Xiom Omega 7 China Ying and Butterfly Dignics 09c Comparison Test

XIOM OMEGA 7 CHINA YING VERSUS BUTTERFLY DIGNICS 09C

bXCoy95.jpg

23qJSjC.jpg

Yo5TAKJ.jpg

4Qvtuxv.jpg

I thought I was going crazy buying the Butterfly Dignics 09c just to test it side by side with the Xiom Omega 7 China Ying but here I am posting this review. I will be comparing these 2 with other rubbers as I go along with the review. I only got to have the red sheet because the black sheets were out of stock from the store I bought the D09c. Man, the D09c’s price is very steep because it is already a sixth of my monthly salary but hey I’ll just sell it back after the test, LOL. I still have my Xiom Omega 7 China Ying which is almost new since I have used it very less compared to my red sheet in the past 3 months. To be fair, I would compare their characteristics and capabilities and it is for the reader to judge which one suits you. Take it with a grain of salt since I am already accustomed to the Xiom O7c Ying compared to the Butterfly Dignics 09c which I have only used on a limited time of 10 hrs in a span of 5 days of testing.
I did have a hard time testing both rubbers since they have similar characteristics but I will try my best to give you detailed analyses on both rubbers.

These are the parameters that I have checked during the test:

Topsheet & Sponge

Both the Dignics 09c and Xiom Omega 7 China Ying have very short pip structures and closely aligned pips. The topsheet thickness seem to look almost the same but I was not able to measure them since this needed a better measuring instrument. Both almost have a similar design wherein for harder rubbers short pip topsheet structure with tacky characteristics like the Hurricane 3. I have seen these also on other brands for rubbers 50 degrees and up. Both are on the heavy side as my Dignics 09c red is 75 grams uncut while the Omega 7 China Ying has 72 grams uncut weight. Both are at 2.1mm sponge thickness. The whole setup was very heavy. I used the Xiom 36.5 ALX blade which is similar to the Butterfly Viscaria which is 85 grams. The total weight is 198 grams. For the tackiness of the topsheets, the black O7c Ying was slightly more tacky than the D09c red. The D09c was covered with an adhesive topsheet and I suspected that it slightly contributed to the tackiness of the sheet so I had to clean it with a sponge before playing. The tackiness slightly reduced. I am not sure about the black D09c’s tackiness since I need to see for myself and check an available sheet but I was told that the tackiness of the 2 sheets are not that big of a difference. For the sponge hardness, the O7c Ying seems a bit harder when I pressed both topsheets against my fingers. The D09c has a sponge hardness of 44 degrees and if I am right it is about 56 or 57 degrees in the ESN scale. The O7c Ying has a 60 degree sponge.

Speed

I bounced the 2 rubbers after I cleaned them with a wet sponge and dried them out properly. On a bounce test while holding the racket, the Xiom Omega 7 China Ying has a somewhat higher bounce than the D09c which is about 5-6 inches of ball bounce on the O7c Ying and 4-5 inches for the D09c. I was expecting the Dignics 09c red to be much more bouncy than the Xiom rubber but I was wrong because it was clearly slower on medium power applied compared to the O7c. I can clearly say that the Dignics 05 rubber which I had a year ago was much more bouncy and lively than the 09c version. I would say the very hard sponge and slightly tacky sheet contributed to the lesser speed. Even the Xiom O7c Ying is also slower than Dignics 05. The harder and almost non-porous sponges for both rubbers seem to need a bit more effort to produce more speed. Although, Butterfly rates the Dignics 09c as having the same speed with Tenergy 05, there are times the T05 seems more bouncy but on a very small difference. For Flat drives, the D09c was easier to use despite being slightly slower than O7c Ying.

Service, Receiving Serves & Short Strokes

I tested the 2 rubbers mostly using underspin serves and both are almost equal in terms of spin generation in this area. For drop shots, both rubbers are really good stopping the ball almost near the net when doing drop shots against underspin serves and pushes. Both almost have the control of Hurricane 3 and I can say these 2 rubbers have the “gears” from very slow to very fast speed on shots depending on what you needed it to do. For spin sensitivity, this is where the 2 differ. The Butterfly Dignics 09c was less spin sensitive than the Xiom Omega 7 China Ying. The D09c was a bit better in handling incoming spinny serves or returns as the topsheet have a lesser amount of tackiness but both rubbers can be adjusted to the user’s needs. For long spinny underspin pushes, the Omega 7 China Ying had a slightly more spinny and sharper trajectory. Again, it is probably because I am already used to the O7C rubber than the D09c. For blocking against topspin attacks, both have minor differences but the Dignics 09c was easier to block with and this is both on passive and active blocking against spinny attacks. Also, punch-blocking has more with D09c.

Looping, Opening Loops, Counter Looping away from the table and Spin Driving

Now these are the areas that the 2 rubbers will have noticeable differences. I opted to specify the strokes that they are good at rather than saying which is better overall since it would be too general. First, for the amount of spin, I struggled with the Dignics 09c for 3 days and thinking if there is anything wrong with my stroke because I seem to have lesser amount of spin on loops using it. While both rubbers are comfortable with the way you can use a Hurricane 3, I had less amount of spin compared to the Xiom Omega 7 China Ying. I thought partly to be blamed is that I have been using the O7c Ying for 3 months while the D09c was only used for 5 days at about 2 hours each day due to Covid. I played with 3 of my playmates to test the rubbers fully and compare the spin but all of them say that the Omega 7 China Ying has a noticeable greater spin. I even asked a friend who is an elite level player to test both rubbers without me telling him the characteristics of both rubbers and he told me that he felt the Dignics 09c needs more effort to spin compared to the Dignics 05 he tested with me. I asked him to use the 2 rubbers against me blocking his shots and the difference is really obvious. For opening loops, his loops with the Omega 7c Ying was harder to block against. Both rubbers when you are blocking against them have a tendency to hit the net sometimes and against the O7c Ying, there are more balls going long on the table due to its spin and speed. That friend of mine who tested both rubbers is very comfortable using Hurricane 3 as he has used H3 and other Chinese rubbers in the past. He is using full swings on opening loops against underspin and we also tested the loops on late contact or when the ball begins to come down with thinner sponge compression or engagement and it still has lesser spin than the O7c Ying. I was curious with the Yasaka Rakza Z EH on such stroke and timing and we tested it also, the Yasaka rubber had the highest arc when looping the ball at that timing and stroke, The D09c has the lowest arc and lesser amount of spin while the O7c is in between. Of the 3 rubbers mentioned above, the Yasaka Rakza Z EH is the easiest to produce spin. For spin drives, I realized that the Dignics 09c was much better and easier to use and I believe this is its biggest strength. The 2 rubbers differ in approaches wherein the Xiom Omega 7c Ying is speed+spin while Dignics 09c is more on Speed+handling but lesser spin. Either of the 2 rubbers’ strengths combine to vicious incoming attacks with each having different emphasis. The D09c was easier and better at spin drives. For the test, I determined that the better stroke and contact for the D09c is more on sponge compression with slight brush contact while the O7c Ying is more on brush contact with some sponge engagement. Note that on higher levels of play, sponge engagement is greatly increase on stronger shots but on amateur levels this is the thing that usually happens for both rubbers. I would say D09c is like a machine gun wherein you will be annihilated because of the barrage of shots fired. When using the D09c, the opening loops against underspin were already good but not as overwhelming as blocking against the O7c Ying but when you do follow up counter loops against blocks or topspins, the D09c was really good! Due to the easier handling ability of the D09c, the follow up attacks were really amazing. It may not be as spinny as O7c Ying but it does the job of attacking to an excellent level. The O7c Ying can do this too but needs a bit more effort and control. Now for spinny sidespin counterloops or just side spin loop opening on late timing or when the ball goes down, the Omega 7c Ying was the better rubber. You can picture out the way Xu Xin loops the ball with heavy sidespin away from the table on a much lesser level that is what the O7c Ying can do better than the D09c. For opening sidespin loops, the O7c Ying was just harder to block against and the balls when blocked has a higher arc when it comes back to the attacker. For the D09c, blocking sidespin loops with it was not as hard.

User friendliness

Both rubbers are not for the average Joe and as I have said, the Dignics 05 is an easier rubber to spin and control than these 2. Both require a very high level to use fully but when used by an elite level of player these rubbers are very threatening in matches. I can use the Dignics 09c on my backhand only as it is a better backhand rubber because of being less tackier and less spin sensitive and the Omega 7 China Ying for the forehand because I am used to it but both not to their fullest potential. For the price, the Omega 7 China Ying is 65-70usd which is already bit pricey for an ESN rubber but the 98 to 100usd price for the Dignics 09c was just too much for my pocket to handle and I will just sell it after the test to recover some of the funds spent and maybe buy the Butterfly Albiss for a test.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
I was curious with the Yasaka Rakza Z EH on such stroke and timing and we tested it also, the Yasaka rubber had the highest arc when looping the ball at that timing and stroke, The D09c has the lowest arc and lesser amount of spin while the D09c is in between.

Too many D09C ;)

Has the D09C a lower arc and lesser spin than the Z EH and the O7CY is in between or is it the O7CY with the lowest arc and spin?

Too many D09C ;)

Has the D09C a lower arc and lesser spin than the Z EH and the O7CY is in between or is it the O7CY with the lowest arc and spin?

Sorry just woke up as I was writing this at about 2am. The 07c is in between arc and ease of spin.

Reactions: ttarc
Please take note that the pic of O7c Ying that says max but the samples sent to me were 2.1mm. This was sent when the rubbers were not released yet but i asked what is the max thickness at tha time and was told it is 2.1mm. Now they have 2.1mm and max for Ying

How does the Omega 7 Asia compare to these in terms of spin, spin sensitivity, and linearity?
O7C greater spin. for control and less spin sensitivity, O7A.

Last edited:
So which rubber in general is closest to Hurricane 3 neo, say in 40 degree provincial blue sponge? or just H3 neo provincial if you haven't tried that version.

Actually none, the Xiom Tau II is the one that was designed to be a Hurricane 3 like rubber but a bit faster.

Reactions: sampletext
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
O7C greater spin, control and less spin sensitivoty for O7A.

I'm not quite sure I understand. You're saying that 07C has greater spin and control, but 07A has less spin sensitivity?
Edit: Nevermind, I suppose that has to be what you're saying. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure I understand. You're saying that 07C has greater spin and control, but 07A has less spin sensitivity?

O7C has greater spin, for O7A has greater control and less spin sensitivity.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
Oh ok lol thanks, I read that over and over again trying to decipher.

Can you please compare these properties to 09C also?

Last edited:
Oh ok lol thanks, I read that over and over again trying to decipher.

Can you please compare these properties to 09C also?

I think i placed that in my review already O7c Ying has more spin but D09c has lesser spin sensitivity and better control or handling.

Hello, :)

does the O7c Ying feel dead without boosting like the Vega China VM does? And does it takt considerable force to engage the sponge to create fast loops? Also, how does the Guang compare in these regards?
No it does not feel dead. It is slightly faster than D09c even. Alsp, the Vega China felt a little slower due to its tackiness. If you are used to H3 boosted, that is how you will feel with both O7c but significantly faster. Guang is easoer to handle due to a softer sponge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glen20