Clipper Wood (Original) vs CR

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
China has the best players in the world with the biggest market of professionals. If you don't sell the best to the Chinese professional market, then it won't sell. I know that for the wide range of professional players in China, they first get the 'Best quality' blades, and then they choose their blade from that special selection. Most people (especially the Chinese pro players) won't buy low/lower quality stuff, it's common sense.

As for tt online shops in Japan, I think iruiru is good but I also heard that ttjapan is good with a bigger set of goods.

What do you mean by the wide range of professional players in China? For provincial players, they usually get better Hurricane rubbers. Blades are not a guarantee, the special ones are usually for national team players and maybe sometimes provincial players if they are lucky.

As for OP's question, Chinese pro players really like the CR version. Not really sure why, it seems its just a classic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
What do you mean by the wide range of professional players in China? For provincial players, they usually get better Hurricane rubbers. Blades are not a guarantee, the special ones are usually for national team players and maybe sometimes provincial players if they are lucky.

As for OP's question, Chinese pro players really like the CR version. Not really sure why, it seems its just a classic.

Professional Players include national, provincial, really anyone who trains seriously and daily/weekly with the intention of making money and being the best. Also, it is very likely that every pro player is using a special blade in China. It isn't that hard (but still not easy) to find a guy in a big club who can get and sell special blades like a w968, table tennis is huge in China with every brand offering the a wide range of products.

I can speak from experience from my time in China that even kids have golden viscarias, and almost every coach and pro or ex-pro player has a special quality blade. Like I said before, why would you want to use something low/lower in quality, especially for the professional player whose life is to play Table tennis.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Professional Players include national, provincial, really anyone who trains seriously and daily/weekly with the intention of making money and being the best. Also, it is very likely that every pro player is using a special blade in China. It isn't that hard (but still not easy) to find a guy in a big club who can get and sell special blades like a w968, table tennis is huge in China with every brand offering the a wide range of products.

I can speak from experience from my time in China that even kids have golden viscarias, and almost every coach and pro or ex-pro player has a special quality blade. Like I said before, why would you want to use something low/lower in quality, especially for the professional player whose life is to play Table tennis.

If you mean special as in chosen from a batch, sure. Specially made, not so much. I know a good number of provincial players who have said they just buy the same stuff, hence my question.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
If you mean special as in chosen from a batch, sure. Specially made, not so much. I know a good number of provincial players who have said they just buy the same stuff, hence my question.

Oh yeah I don't mean specially made from factory or custom, I just meant w968 vs HL5 or Stiga silver sticker vs the regular sticker in which most pro players in China would have the 'better version'.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I think all brands have blades with the 7-layer wood structure. Clipper is Limba-5xAyous-Limba. I have the Yinhe Purple Dragon 437 and the Sanwei Fextra. The Fextra has a thicker handle and 2x Limba/3x Ayous/2x Limba. Everyone I know who has one loves it (read the reviews). Megaspin has it for $35, princett for $20 (but it takes 2-3 months to get to the USA from Hong Kong). The Fextra is a little faster than the 437 PD (also a little higher pitch without rubbers) but they are very comparable although the Fextra handle is thicker than the 437 PD which is thicker than the typical Yasaka handle (e.g. from the Ma Lin Extra Offensive). Also the Fextra and 437 handles have a more rectangular cross section compared to the more elliptic Yasaka handles.
I love the control the Fextra provides (due to the softer top layers) but it has the speed when needed (I play close to the table Mima Ito like with short pips backhand so I don't need extreme speed from the blade). The 437 PD is OK too, I play it with the DHS Hurricane Neo and the Yinhe Pluto short pips on the b/h.
So I think the Fextra is a good recommendation...

As usual I sand the edges off with 100/250/600 sandpaper and then varnish the blade with WalMart MinWax polyurethane satin coat before putting the rubbers on, this way I can wash it after playing in detergent & disinfectant.

Also, the handle shapes are different between the various blades. I always use tapered handles, and I measured the width and thickness at the neck (the end of the handle is irrelevant for holding). Also the thickness of the blade. These are some of my blades (weight without rubber, neck width * thickness in mm, elliptic or more rectangular, blade thickness in mm). The Fextra also feels like the thickest handle because it is more rectangular and 2mm thicker than say the Purple Dragon 437:

• Yasaka Battle Balsa, 75g, 28.6/23.6/ell., 6.4mm
  • Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon(1305), 89g, 28.5/22.7/ell., 6.0mm
  • Yinhe PD-437 (1356-1432), 88g, 26.9/23.4/rect., 6.5mm
  • Sanwei Fextra (1356-1376), 95g, 28.4/25.5/rect., 6.4mm
  • Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (1378-1400), 86g, 28.6/23.2/ell., 6.0mm
  • Yasaka Goiabao 5, 90g, 28.4/23.0, ell⇒rect., 6.3mm

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Reading from this thread many mention that cr is faster than regular clipper, how could cr be faster if regular clipper is thicker? among the version of clipper which one suited for short pips fh?

Sent from my Redmi 6A using Tapatalk

I though same thickness? Know that cr is treated that makes ut harder. Think easier to smash with harder faster blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have not.own both cr and regular clipper but in tt11 regular clipper is at 6.6mm while cr is 6.4mm, maybe the treated cr makes it faster

Sent from my Redmi 6A using Tapatalk

If you play penhold i definely think you should go for the faster blade since you guys play so close and fast to the table.