Are tournaments and leagues running in your Country?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
In Sweden tournaments for the youngsters started in the beginning of August and the old farts will have the first tournaments this coming weekend. There's still a cap of 50 people at a public gathering so the tournaments will be way more small scale than normal.

Leagues will kick off at the end of this months unless the authorities says otherwise.

Reactions: thomas.pong and MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
many tournaments have been cancelled in Japan. Its not even sure the National Championships will be held next year in January

But...

I've played my first competition 2 weeks ago, a Tokyo League semi-annual team tournament.
And our local semi-annual team tournament has been rescheduled from July to next month...

I hope it will not be cancelled. Fingers crossed

For the tournament I played, they splitted the events among 2 dates and more venues. Many teams forfeited.
They also changed the rules: no doubles, no court change between sets.

Reactions: thomas.pong and MOG

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I live in a fairly rural area, we have been very lucky locally throughout the whole epidemic.

I feel for you, I know it has been very hard in some of the more densely populated cities of the world.
Let's hope we can all get back to something normal sooner rather than later!!

You'd have to be insane to try it where I live. I envy my fellow forum members where things are more under control.

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Leagues that I play in are not really saying much. Still awaiting advice from TTE. One league has sent out a basic questionnaire asking clubs how many of their members are still willing to play matches, so the league can evaluate how many teams are likely to be competing and in which division, so they are starting to gear up for a possible re-start soon. The other league hasn’t really done much at all!.

There’s one training session I played at 2 weeks ago, but only because a person had dropped out.
reduced capacity - only 4 tables instead of 8, and only 1 session instead of 2, so it’s really running at 1/4 capacity.

Another consideration is the club venues - there are a lot of one table, small halls, so it’s going to be difficult to implement the social distancing measures, as normally the Non playing participants would be sitting close to each other watching the others play.
Some halls don’t have the space to separate people, and let’s face it, you play to play but also watch your team mates as well. it’s definitely going to be ‘different’!!!!

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
290px-The_Triumph_of_Death_by_Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder.jpg

The Black Death (also known as the Pestilence, the Great Mortality, or the Plague) was the deadliest pandemic recorded in human history. The Black Death resulted in the deaths of up to 75–200 million people in Eurasia and North Africa, peaking in Europe from 1347 to 1351. Plague, the disease caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis, was the cause.
The Black Death was the beginning of the second plague pandemic. The plague created religious, social, and economic upheavals, with profound effects on the course of European history.

Yes, likewise the virulent Plague of the past, COVID 19 did overwhelmed human civilization in every scope of life, making all the table tennis folks unhappy, vexed and sickly ones. Luckily, Russia and China got some vaccine to protect peoples of the virusal attacks.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Our club just restarted the Sunday League today. We have order to have face covering on at all time even during play. Limited 20 people so others who are not in the league have to leave the facility.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
league plays have started in Germany last weekend.

In most states there will be no doubles allowed. There is a maximum capacity of people in the sports facility, depending on how big the arena is. Masks are required, if you can't keep the distance of 1.5meters, all clubs have to clean tables after every match and provide enough hand santiziser.

Its a little weired right now, but it is definetly better than no sports at all.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Oh yes its certainly going to be different and not the same, I still think league play is a while off in the UK for a lot of those points made.

My comment was more around it was great to be able to have a session (at reduced capacity and tables) and hit some balls finally. You almost forget how much you miss something when you cant do it.

Reactions: IB66
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
cache.php

Yes, likewise the virulent Plague of the past, COVID 19 did overwhelmed human civilization in every scope of life, making all the table tennis folks unhappy, vexed and sickly ones. Luckily, Russia and China got some vaccine to protect peoples of the virusal attacks.

Vaccines that have not undergone clinical trial. So its not known if they work. Hopefully they do. But right now its not known.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...13779a-e5be-11ea-bf44-0d31c85838a5_story.html

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Oh yes its certainly going to be different and not the same, I still think league play is a while off in the UK for a lot of those points made.

My comment was more around it was great to be able to have a session (at reduced capacity and tables) and hit some balls finally. You almost forget how much you miss something when you cant do it.

Yeah it was great to actually play again!!! I was lucky to get the opportunity!!
I got so ragged off during lockdown!!!
i was hitting balls on a round dining table and wall (with wood chip wall paper) just to actually hit some balls!! Also did the exercise with empty plastic bottle (without its cap) then trying to play topspin brush stroke without knocking the bottle over. All that sort of stuff!!
Ended up selling a shed load of fishing tackle and bought a table and robot !! So I could do some proper practicing. Even that was hard work, all factories making tables had shut down and basically the worldwide stock of Reasonably priced tables had been snapped up by frustrated table tennis players :D:D eventually managed to get a table from Sponeta.
So I’ve been lucky to be able to keep playing and practice, so many people have been unable to do anything at all.

i feel for those not so fortunate as myself, and just hope we can get through this pandemic, adapt and start playing with some sort of normality again !!

the most important stage of the national tournament was postponed, the TMB Challenges that are worth less points in the national ranking as well. The National School Games (athletes up to 17 years old) was totally canceled. It will only be done next year. As the stages of the Nationals have been postponed, there is no reason to have local competitions here where I live, other than the governor having banned it in my state. the only competition I could play in would be my club's monthly tournament, and they won't.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Had some more feedback about the local leagues / clubs I play in for,

SHAW league - looking like no matches until 2021!! They are looking at 2 man teams, venue size is a real issue regarding social distancing.
One club - venue is good regarding size an ability to social distance, but the owner's are not willing to open the venue. It's a social club for a multi-national company, they can't risk an outbreak happening.

So it's still looking grim as far as league play is concerned.

on a more positive note, it looks like training/social play in larger venues is now beginning to filter through, reduced numbers of participants.