Boosted rubber ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Hello,

I just saw the video below and I am a little bit confused.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF1wc8rG0R4

Are these guys using booster or not? If they do not use the booster, what kind of treatment has been applied to their rubbers?
If they are using booster, how they are using it since it is illegal as far as I know? Are they using VOC-free booster or speed glue? Are these substances allowed by ITTF?
Are they using booster because only ITTF has banned it and they are not competing in an ITTF event?
It is almost impossible to get that spring effect from a factory rubber / non-tuned rubber / untreated rubber. Probably you can get something very similar by using a tensor rubber on an OFF+ blade but even if you have such a setup you still cannot get that ridiculous amount of speed and spin.

There are some exchanges in the match where they miss the ball and that ball goes like a bullet towards the mantle.
At least on the forehand side where they have the rubber with the blue sponge which is probably DHS National Hurricane 3 / the NEO version of it, which non-tuned is hard as concrete, it is impossible to generate that spin/speed even if you kill the shot every single time which they don`t do every time; sometimes they just perform a block and the ball bounces back to their opponent like a rocket.

BR.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Hate to bring it to you. Booster is illegal only if it is detected. There are rumors that CNT has it's own test machines and test their rackets before they do actual test by ittf on tournament. They do allow some VOC. I don't know how much exactly, Chinese website say "0.5" without specifying units... You can do your own research on this topic.

TL;DR: ITTF is ok with you boosting as long as you don't get caught.

This user has no status.
Only Hurricane 3 and Skyline are needed to be boosted by oil such as black oil by Haifu.

The reason why ITTF is allowing them is because most of the professional rubbers are boosted/tensioned by oil by the factories before selling.

For example, butterfly Tenergy and tihbar exvolution series are boosted too, therefore if you played a rubber for 6 months, the size of the rubber would be smaller than your blade, and the tension of the rubber was lost.

And I don't recommend to boost a Hurricane 3 or Skyline because the market one and the national one are totally different things. The market one is just Pigskin.
8bf1ca3ddd69c9ee4579caac0198a92b.jpg
7df96b3dfc10b9d686daaffeaf84a03f.jpg

Sent from my VCE-L22 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Hate to bring it to you. Booster is illegal only if it is detected. There are rumors that CNT has it's own test machines and test their rackets before they do actual test by ittf on tournament. They do allow some VOC. I don't know how much exactly, Chinese website say "0.5" without specifying units... You can do your own research on this topic.

TL;DR: ITTF is ok with you boosting as long as you don't get caught.

Actually there are some loopholes in the official ITTF rules besides factory-boosting...
Ultimately ITTF would need to take (destructively) samples of each rubber and blade and use e.g. gas chromatography and x-ray to test them. But even if they did have reference values and tolerances from each manufacturer it would be impossible to tell in some cases if one of these parameters is out of the allowed range because of the player or because of some manufacturing/quality control issue.
If the ITTF wants to continue that race they will lose or they resort to something like a unified range of blades and rubbers that everyone has to use/assemble under the supervision of an umpire or something like that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Even if racket is assembled near in the presence of the umpire some rubbers come precurrled. How would do they then know whether it's boosted or factory.

Wysłane z mojego ONEPLUS A6013 przy użyciu Tapatalka

They would have to provide factory packaged rubbers and blades. Packages are then opened in the presence of an umpire and so on. They would even have to closely watch how a rubber is glued onto a blade otherwise one could heavily stretch it or use more glue layers than another player...

Reactions: 48539260
says Not for sale, I liked it actually
says Not for sale, I liked it actually
May 2018
"And I don't recommend to boost a Hurricane 3 or Skyline because the market one and the national one are totally different things. The market one is just Pigskin."

I think there's really a need to have a rating attach to each username so people can weigh in on credibility when forum members spew opinions like that.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
"And I don't recommend to boost a Hurricane 3 or Skyline because the market one and the national one are totally different things. The market one is just Pigskin."

I think there's really a need to have a rating attach to each username so people can weigh in on credibility when forum members spew opinions like that.

I don't disagree. But some of that gets taken care of with # of posts and # of times the person says something that people hit the like button on. It is not perfect. You still need to use your own judgement. I can tell you know what you are talking about even if, there are times when your attitude could be better. The technical stuff about TT is always spot on. The personal stuff about humans, that could use some work. :)

People can figure these things out. But, it is true, not always. Which is why I would call someone out for claiming he could hit harder than Hayata while being unwilling to show footage of his TT skills. (Clearly not you, just an example: you showed footage in one of your first posts; and, as far as TT technical info, whether on play or equipment, I have not heard anything I disagree with). :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019

Doesn't really work when the majority of the forum does not have a US rating. That being said, after reading certain user's posts a few times you can get an idea of who does and doesn't know what they are talking about. When you see someone posting blatantly wrong stuff, you can point it out, and some people may take in the new information but some people might like to stay convinced they know everything when they clearly don't.

Funny enough, oftentimes the better players will know less about the minor details of equipment, because they generally don't worry about those things in the same way that EJs do.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Only Hurricane 3 and Skyline are needed to be boosted by oil such as black oil by Haifu.

The reason why ITTF is allowing them is because most of the professional rubbers are boosted/tensioned by oil by the factories before selling.

For example, butterfly Tenergy and tihbar exvolution series are boosted too, therefore if you played a rubber for 6 months, the size of the rubber would be smaller than your blade, and the tension of the rubber was lost.

And I don't recommend to boost a Hurricane 3 or Skyline because the market one and the national one are totally different things. The market one is just Pigskin.

Sent from my VCE-L22 using Tapatalk

"Needing to be boosted" is subjective. Pretty much every pro player boosts, not just the ones using Chinese rubbers. It's not just factory boosted. Players still boost the sheets before using it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
"Needing to be boosted" is subjective. Pretty much every pro player boosts, not just the ones using Chinese rubbers. It's not just factory boosted. Players still boost the sheets before using it.

I kinda agree. But I think that for us mere mortals boosting makes sense mostly for Chinese rubbers. Breaking in rubbers with hardness 39+ (from my experience) was noticeable harder than those boosted ones. Giving a fresh rubber even a coat of baby oil made it easier to use initially (despite speed increase being negligible) (tested on Jupiter 2s and 729 Battle 2 prov).