How to choose a good blade (among the model)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
How to choose a good blade (among the same model)

Hello everyone

Just wondering how one can select a good blade among the same model.

To avoid confusion, I mean if there are 10 blades (of the same model) in front of me, the kind of things I should be looking for.

I remember reading people wold pick up the blade and knock it against their head to hear its acoustics?

I had the impression that the heavier it is, the better it usually is. I have also heard the straighter the wood grain, the better. Also to check and see if the wood plies are one piece or glued together (not sure what you call that).

What kind of qualities indicate good feel, good quality wood?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
I like to pick fishscale aka quartersawn blades. They look really nice and have higher resale value. Some people say they play a bit different but I am not sure about that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I like to pick fishscale aka quartersawn blades. They look really nice and have higher resale value. Some people say they play a bit different but I am not sure about that.
Yes I have heard about fish scale. Supposed to be harder and faster wood? Not sure.
I am after touch/feel/control though. Does it have anything to do with it?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I find hte one that is absolutely the heaviest that no one in their right mind would play, complain it is unusable, and that I should basically acquire it for the price of peanuts since no one would buy it anyway.

Too bad it never works out that way as MANY peopple are like me in luvin' sum heavy blades.

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I find hte one that is absolutely the heaviest that no one in their right mind would play, complain it is unusable, and that I should basically acquire it for the price of peanuts since no one would buy it anyway.

Too bad it never works out that way as MANY peopple are like me in luvin' sum heavy blades.

So it sounds like you prefer heavy ones. Is it because they basically give you better shot quality? since heavier it is, the more massive the impact.

Is there any other reason? or other qualities you look for

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think Maybe it will hurt more than help To go in this deep. Since I smash with short pimple and currently use all wood I want as thick blade as possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
On the other hand the lighter wood may offer a bit more flex and it could be potentially dryer. When I choose between the same blades I try to listen to the pitch. Finally it's all about personal preferences

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
On the other hand the lighter wood may offer a bit more flex and it could be potentially dryer. When I choose between the same blades I try to listen to the pitch. Finally it's all about personal preferences

Thats interesting. Are you listening for higher or lower pitch? and what difference does it make, is it just power? or does it also tell you more about the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
If the exact same model, thicker = stiffer = faster.

Heavier usually equals faster, but could also mean a heavier handle. If the weight difference is significant, heavier = faster too.

I also play short pips and go for 7mm+ blades. But keep in mind, if you go too thick, you will start to loose some of the fine touch feeling.

The feel threshold is very personal. I like mine around 7.2-7.4mm thick and 100-120g. But I play single-sided penhold, that kind of weights might be too much for 2 rubbers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I think Maybe it will hurt more than help To go in this deep. Since I smash with short pimple and currently use all wood I want as thick blade as possible.

Lula, you seem to be EJing alot! What have you settled on?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Higher pitch usually means faster blade.
From what I know higher pitch means denser. It doesn't always equal speed. When speaking about pure wood blades it is often the case. When composites come into play different things may happen. My friend has Gewo Aruna and that is a rocket ship despite measuring 1250Hz when ball bounced in the center.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Lula, you seem to be EJing alot! What have you settled on?

Have used yasaka extra special for a while now. I like it. Will Try Clipper cr master mostly too see how the handle
Fits.

Have used joola express ultra for a while but think I will settle on victas 102. Better grip.

Inverted I use Donic bluefire m1 turbo.

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Higher pitch among the same blades means stiffer of course, which for me translates into bouncier rather than pure power. The more weight may bring some power unless the weight is in the handle. For example the head-heavier blade is always faster than the handle-heavy one no matter the weight

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Weight is personal preference. It seems like people are all convinced that pro players all choose heavy blades...yes and no. Slightly heavier is common, but I know a good number of pro players that also prefer medium range (85-88) or even lighter blades. Lighter blades (and handle shape) generally make it easier to transition and make small grip changes during game play. Also some female players need those.