What is the tackiest hard-sponge rubber?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I have been trying a few chinese style rubbers, D09c, aibiss, battle II, and PF4. The d09c is neither hard nor tacky and I like it the least of the four. The other three are good to very good. The 49° Battle is by far tackiest, but it's kind of soft and fast.

If it exists I'd like to find a rubber tackier than Battle II and with a harder sponge, like 55° - 60° on ESN scale. Is there one?

That's some serious hardness you are looking for.

Globe 999, I have been told is very tacky, but I don't know about it's hardness.

H3 (untuned, so not neo) might be in your ballpark, there's not too much around that's significantly tackier, and it's pretty hard. I'm told the commercial version is actually tackier than provincial/nat.

If that's still not hard enough for you, see if you can find any of the old H2 rubbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls

Ray

This user has no status.

Ray

This user has no status.
Sep 2018
New Donic BlueGrip C1 has tacky top sheet and 60° sponge. Rakza Extra Hard sponge is around 55° (actually, 52-57° according to Yasaka).

Battle III has also been announced recently, but I don't have any information regarding its properties.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+2]THREE SECRETS OF MAKING CHINESE STICKY RUBBERS.[/size]

[size=+1]
Actually, there are three known ways for producing table tennis rubber sheets with tacky surface.
Very specific technologies, unique technologies.

1) As is a common knowledge with all table tennis folks, tennis rubber must be durable and elastic to project the ball forcefully, and the smooth side of the topsheet must be grippy to better spin the ball. In the year 1972, Chinese Friendship manufactory presented a novelty rubber material producing a really tacky and clammy feeling to the touch. And the Europeans can't make such rubber so far.
The most popular technology to produce the tacky rubber is the "incomplete vulcanization" effect. The whole mass of rubber is heated to 120*Celsius while the outer surface is only heated to 70*Celsius. Thus, the external part of rubber sheet (a finest layer of hundredths of a millimeter) retains similarity to a raw rubber material, i.e. it is very sticky.
The disadvantage of this technology is obvious. The stickiness fades as the outer layer wears out. For example, Hurricane DHS rubbers.

2) 29-06-2020 12:20:00
Another Chinese rubber technology is using special rubber blends to which liquid chemicals of Nitrosamines are introduced. This method was first invented by the American engineer Henry Fischer in 1934.
Fischer's rubbers are easy to recognize just by sniffing -- it would deliver a loud smell of rotten fish and the pimples inside would be tacky as much as the outer surface of the sheet. The best pleasure you get with Fischer's rubber -- the grippiness is never to fade. Double Fish manufacturer of China is now employing Fischer's Formula in making many rubber products of their own.

3) and lastly, the most ingenious Chinese technology is the two-layer topsheet, having the outer layer of adhesive silicone material. Speaking to all honesty, this is an innovation of dubious legality that does not comply with the ITTF rules at all. Just purchase a sample and tear off the outer laminate. See the photo.

PS // The old good wisdom is just in place here :
— None racket plays by itself. A player does play with a racket in his hand.

H35VkS8bV2M.jpg

PHOTO: Composite rubber topsheet, two rubber layers incorporated

/Be happy/

[/size]
@Translation empowered by the Google Engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls and Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Im using the new Nittaku Zieger 50 rubber.
Its very tacky and can easily lift the ball from table.
It has sublime spin and is a super looping rubber

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
With the advent of picking different colors than just red and black, I've found gluing used condoms to Hurricane 3 has brought my game to a whole new level. It's the next big thing in table tennis. So sticky!

Reactions: driversbeat

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Globe 999, I have been told is very tacky, but I don't know about it's hardness.

Globe 999 is two for $10 on aliexpress and says 44-45°.
That is definitely worth a try.

Tau II is $36 for one, will save that idea and Bluegrip C1 for later.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

says Footwork footwork footwork
I haven’t tried any of the mentioned rubbers, but the hardest and tackiest rubbers I’ve used are: DHS skyline TG2 Neo (2.2 40deg) and Nittaku Hurricane 3 Pro Turbo Orange. I guess the “Blue” version is even harder- but I have no experience playing with it.

The TG2 has higher spin with my strokes @ higher input shots, but also a bit more controlled and manageable (throw angle and trajectory) than the H3PTO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Been 8 years since I tried it, but DHS G888 is harder and tackier than 999. Back in the day it was THE tackiest rubber. Not sure how Skyline compares.

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
[size=+2]THREE SECRETS OF MAKING CHINESE STICKY RUBBERS.[/size]

[size=+1]
Actually, there are three known ways for producing table tennis rubber sheets with tacky surface.
Very specific technologies, unique technologies.

1) As is a common knowledge with all table tennis folks, tennis rubber must be durable and elastic to project the ball forcefully, and the smooth side of the topsheet must be grippy to better spin the ball. In the year 1972, Chinese Friendship manufactory presented a novelty rubber material producing a really tacky and clammy feeling to the touch. And the Europeans can't make such rubber so far.
The most popular technology to produce the tacky rubber is the "incomplete vulcanization" effect. The whole mass of rubber is heated to 120*Celsius while the outer surface is only heated to 70*Celsius. Thus, the external part of rubber sheet (a finest layer of hundredths of a millimeter) retains similarity to a raw rubber material, i.e. it is very sticky.
The disadvantage of this technology is obvious. The stickiness fades as the outer layer wears out. For example, Hurricane DHS rubbers.

2) 29-06-2020 12:20:00
Another Chinese rubber technology is using special rubber blends to which liquid chemicals of Nitrosamines are introduced. This method was first invented by the American engineer Henry Fischer in 1934.
Fischer's rubbers are easy to recognize just by sniffing -- it would deliver a loud smell of rotten fish and the pimples inside would be tacky as much as the outer surface of the sheet. The best pleasure you get with Fischer's rubber -- the grippiness is never to fade. Double Fish manufacturer of China is now employing Fischer's Formula in making many rubber products of their own.

3) and lastly, the most ingenious Chinese technology is the two-layer topsheet, having the outer layer of adhesive silicone material. Speaking to all honesty, this is an innovation of dubious legality that does not comply with the ITTF rules at all. Just purchase a sample and tear off the outer laminate. See the photo.

PS // The old good wisdom is just in place here :
— None racket plays by itself. A player does play with a racket in his hand.

H35VkS8bV2M.jpg

PHOTO: Composite rubber topsheet, two rubber layers incorporated

/Be happy/

[/size]
@Translation empowered by the Google Engine.
This is just good info... Thanks so h3 is using the third method then.... Or?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
The tackiest rubber I have played with was Apollo. The first batch was extremely tacky and could hold a ball up for most of a minute, but the next batches were an awful disappointment. The sponge wasn't that hard from what I remember from about 2010. There was a review of Apollo on YouTube made by two Japanese guys. The hardest sponge was on SST Pro Team ( god favor ) I got from zero pong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
3) and lastly, the most ingenious Chinese technology is the two-layer topsheet, having the outer layer of adhesive silicone material. Speaking to all honesty, this is an innovation of dubious legality that does not comply with the ITTF rules at all. Just purchase a sample and tear off the outer laminate.

Yinhe Jupiter 2 is produced in this technology, I managed to wear parts of the top sticky layer. Also I would like to add that said rubber after re-stretching (after factory glue wore off and I did the baby oil treatment) that rubber held ball longer than I bothered to test, no matter the blade orientation (180deg, 270 and 90 sideways), it lasted more than 10 minutes after which I got bored and took the ball of the rubber.