Carbon Blades Adaption

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Dear MOG,

in my career I've used blades that were like extension of my hand immediately and also used some blades that needed some adjustment. Some are easy some are hard. What was common is that in all of the cases I needed more than 10 hours to fully adjust (some times more). Based on that experience, I urge you to give yourself time. If you see that some elements are worse than previous gear, just keep the practice those elements exactly. Try different things. Consult pros (with videos or personally) or coaches you know. All that elements are powered with skill only, gear just helps in certain situations. If your technique is ish, no gear will help.

You posted that you bought Ma Lin Carbon like 4 days ago. That's short time. Give your blade and yourself more time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
is that some players can never play with carbon??
Our current Polish Cup winner Jakub Dyjas, in his last interview, said that he won't play with carbon, and he uses Clipper clone. (he won silver in juniors doubles 2016 Budapest) So I believe that even on the top level you don't need a carbon blade. It's mostly the skill that matters.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
If you have been playing for 40 years and truly cannot control a basic carbon blade, then I think you have your answer there. Or maybe it is in your head.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Our current Polish Cup winner Jakub Dyjas, in his last interview, said that he won't play with carbon, and he uses Clipper clone. (he won silver in juniors doubles 2016 Budapest) So I believe that even on the top level you don't need a carbon blade. It's mostly the skill that matters.

There are a few wood users in the top rankings, i.e. Calderano, Gauzy, Niwa, Dyjas, Takuya Jin... but the vast majority of offensive top players use carbon in some form. That being said, trends amongst people who are playing a totally different game than the rest of us doesn't dictate what might be the best choice for an individual person with their own unique preferences and abilities.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I don't meet your eight year time, but I played very slow five ply wood for most of six years and then changed to acoustic carbon when i switched my bh to moristo. I hated carbon blades, they felt like a frying pan. I could play with them at the same level, just didn't like the feeling. Exceptions were tb zlf which is not carbon, and now the acoustic which is some weird nitakku carbon not alc or zlc. After a year and a bit with the acoustic carbon i love it and would not go back to all wood.

Your ML carbon i believe is carbon fleece which is also very woody feeling and less stiff than most.

With the pips i tried a couple seven plys including the force pro blue you used before. I have never hated a blade or found it as unplayable as that one.

The bottom line is you will adapt to any blade if you give it time and once adapted you will play your level. Your level is 99.9% independent of the blade you happen to use. But some blades may feel nicer to you. Use one of those.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
BRS, Kuba and Zyu what is your level?
Local league player, training with province cadets. (kids 13-16 y/o who train six 6y/o) I will post footage whenever Joola robot arrives. Training with them boosted my level. Those kids are really strong and improving fast. I sometimes beat one or two of them, but since they now train 3x a day I doubt I will catch them...

Are you better players than me?
We can settle that whenever we will have an opportunity to play each other ;)

Edit:

I would like to also add that training with them cured my EJ. Those kids have one decent blade (most often Tibhar Lebeson / Curious) and pair of MX-P or EL-P MX-P. They don't bother with choosing equipment, they just do bucket after bucket of multi-ball training and match after a match (with pushups penalty lolz), and they improve so fast. It was an eye-opening experience for me. That was what motivated me to practice daily, and focus on how I train, focus on my diet (at least in the training days and prior). Time spent on the table does not matter. 2hrs of multi-ball training with a coach gave me more skill than 6 months of just playing in a local league.

It may be an unpopular opinion and you may roast me, that's fine. I believe that the local league is for proving what you know and honing your tactics, the home may be the place when you learn the moves by shadowing, and training hall with a friend/robot (preferably with a coach) with a bucketful of balls is where you apply the technique in practice. Table tennis is a really hard sport.

During my short learning period I learned that you have to have absolute control of your muscles to do strokes properly. You have to manage your energy (when I am out of juice, the only thing I can do block, I can't move my body to execute loop...). I learned to judge my errors by the way how my stroke sound. It has a lot of very complex connections that are hard to identify by yourself, and that is one of the roles that coach poses.

Sry If you understood my post as schooling you and telling you play bad. I didn't mean to do that.

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
BRS particularly do you still use pimples, are you better than me?

None taken. I still use moristo sp bh May was two years and I have zero plans to change. I actually feel like I am beginning to learn how to use them as pips and not weak inverted. A career pips player (speedy on another forum) told me when we played last fall it takes five years to fully learn, so I feel like I am on track with that.

My USATT rating is 1921, but it's old so take it fwiw. My high rating is 2046, my personal guess of how I play now is a little better than my rating but not close to my best rating either. Maybe 1970 or smth.

Here is the most recent match video I have, almost a year old now. I am the scrawby right handed one with tape on my knees. Opponent plays lp bh. This is not my best by any stretch, nor worst. Typical play then. Later in 2019 I played a lot of league in DC with better players and mt level went back around 2050. Now I haven't played but for a robot in five months, so who knows? You tell me, am I better than you?
https://youtu.be/4MwCrMdUKc0

Reactions: JMC
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
BRS, Kuba and Zyu what is your level?

No offence!

Are you better players than me?

BRS particularly do you still use pimples, are you better than me?

No offense taken, and no offense intended the other way - I am a significantly better player than you are. I don't particularly wish to post footage at this time so you can choose whether you wish to believe me or not.

Not a pips player.

Reactions: MOG
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
None taken. I still use moristo sp bh May was two years and I have zero plans to change. I actually feel like I am beginning to learn how to use them as pips and not weak inverted. A career pips player (speedy on another forum) told me when we played last fall it takes five years to fully learn, so I feel like I am on track with that.

My USATT rating is 1921, but it's old so take it fwiw. My high rating is 2046, my personal guess of how I play now is a little better than my rating but not close to my best rating either. Maybe 1970 or smth.

Here is the most recent match video I have, almost a year old now. I am the scrawby right handed one with tape on my knees. Opponent plays lp bh. This is not my best by any stretch, nor worst. Typical play then. Later in 2019 I played a lot of league in DC with better players and mt level went back around 2050. Now I haven't played but for a robot in five months, so who knows? You tell me, am I better than you?
https://youtu.be/4MwCrMdUKc0

Lots of spin, fast reaction time, good in match adjustments to opponent's deception, some nasty BH punches and smacks (one in particular where you were off camera and hit it cross court to the far corner was awesome) with the pips, evil serves loaded with spin, good deception on serves where top and back are fooling opponent to misjudge spin on serves. Solid play.

MOG, I would say, the amount of spin Brs and opponent are dealing should be the biggest giveaway. If you can't see and tell the difference in the amount of spin they are dealing, that would be worth you trying to understand.

There is one point where the ball hits the floor as Brs is trying to retrieve it after a loop and the ball shoots off away from him at high speed. That is a lot of spin on those loops. And that opponent is pretty deceptive and hard to handle. His loops are pretty darn good too.

That was fun to watch Brs. Thanks for posting.

Last edited: