Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I rate Japan higher than Chinese Taipei & Chinese Taipei with better fortune could have pulled it off. Lin Yun-ju has 2 weak team mates, both performed bad in singles, granted against Boll & Ovtcharov

Japan mens might have a chance if can win doubles and find few wins in singles

I can't see how Japan wins the match barring an injury from Germany. Germany have the more experienced and solid doubles team and I can't see how Niwa will get to play Franziska.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

I never said that. Boll Ovtcharov elite players, Franziska solid third.

I rate Niwa and Mizutani higher than Chuang Chih-yuan and Chen Chen-an that's why 3 wins is possible for team Japan. Those 2 were hopeless today while Koki had good day today

That was meant as a joke.

Their lineups for R16 and QF thus far. Japan has always been the ABC team and Germany the XYZ team. Germany's doubles pairing will not change either way. Like NextLevel mentioned, Kurashima will have to decide whether to give up on the doubles. After seeing what happened to Chinese Taipei, I guess he will probably try taking the doubles.

R16
JPN vs AUS(XYZ)
Niwa/Mizutani - Hu/Yan
Harimoto - Powell
Mizutani - Yan
Harimoto - Hu
Niwa - Powell

QF
JPN vs SWE(XYZ)
Niwa/Harimoto - Karlsson/Kallberg
Mizutani - Falck
Harimoto - Kallberg
Niwa - Falck
Mizutani - Karlsson

R16
POR vs GER(XYZ)
Monteiro/Apolonia - Franziska/Boll
Freitas - DO
Apolonia - Boll
Freitas - Franziska
Monteiro - DO

QF
TPE vs GER(XYZ)
CCY/CCA - Franziska/Boll
LYJ - DO
CCA - Boll
LYJ - Franziska
CCY - DO

SF
JPN(ABC) vs GER
Niwa/Harimoto
Mizutani
Harimoto or Niwa
Mizutani
Niwa or Harimoto
JPN(ABC) vs GER
Niwa/Mizutani
Harimoto
Mizutani or Niwa
Harimoto
Niwa or Mizutani
GER vs JPN(XYZ)
Niwa/Harimoto
Mizutani
Harimoto or Niwa
Niwa or Harimoto
Mizutani
GER vs JPN(XYZ)
Niwa/Mizutani
Harimoto
Mizutani or Niwa
Niwa or Mizutani
Harimoto
[tbody] [/tbody]

GER(ABC) vs JPN
Franziska/Boll
DO
Boll or Franziska
DO
Franziska or Boll
JPN vs GER(XYZ)
Franziska/Boll
DO
Boll or Franziska
Franziska or Boll
DO
[tbody] [/tbody]

Reactions: NextLevel

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
No matter which doubles lineup for Japan, the pairing of Boll/Franziska is better to me and if they are losing the doubles with Harimoto they are definitely screwed. On the other sides 2 singles wins are not guaranteed from Harimoto. In comparison with Kallberg he struggled more than Lin Yun-ju against Kallberg. Harimoto is not as strong as Lin Yun-ju in Tokyo. Germany has to be the favourite, will be really difficult for Japan.

This user has no status.
A little bit late, but last night's loss marks the end of this Olympics for Persson's men. Not touching the men's singles more since it was bad (I expected at least top 16 for Falck with his draw). All in all a very bad Olympics from almost every player except Kristian Karlsson who looked really sharp the 3 matches he was allowed to play. Doubles I expected us to field Karlsson/Falck and let Källberg have two singles vs Japan, but I guess Persson wanted Falck at nr 1?????? Falck seemed mentally weak despite us being told he was great in practice throughout the whole event. He had a good win vs Mizutani, but he shouldn't collapse after 1 set vs Niwa, Niwa played well though and has a winning record vs Falck. Källberg could have done more, but Harimoto is never an easy win so I can't fault him either like vs Lin Yun Ju.

It's difficult to speak for the next Olympics now, but next time I want Jon Persson out of the team for good (point of him being a reserve when Möregårdh could have benefited from it???).I want Möregårdh in singles with Källberg and whomever is best of Karlsson or Falck for teams. No real talent coming up the next 4 years (they're looking really bad from the EYC) so I guess this crop will have plenty of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
A little bit late, but last night's loss marks the end of this Olympics for Persson's men. Not touching the men's singles more since it was bad (I expected at least top 16 for Falck with his draw). All in all a very bad Olympics from almost every player except Kristian Karlsson who looked really sharp the 3 matches he was allowed to play. Doubles I expected us to field Karlsson/Falck and let Källberg have two singles vs Japan, but I guess Persson wanted Falck at nr 1?????? Falck seemed mentally weak despite us being told he was great in practice throughout the whole event. He had a good win vs Mizutani, but he shouldn't collapse after 1 set vs Niwa, Niwa played well though and has a winning record vs Falck. Källberg could have done more, but Harimoto is never an easy win so I can't fault him either like vs Lin Yun Ju.

It's difficult to speak for the next Olympics now, but next time I want Jon Persson out of the team for good (point of him being a reserve when Möregårdh could have benefited from it???).I want Möregårdh in singles with Källberg and whomever is best of Karlsson or Falck for teams. No real talent coming up the next 4 years (they're looking really bad from the EYC) so I guess this crop will have plenty of time.

I really struggle to understand why you wouldn't re-use such an experienced doubles team as Falck/Persson especially in a match where you need your best singles player (Kallberg) to feature often. That said, Persson is a great TT mind and coach, he probably saw stuff in practice that didn't translate to the matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Boll/Franziska winning doubles? That's new.
LYJ 7:2 DO, 7:7, 9:7, 9:9, 10:9, 10:12
9:10, 11:10, 11:11, 12:11, 12:12, 14:12
8:6, 8:7, 11:7
3:0, 3:4, 4:4, 5:4, 5:5, 7:5, 7:8, 8:8, 8:9, 9:9, 9:10, 10:10, 11:10, 11:12, 12:12, 12:14
LYJ handled G4 poorly, especially on his own serves. Wanted to end the point quickly when he had the lead 2 times. Ended up wasting them.
1:0, 1:1, 2:1, 2:3, 3:3, 3:4, 4:4, 4:6, 7:6, 7:7, 11:7
LYJ kept his composure in the middlegame of G5.

LYJ: Tokyo 2020 MS bronze medalist, huh? Can't keep up with my speed AT ALL.

LYJ’s been developing his game rapidly over the course of just 2 years. First time I saw him playing, he was just trying to be consistent and keep the ball on. Then he develops his aggression. Then he develops pace-variation which is his norm these days. He seems to start looking at the short game now and play it out with Ovtcharov sometimes (he used to just flick everything. No short). And the mental side too. He’s certainly not good at 10-8 lead. He slows down a tiny bit more off time relatively to the bronze medal match. And look at how he tried to say chooo and stare at smbdy (Not sure who, coach or opponent). It looks a little unnatural. He’s certainly trying to learn it.

he’s on the way to become Asian Timo Boll of short it seems. Calm, compact / compose, and clever.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
No matter which doubles lineup for Japan, the pairing of Boll/Franziska is better to me and if they are losing the doubles with Harimoto they are definitely screwed. On the other sides 2 singles wins are not guaranteed from Harimoto. In comparison with Kallberg he struggled more than Lin Yun-ju against Kallberg. Harimoto is not as strong as Lin Yun-ju in Tokyo. Germany has to be the favourite, will be really difficult for Japan.

It’s also kinda unfortunate for Japan that 2 weaker players are both left handed. What a co-incident 😂

Jan 2018
Dug up Miyazaki's evaluation in a TV program aired on July 23, 2020.

Japan will give up doubles against China. But against Germany, Japan will go with Niwa/Harimoto as the ABC team, and may go with either Niwa/Harimoto or Niwa/Mizutani as the XYZ team. Whether ABC/XYZ, if they go with Niwa/Harimoto, they will use Mizutani to catch Ovtcharov and Harimoto to catch Boll.

WT, China vs Japan
https://imgur.com/p5FYlVT

MT, China vs Japan
https://imgur.com/WKjQ2WA
Germany vs Japan
https://imgur.com/39v5zIM

Jan 2018
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

Chen Chien-an has been a great contributor to the Chinese Taipei team for an extended period of time. I'm sure team mates like Chuang Chih-yuan & Lin Yun-ju have plenty great things to say. I don't think he will play on the next games, hopefully the squad goes younger and build around Lin Yun-Yun-ju to give themselves best opportunity to win medals at national team events but sure both senior gentleman I have mentioned can be good developers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Replay of China v Germany Team SF
https://en.sports.nhk.or.jp/olympic/highlights/content/7b48a9d5-8deb-4a41-a5ea-a1c2a971904a/

at the very end of the match
1:40:20 the comment from Bobrow
Big point from Chen Meng leading 2sets to 1, and equalizing 9-9. She shouts a big Chorei, staring at Solja.

"that eye contact. Chen Meng making a statement AGAIN. Its ANIMALISTIC and its INTENTIONAL. and its fair, you know what ? this is sport. It is psychological. We see that a lot from other players. Even before the serve players will look at the receiver right in the eyes. A little bit of Rock-scissor-paper (...)"

Chen Meng then serves long the next point, Solja pushes long out of the table 10-8 for Chen Meng.
big "CHOREI !!!!" from Chen Meng.

Adam Bobrow: " and a tight serve, and there's the eye contact again. A very direct CHOREI to the face and this is one game, match and team match point (...)"

CM doesnt CHOREI when she equalizes 11-11 but another big one she scores 12-11, and the biggest one is for victory 13-11.

I hope that settles the chorei debate. The Chinese are the most vicious and the best at it. (MA Long, FZD or XU Xin behave the same as CM in tough matches). Harimoto wouldn't Cho on a missed receive like Solja did and doesn't stare at his opponent...

I don't condemn the Chinese players at all, i agree with Adam. This is sport. Those who can't take Choreis should play recreationally. or take another sport like archery or darts.

The only reasonable reason for Harimoto to stop Chorei is not that he is too loud. Its because if he's leaving too much energy at it, and if it makes him lose or reversedly motivates his opponents even more, then its a better tactic for him to quiet up a bit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Weeeeee, is it laughable for me to say that I have high hopes for Ishirano tomorrow? Assuming CM plays doubles that is, not insinuating anything here... heh.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Weeeeee, is it laughable for me to say that I have high hopes for Ishirano tomorrow? Assuming CM plays doubles that is, not insinuating anything here... heh.

How do you think they will line up tomorrow?
I think they go with CM/WMY in the doubles and have SYS play Mima again in singles

Makes sense SYS singles after 4-0 win

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
Tokyo 2020:
FZD: Goes to the locker room with QZJ before G4.
Fans: That is gross.

ML: Goes to the locker room with QZJ before decider.
Fans: That is class. 🤣

Rio 2016:
ML: Goes to the locker room with LGL after trailing 0-2.
JYS: Loses the next 4 games. 😭

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Niwa/Mizutani - Franziska/Boll
Harimoto - Ovtcharov
Mizutani - Boll
Harimoto - Franziska
Niwa - Ovtcharov

• Wow
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
Niwa/Mizutani - Franziska/Boll
2:10, 8 *bleep* game points. 2:11
2:8, 3:8, 3:11
3:0, 3:2, 4:2, 4:3, 5:3, 5:5, 5:6, 6:6, 6:8, 7:8, 7:9, 11:9. 4 in a row!
0:1, 2:1, 2:4, 5:4, 5:5, 5:6, 6:6, 7:6, 7:7, 9:7, 9:8, 11:8
0:3, 1:3, 1:5, 4:5, TO for GER, 5:5, 5:7, 6:7, 6:9, 7:9, 7:11

Last edited: