Linear blades theory??

Linear blades are just easier than anything else to adapt to.

The faster carbon blades give you, potentially, a bit of top end power, and a bigger sweet spot so you can be a bit sloppy with contact, but they also take a lot of play to get the intuition to how exactly the bounce will react at each given power level.

With a linear blade, it takes a little bit of play to get used to it's general speed, but after that you pretty much have an idea in your head how much bounce you are going to get out of it at any speed.

The dream for everyone, of course, is to find a blade that gives you perfectly linear behaviour on touch, and a heck of a lot of power on big shots, and with a sweet spot that covers the whole surface area of the bat. But obviously there is always going to be some trade-off between these.

For someone who isn't hardcore training/multiballing all the time, and who switches equipment frequently, a linear blade is going to be by far the easiest sort of blade to reacquire 'the feel' for.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Mog, I am amused by all your numbers. When were you last calibrated?

Don't you think you are making too much of this linear blade theory?
You are chasing small stuff and ignoring the big stuff. Where you hit the ball on the paddle will make a huge differences in the result. This difference is much greater than hitting the ball in the sweet spot of a so called linear blade relative to a non-linear blade.

Very little in the real world is perfectly linear I doubt few could tell the difference.
What is an example of a linear blade? What is an example of a non-linear blade.

Also, I like my two Samsonov Alphas. I have two so I could compare rubbers when I was into that sort of thing.
Mine have straight handles so I could grip them in a vice and shoot TT balls into them.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To me what a lot of the posts on the pros and cons of different blades you have tried amount to is the fact that when you change equipment there are always tradeoffs. Some blades (or rubbers) help you do certain things better and not others.

It seems to me, most people just accept that, once they choose a piece of equipment or a setup, they will use what they have, accept the good aspects and work on technique to improve their skills in the aspects of the game that the equipment isn’t helping out as much.

The key element there is, at some point people will come to the idea that there are things they need to improve on so that they can use the equipment more advantageously.

Now it is true that many players of certain levels choose equipment that is totally not suitable for their needs and keep using it hoping to “grow into” the equipment. And clearly that is not you and you are not choosing equipment that isn’t acceptable to your needs.

But usually, what happens when someone settles on one thing that is within the range of acceptable for them, and works with it and trains with it and uses it for an extended period of time, like 3, 4, 5, 10.... years is that, over time they develop things they can do with that particular setup that is unique to how the setup sits in their hand and the familiarity gained from years of developing technique with that one piece of equipment.

So, I wonder if your indecision with your equipment choice and how you go back and forth between setups on such a regular basis is limiting your potential progress to some extent.

Each time you switch to something different that you like, for the first 3-4 weeks it seems you are focused on the things you can do with the new setup that you couldn’t do as well with the old. Then after that honeymoon period you start focusing on the things you could do with the previous setup that you are struggling with while using the new.

I guess it’s all good. But it is quite a merry-go-round that the whole forum is being taken on over and over in thread after thread when, really, the underlying content is much more similar than it is different.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Ejing isn't futile, it's fun. I'm doing it now with tacky chinese rubbers. Just don't imagine ejing will ever improve your playing level because it will not. But it's still fun. And relatively cheap compared to say, buying a boat.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl

if it encourages some of the shyer forum members to then voice their concerns and thoughts without fear of ridicule, surely this could still be a positive.

even if people just realise from my stupidity the futility of Ejing!!

I do agree with Brs that EJing can be fun if that is how you are doing it. It just seems that there are a lot of threads where, the bottom line is, you are comparing what you can do better with different equipment as though the different equipment might change your playing skills.

There is nothing wrong with saying, I tried this blade, it did xyz. This blade did zyx. This other blade did yzx. I like how this blade feels; this blade gives a Big crunch on power loops. This one has a nice soft feeling. This one grabs the ball really hard.

But you do have dozens of threads where you seem to be searching for the holy grail of blades to fix some of the things that just need training to improve.

So, EJing can be totally fine. I never once criticized RokPhish for having, literally, 100s of blades. And he was happy trying all of them.

But what you are doing seems to me to be something that might be better sorted out with a coach and a lot of it seems like it is about the mental aspects of the game rather than about equipment. If a setup works well for you and you win one day and then it doesn’t work well for you and you lose against the same opponent, it might not actually be the equipment.