Adam Bobrow vs World no. 7 Lin Yun-Ju

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I'm fine with whatever Bobrow does - he already does some of that and he does a lot of that for ITTF already. Without any insight into who his sponsoring his trips or his channel, and since I am not paying for it, I just want to enjoy it. Even with Dan's reviews, he could also play those pros in any style he chooses, and the pros often choose to lob and fish to Dan.

I don't think you are being deliberately insidious, but you have to realize that Adam is trying to reach a broad audience, not just you, which he may be doing successfully or unsuccessfully. I think the way you are describing your requests does display a disdain for what he does, I would hope you would qualify your request in a way that makes it clear that what Adam does even without what you want him to do has value. I am sure you could easily post or email Adam and ask him whether it is possible for him to collect some information on the top players in interviews and post to his channel as part of his trips and see what he says. For me, just seeing the life and culture of where he is visiting is more than enough. And a day in the life of a pro is good for TT training heads like me and you, but it flies well over the heads of many people.

One of the reasons why I write about this is that the exhibition element of table tennis is no longer seriously promoted or developed. Channels that do work on this like Adam's and Pongfinity are the biggest TT ones on Youtube. Yet everyone continues to want to go back to TT that no one understands and doesn't realize that the sport will die if we don't popularize all its dimensions.

Fair. I think his videos, exhibition-y as they are, do a lot of good for making the sport more interesting to casual players or even non-players. The DudePerfect collaboration was big, and it does seem like he has a significant portion of his fan-base that are not serious players so he has to do his best to appeal to his audience. It is a win if it grows the sport even if it isn't the content that more, as you describe it "TT training heads" would value the most.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Would be interesting to see him play another 2200+ player. Have a hard time Seeing him being a top player in te most of the clubs. But i have almost never seen him play serious.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
He get good lenght at those! Seems like a nice guy too! Were people better at smashing before? Feel like players he play can not really smash, but maybe the length is so good. Even Hao Shuai did so much looping so he could not smash either.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019

Part 2. Anybody know the name of "the coach"/Yu Kayama's father?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
LYJ comes across as really humble. Love that he picked up Adam with his family!

https://www.cw.com.tw/article/5096812

https://www.gvm.com.tw/article/67361

• LYJ rejects the notion that the media/coaches/fellow players have given him of being a child prodigy: "I'm not a child prodigy, just a hard worker"
  • Despite being supremely naturally talented, he insists on practicing non-stop, often 6-7 hours per day. Has devised his own motivation techniques to maintain discipline and get through ruts/exhaustion. Has always been completely motivated by himself, there isn't much pressure coming from his parents nor coaches.
  • Pays special attention to the minor details and seemingly basic/routine parts of his training, has diligently followed all training plans day in and day out for years
  • Asked about his 18th birthday plans: "continue to practice as usual"
  • Was initially thought to not have a great body or physical condition for table tennis, but coaches' opinions changed immediately when seeing him pick up the paddle. Interesting contrast from the Chinese system where players are often funneled into table tennis schools based strictly on their body composition

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
https://www.cw.com.tw/article/5096812

https://www.gvm.com.tw/article/67361

• LYJ rejects the notion that the media/coaches/fellow players have given him of being a child prodigy: "I'm not a child prodigy, just a hard worker"
  • Despite being supremely naturally talented, he insists on practicing non-stop, often 6-7 hours per day. Has devised his own motivation techniques to maintain discipline and get through ruts/exhaustion. Has always been completely motivated by himself, there isn't much pressure coming from his parents nor coaches.
  • Pays special attention to the minor details and seemingly basic/routine parts of his training, has diligently followed all training plans day in and day out for years
  • Asked about his 18th birthday plans: "continue to practice as usual"
  • Was initially thought to not have a great body or physical condition for table tennis, but coaches' opinions changed immediately when seeing him pick up the paddle. Interesting contrast from the Chinese system where players are often funneled into table tennis schools based strictly on their body composition

Yeah I once told people that I felt he hits a higher quality ball than Lin Gaoyuan. You look at his build and you would never believe it but you can see the trouble his opponents have with his spin level. I also found the video excerpt of his weight training interesting. It looked like Fido Dido lifting buildings.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Yeah I once told people that I felt he hits a higher quality ball than Lin Gaoyuan. You look at his build and you would never believe it but you can see the trouble his opponents have with his spin level. I also found the video excerpt of his weight training interesting. It looked like Fido Dido lifting buildings.

Wouldn't surprise me. Having seen LGY and most of the CNT live at one point or another, his shot quality both in games and in training seemed significantly lower than that of most of the others. He is also a small and pretty thin guy, with a technique that IMO isn't optimized for power (that's not really how he plays).

Factor in LYJ's unpredictability that increases the functional speed of his shot (how much time the opponent has to read and react) and you very well may be right.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I Do not have so much opinion on Lin’s strokes but I think he moves very very well. Seem to always come correctly to the ball. Do not know if it have to do with footwork or sense of play? Probably both?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I Do not have so much opinion on Lin’s strokes but I think he moves very very well. Seem to always come correctly to the ball. Do not know if it have to do with footwork or sense of play? Probably both?

Which lefty and scrawny Lin are you talking about? :cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
how about the around the net roller with a hand switch at 4:15? :cool:

Everything was sick. It kinda reminded me of when I played Filip Szymanski in a handicap match at Westchester (I was spotted seven points). I won the first game 11-1. It was downhill from there. I couldn't put a ball past him and the ball kept thing back with crazy spin from incredible angles. The 4th game of this one was very impressive and shows how in reality Adam had zero control of the result.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Everything was sick. It kinda reminded me of when I played Filip Szymanski in a handicap match at Westchester (I was spotted seven points). I won the first game 11-1. It was downhill from there. I couldn't put a ball past him and the ball kept thing back with crazy spin from incredible angles. The 4th game of this one was very impressive and shows how in reality Adam had zero control of the result.

Yes, it was a great show. Zillion of rollers. And it seems that this time Adam put some more effort to win when usually? :D

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes, it was a great show. Zillion of rollers. And it seems that this time Adam put some more effort to win when usually? :D
Adam always puts in effort to win. His style just doesn't register with what most people think is serious table tennis. But one of the reasons that people don't let like Adam is because it is a hard style.

Lin was just way too strong for it to matter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
The feeling to land almost every around the net shot is ridiculous

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
how about the around the net roller with a hand switch at 4:15? :cool:

That was an amazing shot (BUT it also shows how for a decent player an around the net shot is not that out of this world if you have the right set up ball.)