How does the USATT handle ratings restricted tournaments?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
I come from a chess background, and it always a challenge for organizers to be fair when running sanctioned United States Chess Federation ratings restricted tournaments. Typically, unrated players or players without a minimum number of rated games are ineligible to play in non-open events. At the director’s discretion, foreign players without USCF ratings can play, if their non-US numeric rating converts into the eligible class.

I’m curious as to how the USATT handles these types of matters, especially since it is my understanding that world rankings and other country’s ranking systems don’t use the ELO rating systems or have equivalent numerical values. If an organizer runs a prize money under 2350 section, are the qualifications firm, or can some foreign player without a USATT rating play, provided it is commonly accepted that his classification of level in his country or club is the equivalent of under 2350? For USATT members, are unrated players and players without a minimum number of rated matches ineligible to play in class events?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
By default, unrated players are not supposed to advance in rated events past group stage (except the OPEN).

However, A tourney director MAY make an estimate of the rating, believe his chicken and beer buddy's estimate, or believe the internet as much as they want and allow player to advance if the player qualifies to advance past group stage. (Assuming RR qual groups)

Reactions: Superdragon