Looking for off-/all+ suggestions, slower viscaria alternative

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
I've been browsing the internet all summer looking for an "ultimate" fit for me. And I've come to the conclusion of asking for suggestions here.

Playing style:
Right handed.
Strong BH, looks to challenge BH-BH always, and plays BH in 60-70% of the table.
Tries to loop with lot of spin, natural big swing that I've been strugling to shorten.
Looks for short points, usually try to outplay my opponent during 3rd, 5th och 7th ball. If failure, I often fall back from the table and looks for a counter loop, push or smash to surprise my oppponent.
Most similar pro: Darko Jorgic. But I take a lot of inspiration from Zhang Jike in FH technique and serve returns.

Rubbers:
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: Dignics 80, might try Dignics 09c or Rakza Z for increased spin.

Tested blades:
Viscaria (currently), great but too generally too fast.
Primorac: Great controll, too slow
Andro Ligna off+: Too slow honestly, disliked the handle
Garaydia ALC: Too fast, too bouncy. Vicsaria has more control.

My biggest issue is that I cannot force the ball down with Viscaria close to the table. Not enough of arc and too high trajectory. 2-4 meters away, no issue at all.

I am looking for a blade with many gears. Handle similar to Visciaria (straight). A little bit slower but with a lot of power with a big swing. I really like the wood feeling of Ligna off+, but it is so slow that I cannot kill the points unless I boost a lot, and that is not worth it.

Maybe some innerforce carbon blade, but I think it is likeley all form av composite blades are too fast for my big fh swing. So maybe some powerful all wood would be good for me? I like the limba feel of Primorac. But Koto with Viscaria is fine as well. I think I can adapt either way, but I prefer the soft feeling with more dwell that limba wood gives you. I believe the thicker spruce used by Soulspin in Andro Ligna series is similar in feeling to something like hinoki (that Garaydia uses), and I really liked the short play with that wood. Many gears on the slower side, just missing that little kick you need on full power swings.

I've been thinking about Hurriane Long 3, being 7-ply all wood. Should be similar to Primorac but faster? But is it too fast, faster than Viscaria? Is there similar blades with same composition but cheaper? HL3 straight is out of stock from tabletennis11 so might not be an option for mer none the less. I am open for any suggestion at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
For the price of a Butterfly Viscaria you can go e.g. to princett.com (2-3 months shipping to the USA) and get 5-10 blades of high quality (also megaspin.net for faster shipping). You can then play a different blade every practice (which is what I do) which sharpens your adaptation skills. I definitely recommend the Sanwei Fextra (7 layers, 2x limba / side, 3x ayous), it is a little faster than my Clipper clone (Yinhe Purple Dragon 437). I am probably not good enough yet to appreciate the difference between that and a $200 blade, but I was really positively surprised by the quality of the Yinhe & Sanwei blades. There is some description at https://www.spinfactory.de/ about some of the Sanwei & Yinhe blades. And yes, the irony of the first two letters of my forum handle is not lost on me ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Try Innerforce ALC or a Clipper.
Both are a touch softer so it's easier to generate spin. But those are still demanding blades. Hard to tell without seeing you play. Maybe you need an even slower blade.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says [IMG]
HL3 is much slower compared to Viscaria, HL5 might be a better fit. Rather thin handle, which not everyone likes.
Ligna Off+ is not a slow blade. As it's all wood, it feels different then Viscaria and I think you miss the sharpness of the Arylate in the Ligna. So it might feel for you, that it's not fast enough.

If you like the feeling of a wooden blade, but still want some sharpness, you could consider "innerforce" kinda blades. If you want to stay with BTY blades, consider the Apolonia ZLC. Construction: Limba, Limba, ZLC, Ayous, Limba, Limba. It has that wooden feeling, but also that sharpness when you hit full swing.
Too bad the Apolonia ZLC is way overprices at 250 EUR (at least in my country). However there are lots of alternatives from other brands or perhaps you can order a custom built at one of our blade builders on this forum. Definitely worth checking their topics here.

This user has no status.
I went from a Viscaria like blade to the Harimoto ALC and the control has gone up quite a bit. With my backhand I feel like I can't miss even far behind the table. I think we have the same style. If you can test one definitely do. On forehand I had to adjust a little but it feels great now too. You'll just lose the top end. The rest is still there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
DHS 301? Composition similar to Viscaria, albeit prolly slower (had played with 301 didn't with Viscaria). It also uses arylate carbon, it also has moto top ply, it has carbon near the middle so it is slower on lower impacts. I am not saying this is solution to all your problems, but it might be candidate worth consideration. Also Yinhe 970XXA may be worth considering, but it's hard to find information.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Well I can add a selection of blades you might look at, because I am looking for something similar [emoji28]
Here ar a few of my own list:
Sanwei F3 Pro (or the new one Paramid or so)
Donic Esprit
Gewo Force ARC
Victas ZX Gear Fibre
Andro Treiber CI

It is after all a proven build [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I think a few of us are underestimating the speed of the blades to which we refer.

The OP has a viscaria but wants something in the OFF-/ALL+ range. I honestly think you're only going to find that in 5 or 7 ply wood, but since you've found the OFF+ too slow for some reason, I think it leaves you with ONE or TWO items in the entire market...

I believe (may be wrong) that either Joola or Donic sells a textillum fibre blade that is at ALL+ speed, may be that's where you can start your search.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Yeah. I think, if Viscaria is too fast, and a blade just slightly slower than Viscaria is too slow, the issue may be technique and training rather than equipment.

Or maybe his technique is so profound and deep set that only a change in gear would fix, haha.

Try a lighter Viscaria. There can be a big difference between a low 80g and high 90s version of the same blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Or maybe his technique is so profound and deep set that only a change in gear would fix, haha.

Try a lighter Viscaria. There can be a big difference between a low 80g and high 90s version of the same blade.
I think it is the best answer

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
says Footwork footwork footwork

This! Or, have you ever tried a Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner? Maybe the Limba outer has a little more grab and helps create a bit more safety for you. I guess it really all depends on your technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: