Tokyo 2020 | 2020/7/24-8/9

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Jan 2018
Not this shit again, Boll! The plot line always ends up the same every frigging Olympics! It begs the question: did he do it intentionally to bail out?

https://www.sportschau.de/newsticker/dpa-tischtennis-ass-boll-an-der-huefte-verletzt-story100.html
"Bei einem Ausfallschritt ist es mir in die rechte Hüfte gefahren", sagte Boll. Ob sein Olympia-Start im Einzel und in der Mannschaft beeinträchtigt oder sogar gefährdet ist, ist aktuell noch unklar. "Wir müssen nun die nächste Woche abwarten und hoffen, dass wir mit vier gesunden Spielern nach Tokio fahren können", sagte Bundestrainer Jörg Roßkopf.

Der frühere Weltranglisten-Erste Dimitrij Ovtcharov verzichtete aus Gründen der Vorsicht ebenfalls auf seine Endspielteilnahme bei der "Tokio Challenge". "Gestern gegen Dang hat es im Knie gezwickt, jetzt ist der linke Fuß ein bisschen geschwollen. Ich bin noch gesund, aber nach der EM hatte ich das Trainingspensum noch weiter hochgefahren und bin jetzt am Limit", sagte der 32-Jährige.
"When I stepped forward, it hit my right hip," said Boll. It is currently unclear whether his start in the individual and team at the Olympics will be impaired or even endangered. "We now have to wait the next week and hope that we can go to Tokyo with four healthy players," said national coach Jörg Roßkopf.

Former world number one Dimitrij Ovtcharov also decided not to take part in the "Tokyo Challenge" final for reasons of caution. "Yesterday against Dang there was a pinch in the knee, now my left foot is a bit swollen. I'm still healthy, but after the European Championships I increased my training schedule even further and am now at the limit," said the 32-year-old.

For more:
https://www.sportbuzzer.de/artikel/...tennis-timo-boll-dimitrij-ovtcharov-verletzt/
https://www.giessener-allgemeine.de/sport/sport-mix/timo-boll-an-der-huefte-verletzt-90855121.html
https://www.mopo.de/sport/sportmix/olympia-gefaehrdet-timo-boll-an-der-huefte-verletzt/
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2021-07-12/doc-ikqciyzk4970205.shtml

Had Tokyo 2020 been held on time, Boll would've been pushed around in SINGLES, AGAIN, 99% certain. Just not the type of player who gets it done in SINGLES when it counts. He has the habit of getting injured/losing form before the majors even during his prime. WTTC 2007, WTTC 2008(didn't attend) and Beijing 2008, WTTC 2009(didn't attend, 1, 2, 3), London 2012... Yet, he is a different animal in TEAM event. Don't count him out. It took a once-in-a-lifetime-XX-beating Mizutani to take him out at Rio 2016, when Boll was yet again injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Less than 2 weeks away and ITTF still has yet to post the "COMPETITION FORMAT AND SPECIFIC REGULATIONS". What gives?

Tokyo in its fourth state of emergency. This really isn't ideal. Some athletes already withdrawn, some I bet logistically have nightmares entering Japan. Some put off by no spectators, locked up majority of time only time released is to compete or train.

​​​​I bet not just ITTF but other sporting bodies having crisis and tough times figuring out draws and regulations. Probably making calls to players, officials umpires etc to see who is still actually coming.

Paraolympics bet will be even bigger nightmare

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Pardon my ignorance, but is it not possible to renegotiate the contracts with the sponsors to postpone the Olympics until they're further along on the vaccine rollout?

This is a world where common sense is rarely taken into consideration instead rather the interests of those in power and their pockets hence all the problems in the world.

Tokyo 2021 is no different, not only are Bach, Suga and associates placing Japanese public at risk but also players, officials and the globe say new strain emerges as a result of all these players from across the globe coming together. Games likely to proceed however if you notice more and more athletes from many sports withdrawing soon I expect few teams here and there to do the same. I think lot of high profile athletes just refuse to be part of the circus. Not like there is any prize money for competing, used to be about national pride but under these circumstances really doesn't matter.

Good karma will be which probably will happen
1. IOC losing mass revenue and prestige with professional athletes just not expressing interests in attending. Less countries making bids to host the event.
2. Sponsors absolutely making no money and going bust by pressuring these bodies to honour contracts, have minimal people watching commercials and buying merchandise
3. Japanese government losing faith of their supporter bases for decades, also having major bill at end of all this making it most expensive games ever. No spectators at the venues alone with be like having a limb amputated when they see the overall loss statements.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I'm confused, are spectators allowed into venues or not? Is the tactic to not allow paying spectators in but allow Japanese students into venues gratus to cheer on the Japanese athletes? Create a South American type environment for foreign teams?

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
GO, JAPAN, GO ...

The Japanese have made a wise and fearless decision —all Olympic competitions will take place from beginning to end without the access of the audience. Of course, the monetary loss for the Japanese financial system will be very colossal, but the moral benefit, in the end, will be much greater and that's why.
➀ Thousands and thousands of young, voicy Japanese students will invade onto vacant spectator seats. It will be a crushing acoustic attack to shock any opponent. It's even scary to think of what a hellish bang-bang they can produce inside, if equipped with sound-amplifying accessories, woozuzela pipes and the suchlike.
My Japanese colleague from the JTTA National Association told me in a private conversation that Chinese team did never expect this noisy trick at all, and they will suffer a strong psychogenical blow and will go defeated against Japanese tennis players at the most crucial stages of the Olympic Table Tennis Tournament on July 24 - August 5, 2021.

➁ Another smart move by Japanese is the emergency anti-virus rules as adopted for Olympic table tennis events, when player is to be given a warning and a penalty point whenever touching the table top with his hand for wiping.
European masters have long gave up this bad habit, while the Chinese continue to do so because of their lax discipline, and they shall regret badly for it —the Olympic Judge is very exacting while being on duty..

[video]<br />x[/video]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
GO, JAPAN, GO ...

The Japanese have made a wise and fearless decision —all Olympic competitions will take place from beginning to end without the access of the audience. Of course, the monetary loss for the Japanese financial system will be very colossal, but the moral benefit, in the end, will be much greater and that's why.
➀ Thousands and thousands of young, voicy Japanese students will invade onto vacant spectator seats. It will be a crushing acoustic attack to shock any opponent. It's even scary to think of what a hellish bang-bang the can produce, if equipped with sound-amplifying accessories, woozuzela pipes and the suchlike.
My Japanese colleague from the JTTA National Association told me in a private conversation, and Chinese athletes do not expect this trick at all, and they will suffer a strong moral blow and an go defeated against Japanese tennis players at the most critical stages of the Olympic Table Tennis Tournament on July 24-August 5, 2021.

➁ Another smart move by Japanese is the emergency anti-virus rules as adopted for Olympic table tennis events, when player is to be given a warning and a penalty point whenever touching the table top with his hand for wiping.
European masters have long gave up this bad habit, while the Chinese continue to do so because of their lax discipline, and they shall regret badly for it —the Olympic Judge is very exacting while being on duty..

[video]
x[/video]

I checked the YouTube link doesn't mention about Japanese students allowed into venues.... Mentions the public health experts been warning and objecting to the games being held for sometime. If students allowed into venues surely that would upset the population, doctors and health experts even more.

Is that the word, students allowed in to create momentum for the Japanese athletes and spike fear into foreign teams with the loud noise? Pretty sure before spectator ban cheering and hugging etc banned

Jan 2018
I'm confused, are spectators allowed into venues or not? Is the tactic to not allow paying spectators in but allow Japanese students into venues gratus to cheer on the Japanese athletes? Create a South American type environment for foreign teams?
From what I gather, as of 7/13:

http://japan.people.com.cn/BIG5/n1/2021/0713/c35421-32156788.html

僅剩三個賽場允許觀眾入內

當地時間7月8日晚,日本政府、東京都、東京奧組委、國際奧委會、國際殘奧委會五方商議,決定首都圈1都3縣(東京都、埼玉縣、千葉縣、神奈川縣)空場辦賽,宮城、福島、靜岡三縣繼續沿用“50%以內,不超過1萬人”的人數限制,茨城縣僅限於學校組織的學生入場,北海道待定。次日,北海道政府宣布,在當地舉辦的足球比賽改為空場舉辦。福島縣政府當天也提出,新冠疫情形勢“不容樂觀”,希望禁止觀眾入場。奧組委表示“很遺憾”,但隻能接受地方的決定。至此,東京奧運會允許有現場觀眾的賽場隻剩下三個:在宮城縣、茨城縣舉行的足球比賽與在靜岡縣舉行的場地自行車比賽。持續已久的“有無觀眾”爭論最終落下定音。

There are only 3 venues left to allow spectators to enter

On the evening of July 8, local time, the Japanese government, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, the Tokyo Olympic Organizing Committee, the International Olympic Committee, and the International Paralympic Committee negotiated and decided that 1 Metropolis and 3 Prefectures in the Greater Tokyo Area(Tokyo, Saitama Prefecture, Chiba Prefecture, and Kanagawa Prefecture) will hold events behind closed doors. The 3 Prefectures of Miyagi, Fukushima, and Shizuoka will continue to use the "below 50%, no more than 10,000" spectator limit. Ibaraki Prefecture is limited to school-organized students to enter the venue. Hokkaido is pending. The next day, the Hokkaido government announced that the local football events would be held behind closed doors. The Fukushima prefectural government also stated that the situation of COVID-19 was "not optimistic" and hoped that spectators would be prohibited from entering the venue. The Organizing Committee of the Olympic Games expressed "regret", but could only accept the decision. So far, there are only 3 venues left that will admit live spectators in the Tokyo Olympics: the football events held in Miyagi Prefecture and Ibaraki Prefecture, and the track cycling events held in Shizuoka Prefecture. The long-lasting debate about "will there be spectators?" has finally come to an end.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
From what I gather, as of 7/13:

http://japan.people.com.cn/BIG5/n1/2021/0713/c35421-32156788.html

There are only 3 venues left to allow spectators to enter

On the evening of July 8, local time, the Japanese government, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, the Tokyo Olympic Organizing Committee, the International Olympic Committee, and the International Paralympic Committee negotiated and decided that 1 Metropolis and 3 Prefectures in the Greater Tokyo Area(Tokyo, Saitama Prefecture, Chiba Prefecture, and Kanagawa Prefecture) will hold events behind closed doors. The 3 Prefectures of Miyagi, Fukushima, and Shizuoka will continue to use the "below 50%, no more than 10,000" spectator limit. Ibaraki Prefecture is limited to school-organized students to enter the venue. Hokkaido is pending. The next day, the Hokkaido government announced that the local football events would be held behind closed doors. The Fukushima prefectural government also stated that the situation of COVID-19 was "not optimistic" and hoped that spectators would be prohibited from entering the venue. The Organizing Committee of the Olympic Games expressed "regret", but could only accept the decision. So far, there are only 3 venues left that will admit live spectators in the Tokyo Olympics: the football events held in Miyagi Prefecture and Ibaraki Prefecture, and the track cycling events held in Shizuoka Prefecture. The long-lasting debate about "will there be spectators?" has finally come to an end.

Table Tennis matches will be held at Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium so I am assuming based on what you have posted no spectators including school children will be attending, unless I am missing something

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
now that all is set and done I wonder if i will be able to watch the TT games anywhere at all, ideally for free 😁
I mean, why would anybody even bother sending camera crews to record the events ????

I think you should, check out in your country who is televising it and apps to watch it on. When you think about it only way they get people viewing the matches now giving the restrictions

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
As predicted more and more high profile athletes from many sports withdrawing from participating in Tokyo, still 8-9 days to go so expect lot more athletes decide not to board the plane.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
As predicted more and more high profile athletes from many sports withdrawing from participating in Tokyo, still 8-9 days to go so expect lot more athletes decide not to board the plane.

Yep, i agree.
As in : " oops, sorry , would love to play but bumped my hip against the table" or Sorry but i feel a bit of a niggle on my knee. 😁

At least my excuse is : "Sorry, would love to play but i am old and unfit and a pretty crappy TT-player. 😆

Reactions: MaLin2.0
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

Yep, i agree.
As in : " oops, sorry , would love to play but bumped my hip against the table" or Sorry but i feel a bit of a niggle on my knee. 😁

At least my excuse is : "Sorry, would love to play but i am old and unfit and a pretty crappy TT-player. 😆

To be honest think their countries would consider them more national hero's if they actually didn't attend haha....

Seriously what is a Gold Medal?.... Is it a Copa America trophy? Euro Trophy? World Cup Trophy? Tour De France title? NBA ring? Wimbledon trophy?

Its non of those, soo many trophy's and titles that hold more prestige to athletes of other sports so decision to skip the event due to lockdown, covid etc are easy ones for them.... Table Tennis we still hold the Olympics as the Pinnacle so kinda diffent but that's only few sports....