Clipper Wood (Original) vs CR

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hello guys, I have some questions about Clipper wood.

For 3 months, I used a Clipper CR (with Tibhar EL-S both sides) and liked it a lot. It really made me work for my shots, and hence helped me to develop my strokes (especially forehand top spin). The blade was quite badly damaged at the end so I retired it.

Nittaku Adelie has been my blade since then. It is thinner, slower, and easy to use. However I am still missing the feeling I used to get with Clipper CR. Not sure if it is the what you call "Stiga feel" or is it just good control with speed.

I have been doing some readings about the different Clippers. While a lot of people still like the wood (original) version, many others seem to favour the CR version. Also seen a lot of comments about how the newly manufactured Clippers are no where as good as what they used to be.

Are Clippers still good?
How does Clipper wood (original) compare to the CR version? Is it worth while?
Without the the CR treatment, I imagine it to be softer and hence better control....?
Or should I just get another Clipper CR.

Really want to hear from people who have tried the different Clippers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How do you play? And at what level?

Think how you play is important.

I think regular clipper is softer and slower. So probably higher arc and good for looping.

A lot of players use faster setup with the plastic ball but I think as a coach that we mortals probably would benefit from slower setup. Not as fun tho.

There are also clipper cc which have a bit carbon in it. Maybe you can look at that one Aswell.

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
You might want to take a look at:

Stiga Clipper 75 Anniversary edition
Stiga Clipper CC

both are amazing in control and feel, especially the anniversary edition, has a nice feel.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
How do you play? And at what level?

Think how you play is important.

I think regular clipper is softer and slower. So probably higher arc and good for looping.

A lot of players use faster setup with the plastic ball but I think as a coach that we mortals probably would benefit from slower setup. Not as fun tho.

There are also clipper cc which have a bit carbon in it. Maybe you can look at that one Aswell.

thanks Lula,

I play close to table, and initiate with my backhand a lot. Middle of the road, local league level.

Clipper CR felt plenty fast enough for me, so I probably dont need any carbon in my blade.

I guess my question then becomes, " is there any obvious downside to Clipper wood (original)"?

It will be much appreciated if anyone can share their experience with the blade. Again, clipper wood, the original version.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
You might want to take a look at:

Stiga Clipper 75 Anniversary edition
Stiga Clipper CC

both are amazing in control and feel, especially the anniversary edition, has a nice feel.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

thanks chintanmashroo,

I have been wondering about the 75 anniversary version. Is it better wood selection do you think? Just how much better does it play compare to regular clippers do you think?
It is a little pricy and there is not a lot of information about it anywhere.

Also, doesnt CC feel fairly fast? I am worried I may not be able to control it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi virtuososiu,

I've had both the clipper wood and Cr. I think my clipper wood was of a vintage variety and thinner than the cr, maybe modern varieties are the same thickeness. All else equal, thicker = faster.

If you want a cheaper while at the same time better made alternative, you can look into the Andro Timber 7 OFF and OFF/S or older CS7 Tour (same design). The OFF is around 6.5mm thick and approximates my old clipper wood, while the OFF/S was 7mm about the same, maybe a little stiffer than the CR. Keep in mind that the Andros have very light if not hollowed handles, for penhold, that doesn't make a difference, but see if you mind that yourself.

You can always varnish the surface yourself to replicate the CR. I don't think the "special hardening" made much difference to a regular varnished blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hi virtuososiu,

I've had both the clipper wood and Cr. I think my clipper wood was of a vintage variety and thinner than the cr, maybe modern varieties are the same thickeness. All else equal, thicker = faster.

If you want a cheaper while at the same time better made alternative, you can look into the Andro Timber 7 OFF and OFF/S or older CS7 Tour (same design). The OFF is around 6.5mm thick and approximates my old clipper wood, while the OFF/S was 7mm about the same, maybe a little stiffer than the CR. Keep in mind that the Andros have very light if not hollowed handles, for penhold, that doesn't make a difference, but see if you mind that yourself.

You can always varnish the surface yourself to replicate the CR. I don't think the "special hardening" made much difference to a regular varnished blade.
Hi lasta,

Thanks for sharing.
I dont mind the price of Stiga Clippers, as long as its of good quality.
Do Andro blades have good feel/touch like stiga ones?
Cause I find myself missing the feel I got from the clipper cr that I had. I am not sure if it is the "stiga" feel, or was it just the combination of control and speed offered by that blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
You might consider Donic Dyjas. Same composition as clipper but thinner (and with bigger handle than those new Stiga stuff)
Hi kuba Hajto

Thanks for sharing.

I have actualy had two Donic blades before. One was Dimi No.1 (non senso), the other was a Dimitrj V1 (7 ply wood). Both had FL handles that are too slim for my liking... Does Dyjas have a wider handle?

One of the reasons I buy Stiga & Nittaku is because they offer thick handles.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Hi kuba Hajto

Thanks for sharing.

I have actualy had two Donic blades before. One was Dimi No.1 (non senso), the other was a Dimitrj V1 (7 ply wood). Both had FL handles that are too slim for my liking... Does Dyjas have a wider handle?

I'll post dimensions of mine in a sec.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi lasta,

Thanks for sharing.
I dont mind the price of Stiga Clippers, as long as its of good quality.
Do Andro blades have good feel/touch like stiga ones?
Cause I find myself missing the feel I got from the clipper cr that I had. I am not sure if it is the "stiga" feel, or was it just the combination of control and speed offered by that blade.

What's the specs of your Stiga? dimension, thickness, handle variety.

I thick physical characteristics makes a bigger difference than brand feel. My Varnished Timber 7 OFF/S feels a little stiffer than the CR, but I don't think the difference was huge. The Andro blades have much better material quality and QC (sanded edges and handle). My Timber 7 OFF/S and CS7 tour were both the same weight, thickness, and measurement frequency, maybe I was lucky, but I've never seen that kind of consistency with any other blade..

I can't compare handle thickness as I only had one Andro blade in shakehand (CS7 Velocity), felt beefy enough.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Maybe I'm over-complicating things.

If you don't enjoy trying equipment, just get another Clipper CR close in weight thickness and handle as your old one. Safest bet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
What's the specs of your Stiga? dimension, thickness, handle variety.

I thick physical characteristics makes a bigger difference than brand feel. My Varnished Timber 7 OFF/S feels a little stiffer than the CR, but I don't think the difference was huge. The Andro blades have much better material quality and QC (sanded edges and handle). My Timber 7 OFF/S and CS7 tour were both the same weight, thickness, and measurement frequency, maybe I was lucky, but I've never seen that kind of consistency with any other blade..

I can't compare handle thickness as I only had one Andro blade in shakehand (CS7 Velocity), felt beefy enough.

I dont have it anymore, so i cant really measure. But I did measure its thickness, it was around 6.6-6.7 mm I think.

Also, if it helps, it was purchased 3 years ago from TT11. So its probably not one of those old ones from years ago.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Hi kuba Hajto

Thanks for sharing.

I should have held it a bit different to get better results, but this should be good enough. On the bottom of the handle I peeled of the wrap. On the top of the handle I measured where there is no handle wrap only electrical tape. Results should be good enough for comparison sake. Handle is one of the beefiest in my collection at the moment. Thickness of mine is 6.49mm

View attachment 21794
View attachment 21795
View attachment 21796
View attachment 21797

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_132225__01.jpg
    IMG_20200809_132225__01.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
If you want a high quality Clippee CR, then buy one from China or Japan. Those have a serial number and hologram sticker and are of higher quality. Unfortunately the price is also higher.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
If you want a high quality Clippee CR, then buy one from China or Japan. Those have a serial number and hologram sticker and are of higher quality. Unfortunately the price is also higher.
Really? I mean, Japan, yes I can understand. But China?

I am Hong Kong Chinese myself, didnt expect that.

Are they better build quality (finish)? or do you mean better play quality (actual play quality) as well?

Oh and can you recommend a website/store for japanese models?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I should have held it a bit different to get better results, but this should be good enough. On the bottom of the handle I peeled of the wrap. On the top of the handle I measured where there is no handle wrap only electrical tape. Results should be good enough for comparison sake. Handle is one of the beefiest in my collection at the moment. Thickness of mine is 6.49mm

View attachment 21794
View attachment 21795
View attachment 21796
View attachment 21797

Appreciate the pictures. However I had tried (nittaku) gripe tapes before... having some tapes in my hand just didnt feel right.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Appreciate the pictures. However I had tried (nittaku) gripe tapes before... having some tapes in my hand just didnt feel right.

I didn't try to suggest using grip tape. I use it to not damage the handle itself. I've got sweaty hands problem. For me grip take is a must. As I said, I've made measurements in a way that grip tape did not influence results.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I dont have it anymore, so i cant really measure. But I did measure its thickness, it was around 6.6-6.7 mm I think.

Also, if it helps, it was purchased 3 years ago from TT11. So its probably not one of those old ones from years ago.

I think if you ask the shop for a ~90g, 6.6-6.7mm non WRB clipper CR, it should be pretty balanced safe choice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Really? I mean, Japan, yes I can understand. But China?

I am Hong Kong Chinese myself, didnt expect that.

Are they better build quality (finish)? or do you mean better play quality (actual play quality) as well?

Oh and can you recommend a website/store for japanese models?

China has the best players in the world with the biggest market of professionals. If you don't sell the best to the Chinese professional market, then it won't sell. I know that for the wide range of professional players in China, they first get the 'Best quality' blades, and then they choose their blade from that special selection. Most people (especially the Chinese pro players) won't buy low/lower quality stuff, it's common sense.

As for tt online shops in Japan, I think iruiru is good but I also heard that ttjapan is good with a bigger set of goods.

For OP: I think you can just stick to the CR, I've tried both versions and I don't think that the difference is huge. Unless you use pips out rubber, I think the CR is probably the better of the two because of the added speed.
I have also heard the idea that newer blades aren't as good as before, but what can you do? If you can pick and choose at a shop, that would be ideal.

Last edited: