in Europe during the bubonic plague and European players have struggled since then to catch up to the Asian (mostly Vietnamese) players since then.
Interviewer: You have done a lot of research. Since this position is to provide English commentary, how do you spell table tennis?
Candidate: T-A-B-L D-E-N-I-S.
Interviewer: Great job, you are hired! When can you start?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Somehow I think if stupid JTTA pick Mizutani over Niwa they could fight for bronze medal. At least they could choose Uda Yukia to let him gain more experience.
Of course I do not have anything against Koki the same is with Kasumi. They can both play untill death if they wish, it is up to Association if they let represent their country by these players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

TV Tokyo YouTube community poll
Apparently 80% of the (supposedly majority Japanese) audience want/think Mima will win gold medal

Chen Meng 12%
Sun Yingsha 6%
Yu Mengyu 1%

Between the mixed doubles gold and conflicting wishes I think its too tough to say who will win
Definitely don't want an all-China final though

This user has no status.

I think Ma Long and Liu Shiwen will both retire in the near future if not immediately after Olympic. Xu Xin will also retire soon when Chinese team has another young player strong enough to stay with FZD. Zhang Jike, who hasn't announced publicly but hasn't participated in any competition and team training for a long time, will finally announce it soon.

This Olympic is the end show of the generation. This is a sad time.

But it is also a good time for any other team trying to challenge China in the future.

Last edited: