Holding Back

This user has no status.
So I'm a 1800 rated player and the club i am currently playing at due to Covid-19 only has 1500s or below. I do play matches, but win easily 3-0 with points like 11- <7. It's not that fun. So I just ask if they want to practice. Obviously they do, but when we practice I can give them drills. They get tired quick. Later I loop and they can't block whatsoever.
So my question is should I hold back and let them have somewhat of a chance?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I could... and am usually VERY inclined to say something smart-azz like... give them a govt mandatory DNA-Altering vaccine that will cause them to be immune to bad blocking...

... but for real, the best thing I can practically say is to teach those 1500 level players how to block. From your accumulated empirical evidence, this would seem pretty far fetched... but it really isn't.

When I was 1500 level, I could block real good, except for heavy slow, then I learned that soon enough when someone showed me how.

From my empirical evidence, it IS POSSIBLE for that level of player to learn.

The key is getting to the ball early (better with a small step - one step footwork) taking ball off the bounce with a loose grip, looser than one would think is needed...

... when a player is this close, he or she USUALLY can unconsciously see the ball better and make instinctive bat angle adjustments...

... also... these adjustments are not needed as much if the impact is soon after the bounce, like a few inches... the difference in bat angle is not as much at his distance... if blocking a foot or more... then there are HUGE differences in bat angle and touch required.

... that is why I say to a lot of adult players to just get the bat to the ball with a loose grip, even if they need to reach a bit (but much better to use one step footwork)... it will be stable enough to get the ball back with directional control.

... for the players who have extreme slow loop heavy spin, they can learn to close the bat a little more taking the ball real early... it is amazing how one can control those balls.

Just having that one skill of blocking makes a 1500 level player SO USEFUL to advanced players in hte club.

I always advocate for adult learners (who are usually in this 1500 USATT range or near) for them to learn how to block well with directional control. This puts them in a position to be much more welcome in a club with better players just about anywhere and be able to fruitfully participate with those players.

Of course, every better player should be willing to spend time with lower skilled players... but Tim honestly and correctly articulates the view why more advanced players will not spend time on the table with lower skilled players... they are not doing anything for the better player.

Personally, I have had a lot of this... and my perosnal experience has been to allocate more time with this crowd teaching... It is time well spent... many get better in one or more aspects...and I learn how to be a better coach.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Once these players get good at blocking in practive, it is time to give them reps in blocking under the pressure of a match.

EVEN IF all the player is doing is just getting a bat to the ball right off the bounce... very often, ball comes back... even if all they practice in the match is that.. and even if they really suck at it at first, keep giving them the business and keep advocating to keep cool and just get the bat to the ball with very loose grip... eventually, this will become a well trained reactionary drill... and their performance and level will be increased...

... but yeah, it takes time and some willingness of that crowd... some wan tit and will learn... some just want to play and damn any improvement. Both are fine, but you know where I would spend my attention.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Try this:

Work on the technique. Almost all strokes can be done slower.

Make the exercise as hard as possible for you and as easy as as possible for them, like you get the ball everywhere and you play only forehand or similar and they gEat the ball on one spot.

Play games but focus on developing something.

Play multi ball or semi-balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hi Lula,

What's semi-balls?

Regards

Try this:

Work on the technique. Almost all strokes can be done slower.

Make the exercise as hard as possible for you and as easy as as possible for them, like you get the ball everywhere and you play only forehand or similar and they gEat the ball on one spot.

Play games but focus on developing something.

Play multi ball or semi-balls.