Boosting on non Hurricane Rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Hi Everyone... I think this will be an interesting topic for many people here as many are rather confused by this boosting process unless you are a Hurricane rubber user. I do not like boosting but I am not against it since many people I know do that. I am against speed glue as it is unfair and I do see people doing that with their Hurricane rubber as their first coat. You can smell it when they whip out from their bag during tournament. Anyway, below was my experience from my experiment, which may be useful to you.

1) Can Tenergy, ESN rubber and Dignics be boosted?
The answer is a YES and you do not need to apply glue before you apply the booster.

2) How many layers of booster?
This depends on which rubber you are using and what's the hardness.
A)Tenergy rubber needs only one medium coat and one light coat. The second light coat can be applied after 12 hours and the rubber can be glued to paddle 36-48 hours from first application.
B) Dignics need 2 medium coat as the sponge is harder.
C) ESN rubber only need one light or medium coat as they are already heavily boosted.

3) How does a these non hurricane rubber perform after boosting?
Unlike speed glue, it does not really add more spin. What it does it it makes the rubber softer by 3-4 degree, very similar to FX version but with greater catapult speed. It will make give you more dwelling time which then help to increase spin IF you know how to brush correctly. The big difference is its bounciness after the dwell. You will have a faster loop. Most importantly, because of the longer dwell, the rubber is now fast and forgiving at the same time.

4) Does all style suit boosting?
Not when you do punch block. My style doesn't quite suit boosted rubber unless I am able to get a harder sponge rubber. Boosting soften the rubber and may have adverse effect if you need a harder sponge for your action. So, I can imagine boosting a T05 hard will be really nice for some people.

5) How long last this boosting last?
It lasts more than 6 weeks and I do not recommend another coast but you can. If you apply one more coat, the rubber will still be great to play with BUT it will be even softer.

6) Does boosting make you a better player even if you are lower rated and may not be able to handle higher speed?
Many people here say that boosting only works if you are already a good player. The truth is a speed glued rubber can make a 1800 player plays like a 2000 player. A boosted rubber can make a 1800 player plays like a 1900 player. Why? because yours hots will be more lethal to your opponents and your rubber is now forgiving to the incoming ball, making you more daring to try shots that you never know you can also do that.

7) Do I encourage it?
No but I see too many people doing that in tournament and it becomes pointless to resist.

8) Do I use it?
Not for my style and not my style YET :)

Reactions: SFF_lib