Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Congratulations TEAM JAPAN, well played....
TEAM CHINA your efforts highly appreciated, let this loss motivate you for the TEAM EVENT....

​​​​

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Down 2-9, then down 6-10 in the 7th against Germany, Japan pulls off a miracle. Down 0-2 in games against China, who have been steamrolling through opponents, pulls even and then back and forth to 3 games each. Mima and Jun play perfectly and 8-0 and withstand a China comeback to win it 11-6. These two have the heart of a champion. So proud of them showing the world nothing's impossible. ❤

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
yes i agree, i am most impressed by Mizutani. He almost wanted to stop TT after Rio, he lost to Harimoto his national title

he had his eye problem, but he overcame that, for Team Japan, for Mima whom he's known since she was a very little kid.
he even became a national champion again for the 10th time, and decided to withdraw from later competitions.

he said it would be his last international outing (no more ITTF opens as well). and you can see how he played with all his heart, and courage, and no fear, against his arch nemesis, XU Xin, from whom he's been humiliated so many times, but he first got a little revenge in Rio, but this one is so sweet....

This user has no status.
I don't think the Time Out call was that bad. Zhang Jike took timeout in the first set in 2012.

However.....Did I miss something or when did it become common to celebrate nets and edges?

I think that is only an "Olympic thing". That match was so important for both of them, that was the final. They couldn't compose themself.
This show you how vital was to win point after point no matter what

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't think the Time Out call was that bad. Zhang Jike took timeout in the first set in 2012.

However.....Did I miss something or when did it become common to celebrate nets and edges?

You celebrate the points you win. You can apologize for the nets and edges as well after.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Amazing – will this fire China up or the first of more upsets?

This is the only event that they had a risk of losing gold in (because of the gap in skill vs the #2 team and they have only one entry). The others are far less risky. Even upsets won't cost them gold in the others.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Wow, heartbroken for LSW but congratulations to Japan. Mizutani actually performed very well today IMO – he managed to put away many shots.

As a LSW fan that you are, what do you think short term future is for her?

I look at positives as they did go 7 games, effort there no doubt, disappointing but China being the team they are demand more, I get it....

Medal ceremony they looked dejected which I understand

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018

This is the only event that they had a risk of losing gold in (because of the gap in skill vs the #2 team and they have only one entry). The others are far less risky. Even upsets won't cost them gold in the others.

While I totally agree – it does show they aren't invincible

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
China is the clear favourite for all other 4 gold medals, but who knows ? today showed that they are humans. When Japan leveled at 2-2 afterwards, i think we saw XX miss shots he put 100% on the table till then, because of the growing pressure.

the Chinese players are the more skilled players, and the favourite to win, but in all the events, i think an upset is possible. It will be difficult for Mima to beat both SYS and CM, i actually think there is more chance in the Men's. ML definitely doesn't seem as dominant as he used to be. FZD looks invincible but you never know. If his opponent has the form of his life, and a little bit of luck, and then FZD gets nervous...

in team, an upset looks even less likely, but you never know. because doubles can often be a lottery and then LSW or ML are already past their peak. so...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
China is the clear favourite for all other 4 gold medals, but who knows ? today showed that they are humans. When Japan leveled at 2-2 afterwards, i think we saw XX miss shots he put 100% on the table till then, because of the growing pressure.

the Chinese players are the more skilled players, and the favourite to win, but in all the events, i think an upset is possible. It will be difficult for Mima to beat both SYS and CM, i actually think there is more chance in the Men's. ML definitely doesn't seem as dominant as he used to be. FZD looks invincible but you never know. If his opponent has the form of his life, and a little bit of luck, and then FZD gets nervous...

in team, an upset looks even less likely, but you never know. because doubles can often be a lottery and then LSW or ML are already past their peak. so...

Exactly that – a seed of doubt is placed. Makes it a bit more exciting!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

As a LSW fan that you are, what do you think short term future is for her?

I look at positives as they did go 7 games, effort there no doubt, disappointing but China being the team they are demand more, I get it....

Medal ceremony they looked dejected which I understand

Defo her last international tournament, so I would have thought a gold for XD would be the best consolation (I would have supported Ito for WS Gold wholeheartedly). Wells, another blemish on LSW's career then – Moscow 2010 and Tokyo 2020 😫

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

Defo her last international tournament, so I would have thought a gold for XD would be the best consolation (I would have supported Ito for WS Gold wholeheartedly). Wells, another blemish on LSW's career then – Moscow 2010 and Tokyo 2020 😫

It's not all bad. There are players from China who never get to play Olympics, or play but don't win Gold. There's no need to have a perfect record to be successful, and none of the previous champions had to face a threat like Ito.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018