Zhang Jike avoids Ma long's hand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
It is apparent from the video footage below that World Champion Zhang Jike did not shake hands with Ma Long at the end of the match! This is crazy behaviour for my liking! What do you all think?

Discuss...

zhanghand.jpg

Full match below thanks to ttCountenance!

Could this have an impact on Zhang Jike’s future? Would you have him on your team for the Olympics in London?

Last edited:

Lan

says ahh that sucks, thamks for writing back though:)

Lan

says ahh that sucks, thamks for writing back though:)
Jan 2011
what a poor sportsmanship from that young man!

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
ZJK does not have the attitude of a great sportsman but Ma Long is already a legend!

To Choolee: Whatever happened in the match, there cannot be any excuse not to shake hands. This is table tennis not boxing!

Agree, this is just stupidity from Zhang Jike.. And I kinda liked the guy, but not so much now. I mean, I like his play, but not his person and bad sportsmanship :(

Ma Long took it great tho, he wasn't making a big scene out of it :)

This user has no status.
He just got owned 4-0 by Ma Long, I understand that he could be very frustrated because he won most other matches against him, as well as ending his winning streak, and now not winning this match (to show that he can keep winning from Ma all the time). But wow, it feels so awkward to see Ma Long there (probably thinking: wtf?) and ZJK walking away.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
didnt see the full match ... cant judge someone of a cut together vid ... but this will be enough for some ppl to pass judgment on him ( most of the time these ppl tend to think pretty simple )

Well this video clearly shows the end of the match without any cut and Zhang walks out of the playing area without shaking Ma Long's hand, it's enough for me to pass judgement on ZJK again it's incredibly poor for an athlete of his level to show such bad sportsmanship, especially to a teammate.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
Hey guys, here is a news article from a popular China news website, it talks about the match and also has Zhang explaining why he made that mistake of not shaking Ma Long's hand.

比赛结束的时候,就连张继科自己也陷入到思考之中,这甚至使他忘记了和马龙进行礼节性的握手致意。不过,来到新闻发布厅的时候,继科显然已经走出了比赛的状态,落座之后他非常诚恳的主动对大家说,“刚刚没跟马龙握手,首先在这里我想要澄清一下,我不是有意的,可能还是太投入了在想比赛中的细节吧。” "The end of the game, even Zhang fell into deep thought about what happened in the match, and that even made him forget the courtesy to shake hands. However, came the news conference hall, by then it appared that Zhang was mentally out of the state of the game, taking the seat, he was very sincere and took the first initiative to say, "I did not shake hands with Ma long, first of all I want to explain here, I didn't do that on purpose, I was still be preoccupied with the details of the match.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2012-03-01/21175964150.shtml

张继科盛赞马龙球没的说 主动解释赛后为何没握手 (title of the article: Zhang praised Ma Long's skills - and took the initative to explain why he didn't shake hands)
http://sports.sina.com.cn 2012年03月01日21:17 新浪体育微博

新浪体育讯 北京时间3月1日消息,2012年乒乓球(微博)亚锦赛在澳门继续进行,马龙收获男子单打冠军。在决赛中他完全压制住队友张继科,以11比9、12比10、12比10、11比5直落四局横扫队友卫冕成功,马龙实现了亚锦赛男单的两连冠。

本场比赛张继科在前两局曾经占据过一定的领衔优势,但是每当进入到决胜阶段之后,他的发挥就显得不如开局那么出色。尤为值得一提的是第二局,张继科在8比8平之后连续有两次非常好的接发球,这直接帮助他以10比8拿到了两个局点,不过随后他又连丢4分,反被马龙12比10逆转取胜。

此后马龙显得更加主动,而张继科则相对处在了下风,马龙趁势再胜两局以4比0大胜张继科。半决赛张继科经过跌宕起伏的七局大战4比3击败王皓,气势和信心方面应该说不存在问题,而且在今年年初的公开赛中他还曾经战胜过马龙,终结了马龙半年多不败的恐怖纪录。本场决赛张继科直接以0比4告负,这样的结果或多或少还是让人感觉到一些意外。

比赛结束的时候,就连张继科自己也陷入到思考之中,这甚至使他忘记了和马龙进行礼节性的握手致意。不过,来到新闻发布厅的时候,继科显然已经走出了比赛的状态,落座之后他非常诚恳的主动对大家说,“刚刚没跟马龙握手,首先在这里我想要澄清一下,我不是有意的,可能还是太投入了在想比赛中的细节吧。” "The end of the game, even Zhang fell into deep thought about what happened in the match, and that even made him forget the courtesy to shake hands. However, came the news conference hall, by then it appared that Zhang was mentally out of the state of the game, taking the seat, he was very sincere and took the first initiative to say, "I did not shake hands with Ma long, first of all I want to explain here, I didn't do that on purpose, I was still be preoccupied with the details of the match.

谈到本场比赛大比分失利的原因,张继科总结说,“前两局有机会没拿下来,关键的战机球没把握好,都是在领先的情况下输的,第三局在落后的情况下又是咬到了10比10然后输,三局球都是输两分,自己心态受到一定影响,产生了一定的波动吧。”

马龙继续着火爆的发挥,而在谈到这位大半年来风头极其强劲的队友时,张继科也是不吝溢美之词,“马龙技术非常全面,作为世界排名第一的选手,我认为他的球没的说。我认为跟他比赛非常有意思,双方能较上劲儿,无论输赢都能总结出一定的东西,所以很期待下次再跟他比赛。”张继科说。

谈到下午与王皓的半决赛,张继科表示比赛打得一波三折,自己和王皓在拉锯战中好几次错进错出,张继科说:“我大分打到3比1领先,第五局10比8领先但没拿下来,反而是第七局7比10落后之后连得5分获胜了。我觉得我和王皓犯了同样的错误,领先之后有点着急。”不过,在被问到半决赛的消耗是否影响了自己决赛的发挥时,张继科并不想为自己找借口,“我认为还好吧,体力不是最大的问题。”

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
At 4-2 and then 5-2 ZJ putted his bat on the table kinda angry.
ZJ took time out after that. ZJ could get there yellow card but he got away with it.
But this after the match is a DEEP RED CARD,
how about a BAN FOR AT LEAST 1 YEAR ITTF?
Here in Holland we get money punishments from the NTTB for
things like putting wrong date, match date wrong and so on...
So what is the ITTF gonna do with this? Hmmm....

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
You can't red card someone for not shaking hands, that's a bit absurd. It's poor sportsmanship but it's not outside the rules of the sport.

Either way I think he's lying, as I said on the other thread, learning to shake hands after a match is as robotically built in to each player as ZJK's technique is, you don't 'forget' to shake hands no matter what you are thinking.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
If I was the referee that match then ZJ would get a DEEP RED CARD,
and if ITTF dont like then they can ban me haha.
Referee decide what ZJ action was worth, but he did nothing.
In soccer and other sports referee judge win his own opinion,
not only by written rules, thats why there will be never be a robot referee
in soccer hehe.
Ohhh myyy I hope that all those innocent children who likes tt
not gonna see this. Parents keep innocent children away from ZJ!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
1 Is it because ZJK resented being ordered to lose?
2 Will MaLong use this as reason to teach ZJK a lesson when the world watches the OLy?
3 Who is really the better player?

Stay tuned, Folks, for the unfolding drama in the next enthralling episode of ZJK V MaLong.

Intersting Mark. I believe it has been known for Chinese players ordered to lose on purpose before. Perhaps this was the case and Zhang Jike was not happy with the decision?

The end of the game, even Zhang fell into deep thought about what happened in the match, and that even made him forget the courtesy to shake hands. However, came the news conference hall, by then it appared that Zhang was mentally out of the state of the game, taking the seat, he was very sincere and took the first initiative to say, "I did not shake hands with Ma long, first of all I want to explain here, I didn't do that on purpose, I was still be preoccupied with the details of the match.

Thanks for this article Sarah! :)

Interesting what Zhang Jike is saying.. It didn't even look like Zhang Jike was focussed in the last points to try and win. Everything was quiet and it was all set for Ma Long to win. I am sure, he new exactly what he was doing. I don't think I have ever seen a player avoid shaking hands with someone. Maybe, he wants to win so bad that he is disheartened that Ma Long had beat him. I dunno just strange, because he must know how millions are watching him. Will be interesting to see what Liu Guoliang posts about this. Please keep us posted :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Everything said and done, I believe when somebody is so passionate about the game he or she can cross the line in a moment of fury ( which I believe to be true , ZJK was madly angry with himself because he was completely outplayed ) . I believe everybody at some point in time has been guilty of this.
Especially, in case of persons who grow up into professionals , they have so less time and focus outside the sports it becomes the be all and end all. Take the case of Federer, he was bratty when he was growing into the legend he is now.
Its more important to see if ZJK learns from this and makes sure he does not repeat this. But come on, we have seen much worse behavior from other people.