Wrist pain

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Hello,

well i habe pain on the exact part where the picture shows on my wrist.

Doctor didnt find anything and yeah so i ask here :D

extensor-carpi-ulnaris-schmerzen-540px-480x439.jpg

I think it is the Flexor carpi ulnaris or the extensor carpi ulnaris i dont know which one.

The Pain is if i want to Topspin and make my wrist down so it is straight and i can snip it up, i hope it is cleare what i mean, it hurts in this part.

Maybe some of you have an idea because pain is bad :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I agree with Kolev, best way is to rest. Did you practice intensely before the pain? I had a similar experience when playing a lot. Just play less intensely or take a break for a while. After the pain subsides try exercises like wrist extension, flexion and supination/pronation. Using grip strengthening tools also helps.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I got it in the past too when I came back. Stick with an elastic wrist band for a while and make sure you keep your wrist in straight line with your arm for about a month and you’ll be fine.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is very likely that this is a repetitive stress issue. Not that different than how people who type too much start getting a version of carpal tunnel syndrome. That the doctor did not find any structural damage makes this even more likely to be a repetitive stress issue.

If it is a repetative stress issue, then, the ligaments and tendons in that area of the hand/wrist are inflamed and the more you try to exercise it, the worse that will make it. If it is a more serious repetitive stress issue, it could take up to 6 months to heal. If it is not that bad yet, it won't take as long.

Start with a week off. Do not do the action that causes you to feel the pain for a week, maybe 10 days. Then test out and see how it feels. If it feels better, then, the next time it starts feeling aggravated rest again.

If after a week to 10 days, you still are having the problem, rest it for another 3 weeks and test again.

Usually we do not need to strengthen our wrists for normal actions. When your wrist is healthy, there is nothing wrong with doing exercises that will strengthen your wrists. But, if the issue is caused by a pattern of repetitive stress (performing a specific action too many times) then any attempt to exercise the area will cause further damage.

So, I would not recommend that until after your wrist is fully and completely better. So, in 3 to 6 months, if your wrist is totally better, you could start strengthening exercises.

This is the safest and most intelligent information I could give you without seeing you in person and giving you a series of tests to assess the cause of the pain.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I agree with Carl and Kolev. Rest it before you try anything else, including exercises. Otherwise tendons don't just get inflamed, they undergo degenerative changes. Trying to strengthen a muscle attached by a damaged tendon won't help. Damage to small tendons is not going to be easy to image so it's not surprising your doctor didnt find anything. The next thing I would consider is a handle change. If you use ST now, try FL or vice versa.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
coming from a similar injury from lawn tennis, I agree with the others, with tennis elbow , we tend to do the strengthening exercises when the inflamed or painful area has healed

says Aging is a killer
DrLevi Harrison#Fitness #Health #Gaming #gamers doctor

In another thread on this topic some years ago, a poster (Carl?), linked to videos by Dr Levi Harrison. He is a surgeon that puts a lot of emphasis on wrist exercises for Gamers.
I found this video to be very relevant for TT players, but have a look at his other videos that you may find helpful.

I try to do the warm-up part every day

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Besides rest, putting ice on it is the other obvious, do no harm advice. Sorry if somebody already said.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
It is very likely that this is a repetitive stress issue. Not that different than how people who type too much start getting a version of carpal tunnel syndrome. That the doctor did not find any structural damage makes this even more likely to be a repetitive stress issue.

If it is a repetative stress issue, then, the ligaments and tendons in that area of the hand/wrist are inflamed and the more you try to exercise it, the worse that will make it. If it is a more serious repetitive stress issue, it could take up to 6 months to heal. If it is not that bad yet, it won't take as long.

Start with a week off. Do not do the action that causes you to feel the pain for a week, maybe 10 days. Then test out and see how it feels. If it feels better, then, the next time it starts feeling aggravated rest again.

If after a week to 10 days, you still are having the problem, rest it for another 3 weeks and test again.

Usually we do not need to strengthen our wrists for normal actions. When your wrist is healthy, there is nothing wrong with doing exercises that will strengthen your wrists. But, if the issue is caused by a pattern of repetitive stress (performing a specific action too many times) then any attempt to exercise the area will cause further damage.

So, I would not recommend that until after your wrist is fully and completely better. So, in 3 to 6 months, if your wrist is totally better, you could start strengthening exercises.

This is the safest and most intelligent information I could give you without seeing you in person and giving you a series of tests to assess the cause of the pain.

I had the exact same injury last year, it's an inflamation of the flexor Ulnaris due to repetitive stress.
In my case it only hurted when I did backhand loops and flicks I use the wrist a lot then.

It's best that you rest a lot and get physical therapy to make the blood flow in the wrist so it will heal faster.
I kept playing table tennis with it but I didn't use any of the moves like backhand loops or flicks that would cause pain. I just played carefully and always stopped when I felt pain.

All in all it took about a year before it was completely gone, don't expect this to go away fast.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Well the pain is sometimes there.
On monday i used this and a fascia roll.440px-Gyrotwister.jpg

Then in training i jused 45 min normal shakehand and after that 45 min my penholder racket.

I had no pain at all with penholder and shakehand was okay too i think but penholder feeled better.

Maybe time to switch to penholder xD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I had the same injury spot on my wrist... How did I fix it? Well, I now use pips on the backhand!

Never did heal entirely, and still cannot use the backhand flick/loop movements without it popping again. Physical therapy and all that proved useless for me. Point being: be careful with it or face seemingly life long repercussions!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And, the point to be learned from the posts from people who felt they had a similar injury and tried to play through it is that:

If you have a repetitive stress injury and try to continue doing the activity that caused the repetitive stress, you will prolong the length of the injury. If you prolong it long enough it turns from a single event over weeks to a chronic injury that lasts for years.

The first order of treatment in a repetitive stress injury is to rest it until the tissue has time to repair. Ligaments and tendons take considerably longer to repair than muscles because there is far less vascular flow (blood flow) to the tissue and therefore the tissue gets much less nutrients for tissue repair than muscle would. And if you read what Baal wrote, when what Baal describes happens, which is when the problem turns into a chronic injury, it is much harder to have it get better.

Rest now. Rest and every so often, test if it is improving. Stop as soon as you feel the issue.

Above I said rest one week to 10 days and test. If it is still aggravated rest it another 3 weeks and test. After that, test it once a month until it really does feel better.

But rest is the most important part of damage to ligaments and tendons and helping a repetitive stress injury heal and repair. Repetitive stress = overuse. The way to handle an overuse issue is not to perform the action that caused the overuse.

Rest.

When it feels better you can talk about exercises to help strengthen things back up again.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A famous dude on the best TT forum ever (that is not running now) had a wrist injury, switched to penhold, and was doing banana flips with it before banana was a thing.

If you have a stretched or tore up tendon, it will not heal as fast as a muscle fiber.

It sounds like 3rd grade stuff, but if you are doing something that hurts it, stop doing it and get it well before doing it.

Massage is good treatment. It gets blood moving more and your blood has stuff in it to heal you. There are certain far-infrared wraps that will put that frequency that will get down well below skin and make more blood flow - that speed things up. There are certain laser treatments if you have the money.

Once injury is healed to a certain extent, it is time to rehab within limits. You bust a limit, you slid down the chute back to square zero, so don't go apeshyt.

Ultimately, my forum friend stayed with C-Pen grip and a banana BH since it did not use that area of his wrist that hurt and he has been healed for a decade plus.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A famous dude on the best TT forum ever (that is not running now) had a wrist injury, switched to penhold, and was doing banana flips with it before banana was a thing.

If you have a stretched or tore up tendon, it will not heal as fast as a muscle fiber.

It sounds like 3rd grade stuff, but if you are doing something that hurts it, stop doing it and get it well before doing it.

Massage is good treatment. It gets blood moving more and your blood has stuff in it to heal you. There are certain far-infrared wraps that will put that frequency that will get down well below skin and make more blood flow - that speed things up. There are certain laser treatments if you have the money.

Once injury is healed to a certain extent, it is time to rehab within limits. You bust a limit, you slid down the chute back to square zero, so don't go apeshyt.

Ultimately, my forum friend stayed with C-Pen grip and a banana BH since it did not use that area of his wrist that hurt and he has been healed for a decade plus.

Sorry about this Der. But when someone does not understand the issue, in a post like this, it can be more damaging to listen to the advice.

If the tissue damage was a tear, and a Doctor gave the tear a grade number, the doctor would have found the tear in the examination AND, there would have been a notable trauma incident that precipitated the damage.

Like, when you messed up your shoulder, you knew exactly the event that caused the damage. And ROTATOR CUFF MUSCLES ARE MUSCLES. THEY ARE NOT LIGAMENTS OR TENDONS even though they perform a function as if they were a ligament.

But regardless of what kind of damage, if it is damage in the wrist and it is damage to connective tissue like ligaments and tendons, EVEN THINGS LIKE MASSAGE are not what you should be doing until the inflammation in the tissue is not as bad and until the tissue itself has done a very decent amount of healing. So, 3 to 6 months.

The main thing is rest. And that is why the people who try to play through these things so frequently end up with nagging chronic injuries that last years.

Rest. Hot and cold applications are fine. Some anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen before sleep could help it heal faster.

But I would not try most of the well meant exercises most people have posted here until it is 98% better. Which means, you wait and you rest.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I heard this quote recently in a totally different context. But it sort of seems to apply here.

"Someone who does not know anything might not know anything. But someone with a little knowledge can sometimes be downright dangerous."

Without tests that show exactly what is going on with the wrist, the best choice is to rest your wrist until the area does not bother you when you do the action that causes the pain.

Reactions: ttarc and Richie