How do you deal/adjust to very humid conditions?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Clean your rubber during the session every know and then. Do you best to keep your shoes as dry as possible. Grippy rubbers are not as much affected as tacky rubbers. But keeping both your shoes and venue floor dry is crucial. If power comes from the ground and you connection with the ground is crap, guess what your power is going to be.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have ended several training sessions this sommer due to much humidity so it makes it unplayable. A lot of shots go in the net or on my own side. Make my technique and confidence worse. Will start bringing a bath towel, several shirts so I can change after one hour, using bandana and two towel wrist things. Any more suggestions?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
MOG try white board crayon on the pimples.it is much worse for the pimples when humid than the inverted since the ball always go down a bit on the pimple rubber even in good conditions due to less grip than inverted. When humid the ball moves to much on the pimples rubber which make it suck. Crayon dust helps a bit to make the rubber playable.

Last edited:
Reactions: lasta and MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
No, i am serious. Try it. Makes a difference. Know others that do this aswell. Can imagine that Falck have done this since it was his old Coach that told me to Do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
MOG try white board crayon on the pimples.it is much worse for the pimples when humid than the inverted since the ball always go down a bit on the pimple rubber even in good conditions due to less grip than inverted. When humid the ball moves to much on the pimples rubber which make it suck. Crayon dust helps a bit to make the rubber playable.
How does it get pips better in warm conditions??? And does it work with middle pips also??+ How should it be done???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think the dust from the crayon is suppose to collect the moisture from the humidty. The trouble short pimple players get is that the ball sinks to much on the rubber. But middle pimple players proably want more effect since they are using middle pimples so Do not know If it is such a big problem for them? More humidty, less grip and more effect. But If you Feel the ball sinka to much on the rubber i think it can help.

Do not make the pimples better. Just not As useless in to humid conditions.

Reactions: MOG
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Well, the PLUS side is, that older LONG PIPS with very flexible pips will turn into frictionless LPs... there is a big chunk of older players I know who so want that...

How would ANTI perform? Slicker I would think... and some anti players like it slick... a few I know want a little friction for attack and control of spin deadening... so maybe a wash there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks Lula, it is tough! But I am not sure if your teasing me!!

;)

Ahaa maybe you meant because i will try to bring so much stuff to counter the humudity? Feel like i really need to do something. Sometimes it is only possible to train for one hour before the ball is wet alot of the times. Not fun to do the correct stroke and still hit my own side. I have noticed that it is often i and my training partner that have the biggest problem. Think it is due to me dripping alot of sweat everywhere.

So will try those things that i mentioned. Otherwise it is better to only train for one hour and stop and do something else. Pretty certain i become a worse player if i keep playing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I have come to realise recently that I really struggle to play well in humid conditions.

People always say it is the same for both players, but I do not adapt to the conditions well at all. Even when I am aware it is humid and try to change my game.

I think the biggest problem is two fold!

1. I think it makes serves harder to read as the spin does not bite as well on the table so you do not get the same signs to read.
2. Whilst I am not a massive spinner, I use the 'grip' of the rubber a lot and my fh rely's on the grip from the rubber for control.
3. It even seems to make my bh pimples inconsistent and useless.

I think I probably brush a lot in all my strokes.

So I have been playing very well last few weeks in training. Today I found it hard to spin my serves. My loops lacked both spin and length.
When i tried to play thicker and hit threw ball more I was just to easy to play.

I think that not realising conditions like these and the massive effect on my game has been one of the things that has contributed to my EJing over recent years.

I did not play well today, it is because my game is drastically effected by humidity and I could not find an effective way to play better.

But for once I am not going to buy a new blade or new rubber.

Two days ago in less humidity at a less humid venue I played as well as I probably ever have!

Humidity was 85% plus in general but probably higher as the venue I was at is renowned for high humidity.

With 85% humidity it's impossible to play. The more people in a room, the higher the humidity of the room, From my experience, if humidity rises above 58-60%, the ball is starting to "drop" in topspins.

The ONLY WAY to deal with humidity is a dehumidifier. In our club where I train we have 4 dehumidifiers that are working constantly 24/7.
Take my word for it: Buy a humidifier and you will never have to deal with humidity again.

Here is a list that you can consider:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/appliances/g27192069/best-dehumidifier/

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How many do you need with hall with around 20 tables?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Ahaa maybe you meant because i will try to bring so much stuff to counter the humudity? Feel like i really need to do something. Sometimes it is only possible to train for one hour before the ball is wet alot of the times. Not fun to do the correct stroke and still hit my own side. I have noticed that it is often i and my training partner that have the biggest problem. Think it is due to me dripping alot of sweat everywhere.

So will try those things that i mentioned. Otherwise it is better to only train for one hour and stop and do something else. Pretty certain i become a worse player if i keep playing.

You ought to take a long trip to Korea in the Summer... so damn humid... Sweden has nothng on Korean humidity... problems even more magnified...

... but the flip side of it is... that the chicken and beer go down right good after some hours in the TT gym over there. You cannot beat the TT companions over there. Good people worth meeting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Our hall is in the same building as swimming pools and have not any real air condition so that probably have something to do with it. But I think if you have not have experienced any problem with humidity you have been lucky with the conditions or you need to train much harder so you start to sweat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
Our hall is in the same building as swimming pools and have not any real air condition so that probably have something to do with it. But I think if you have not have experienced any problem with humidity you have been lucky with the conditions or you need to train much harder so you start to sweat.

Sounds like you play at Vällingbyhallen

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Arkady,

we have a dehumidifier. Today I cleaned the table really well, turned on humidifier and left a door open, it made a big difference! Much better playing today, spinning again and pimple hitting like a demon!

Having a door or window always open so that the playing area is well ventilated, that's definitely a big help for keeping humidity low.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I can assure you it is actually a humidity problem!!

I think the thing you need for this issue is the Butterfly Mizutani Jun SZLC. That will take care handling the humidity. :) Maybe some Dignics to go with it. :)

Reactions: Baal
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I live in a semi-tropical swamp. Humidity is always a problem here but ironically worse in winter because no AC to dry out the air.

The only solution is to play a bit more safely, allow yourself a bit more margin for error. Even with that you will miss some weird shots you might normally make. It's just how it is. Accept this in advance and you won't get so frustrated. (Easier said than done, but still correct). In other words, humidity problems have mental solutions.

I don't believe any equipment choice will make much difference since yiu might gain something in one aspect but sacrifice in another.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
That is the issue and the reason why i stop playing. Of you Do the correct stroke i hit my own side almost half of the time. That makes my change my technique to something That is not so good to be able to get over the ball. It is like beginners That have rackets without grip. Maybe pushing or short short or serving could work well. Maybe counter aswell. Something where you hit slow like you say and Do not come over the ball.

I think the problem is that the ball and racket is always a bit wet. It drips alot when i train so think Maybe more Towels and more shirts could be the solution.

Reactions: yoass
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Can anyone explain why I can't return serve almost none at all when humid, but on the same night against same opponent when not humid I return 80-90% of the same serves!!
After humidifier being running and doors and windows open.

Yet I can't get any spin in humidity and every opponent just slaps everything I do for a winner.

I am div 1 players in my local leagues yet when humid I can lose to a div 3 player!!

I really do not understand what happens when it is humid.

I think the thing that really must happen is that it is humid on your side of the table, but not on the other side. So your opponent does not have to adjust to the humidity. But....you do. I think that must be it.

It is either that or, you should read what Lula already said. :)