Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Kasumi can redeem herself by help winning doubles w/ Hirano. Mima needs to win one of her two matches. She lost focus after being up 9-3 in the 2nd vs SYS but who knows what would have happened if she got that game so it's still possible to win a best of 5 with one of them. My hope is for Hirano to create a huge upset by beating LSW (hoping that's her opponent).

I've totally given up on Kasumi a while ago. she's not a good doubles player either. she often seems to play doubles just as if she was playing singles. as the leftie she should pivot step and attack FH more often but she's too often seen just making a safe rally shot with her BH.
Ishikawa+Hirano recently lost rather easily to the Korean pair, so against the Chinese pair there is no hope at all.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

I've totally given up on Kasumi a while ago. she's not a good doubles player either. she often seems to play doubles just as if she was playing singles. as the leftie she should pivot step and attack FH more often but she's too often seen just making a safe rally shot with her BH.Ishikawa+Hirano recently lost rather easily to the Korean pair, so against the Chinese pair there is no hope at all.

How big would it be to see Japan vs China finals in both team events? I had a look at the brackets and very possible.Face it Mima will carry Japan to the final if she needs to. Mizutani appears to be spiritual leader stepping into any role eg Doubles when required. Harimoto surely is hungry to make a statement after disappointing singles performance. I really don't want see Germany in the final.

I see heaps of changes to the squads after Tokyo. ​​​Team China one definate is LSW, other senior players such as XX ML CM will stick around, they are better than most LSW on other hand think ladies team fairly strong girls coming through. Team Japan I agree they will move past Kasumi and possible Hirano. Hayata and other girls will take their places and boys look just as strong so will also move past Koki and Mizutani. Chinese Taipei I expect they move past 80% of their squad build around Lin Yun-ju and CIC

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
next competition will be the Asian games, the JNT is Harimoto +( Kizukuri + Togami + Shinozuka + Muramatsu).

Apart from Harimoto, the other 4 won their ticket in an internal qualification tournament where all the favourites failed.

for the girls its (Ito + Ishikawa + Hirano) + (Hayata + Ando). there were only 2 tickets in the qualifying tournament.

Hayata defeated all her main opponents while Ando had a rather easy draw to the final.

However I wouldn't be surprised to see Ishikawa retire after the Olympics, at least from international competition.

Ai Fukuhara retired after Rio.Mizutani has already said so. He will just play in the TLeague (probably he gets a nice check).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
unfortunately they will play with Mizutani + Niwa in doubles. yeh they're in a mess. I hope at least they get thru Sweden in QF, but im not even sure they will.Germany and Korea are both strong, not sure Japan will get even the bronze.OTOH, the girls should get easily the finals, i think to have a chance to win, they should ask ISHIKAWA to get sick, and put HAYATA instead, and then let ITO+HAYATA play doubles, and ITO play in 3rd match. those must absolutely be won, then hope for another miracle.On the men's side, Im not sure UDA would get better results than NIWA, but at least he'd move his ass

I totally agree with you!
An example is the women's national team of Hungary ... G.POTA was filmed as if due to injury ...
But I'm pretty sure Japan won't trade Ishikawa for Hayata now ...
(a very big mistake of coaches, my personal opinion ...)

Reactions: 7malligk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
anyway HAYATA won't play. so this is pure speculation.

a victory in doubles counts the same as in singles. The Japanese should now understand that ITO winning CM or SYS is much less likely than winning the doubles, and the HAYATA / ITO pair would be much better than HAYATA / HIRANO. ITO/HAYATA have played together many times, and won the national champs several times, and iirc also on the tour. By playing the doubles, ITO would for sure avoid CM or SYS, giving 50% chance of an encounter with LSW.

Then HIRANO has done nothing in last 3 years against China, but if Japan has a lead, and its only best-of-5, with the pressure, you'd never know. And HAYATA has also a singles to play.

Very reasonable!
I agree completely!
(but, probably, the coaches of the Japanese national team will not agree with us ...)

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
next competition will be the Asian games, the JNT is Harimoto +( Kizukuri + Togami + Shinozuka + Muramatsu).

Apart from Harimoto, the other 4 won their ticket in an internal qualification tournament where all the favourites failed.

for the girls its (Ito + Ishikawa + Hirano) + (Hayata + Ando). there were only 2 tickets in the qualifying tournament.

Hayata defeated all her main opponents while Ando had a rather easy draw to the final.

However I wouldn't be surprised to see Ishikawa retire after the Olympics, at least from international competition.

Ai Fukuhara retired after Rio.Mizutani has already said so. He will just play in the TLeague (probably he gets a nice check).

I do see Jun Mizutani in a role after retirement for the Japanese team. His been an iconic figure for Japanese Table Tennis.... Has lead Japan to best results in Rio and now in Tokyo. Harimoto might better at his age and more developed than what Jun was at same age but Harimoto still has plenty to learn, Mizutani can help him and younger boys coming through.

Xu Xin on the other side think will also stick around for the Chinese team. Think they like a mix of successful ex players in coaching ranks like LGL and Ma Lin and coaches that have stumbled on the last hurdles to be that reminding voice in the locker rooms when young players slack off or don't take things seriously. XX think will bring plenty to the team in coaching no doubt. LSW think time is up, moving forward any Mixed Doubles entries for tournaments expect to see WCQ & WMY team up and other younger combinations under the guidance of Ma Lin & XX.

XX legacy might be tainted as under Performed in Rio & in Tokyo in honourable losses but his still one of the best all rounded players to ever play the game like Wang Hao was so expect coaching job soon for him when reshuffle happens. I hope Ma Lin stays and think he will too

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Here you can download (and watch if the video is processed) the full match Ma Long vs Dimitrij Ovtcharov in high quality with german commentary.

link removed. pm me

I don't know how long I will keep it up. The match starts at around min 50 so the file size is a bit bloated (2.58 gb). I downloaded it from a german site that has all the german national tv shows like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017

WMY usually pairs with WCQ for Mixed Doubles
When LSW injured XX paired with SYS and won title together

Sorry MaLin2.0. I had a brain freeze and asked about XD. I since edited my post as they are now playing Teams event in Tokyo. Who will play women's doubles in the Team event with LSW withdrawing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

Sorry MaLin2.0. I had a brain freeze and asked about XD. I since edited my post as they are now playing Teams event in Tokyo. Who will play women's doubles in the Team event with LSW withdrawing.

No sure yet, however believe CM will pair with her with SYS playing 2 singles matches if required. CM been training for Doubles and usually WMY Doubles partner. Both won in Australia 2019, I was in attendance that game and caught autographed ball by both once they won the final

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
So Ito's masters – CM, SYS and WMY – are all gonna be around. Guess all hopes lie on Ishikawa-senpai and Miu-chan – ike, ike, ike!! At least try to take the first game as doubles blackhole CM will be there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
So Ito's masters – CM, SYS and WMY – are all gonna be around. Guess all hopes lie on Ishikawa-senpai and Miu-chan – ike, ike, ike!! At least try to take the first game as doubles blackhole CM will be there.

I will admit the team does look scarier with WMY inclusion.

I would love to be right now in the CNT inner circle to get their thoughts and discussions they have had with the squad

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
only way is to bring HAYATA in to increase winning chances from 0% to 5%

What's funny about this comment of yours is the fact Japanese wouldn't do that but Chinese team would 😂

Say Kasumi or Mima give bad performances in either event, they might be tempted to give Hina a chance but because of the team spirit they wouldn't, Hina will still be equally part of that spirit cheering her team mates on.

Chinese team also very team focused, team driven, team first, players supporting their team mates too, defeat is not taken easily so decisions like today's one will be made, more to maintain the standards and message ahead of the overall spirit

Other smaller teams like Chinese Taipei might not matter as much as might survive few rounds then run into stronger teams like Japan or China 😛. Spirit there but changes are ones that can adjusted after tournaments not during
​​​​​​