Dang Qiu

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Looks really good in that Düsseldorf masters Series. At 23 yo he seems to have improved a lot, last Year he was one of the weaker bundesliga players but this series he has really dominated.

https://youtu.be/8sGf-gLrLDI
Obviously no Chinese players and also not all the top euro players either but he has beaten dima for example.

Now covid means some players are not in top form but his game seems to have gotten better, the German penhold player with Chinese parents had a good RPB but also now got more zip on the FH and a solid block game.

I doubt he will ever beat the top Chinese and probably won't reach timo' s level either but in the current weak Europe I could see him becoming European champion.

What do you think? Can he at least become a top euro player? Might already be the best non Chinese penhold player currently.

says Footwork footwork footwork
I agree that he seems to be getting stronger. I like his calm style. He’s got a solid RPB and a very precise forehand attack.

I think I prefer his game to Wong Chun Ting. I’m not sure if he could consistently beat any of the top Chinese, but it would be fun to watch him play Xu Xin, Xu Fei or Zhao Zihao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Power of love

RAlM12j.jpg

AYMVvcc.jpg

DgE8GGl.jpg

She has always known he is the One, for her name is 先知/Hsien-tzu(prophet).

Reactions: Ray and Janard
Dang Qiu, is one of the players that i enjoy watching all the games, especially because i also play penhold, i am very inspired by his rpb technique. indeed, over the years he has improved a lot, his FH is much more solid, and he is finishing the points in the games faster with his strength.</pre>

I agree that he seems to be getting stronger. I like his calm style. He’s got a solid RPB and a very precise forehand attack.

I think I prefer his game to Wong Chun Ting. I’m not sure if he could consistently beat any of the top Chinese, but it would be fun to watch him play Xu Xin, Xu Fei or Zhao Zihao!

At this point, his game has definitely surpassed Wong Chung Ting's. Especially his touch and forehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Interesting that German players seem to mature a bit later on than most countries. I'm thinking of all the Japanese/Chinese 18 year olds who legitimately challenge for top 30 world ranking positions. Even the French players seem to be ahead of the Germans at the younger age categories.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Dang seems to have improved quite a Bit, recently beating Falck and kanak jha easily in the bundesliga. He only made second round in the worlds but went 7 sets again liang jingkun.

he is not super young of course at 25 so his upside is probably a bit limited but I think he could reach like 10-12 in the world at his peak level.

btw is he playing jpen or Cpen?

I read he plays jpen but isn't this here more like a Cpen?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWpTDpcsIFP/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Dominikk85; 359116Dang parece ter melhorado um pouco, recentemente derrotando Falck e kanak jha facilmente na bundesliga. Ele só fez o segundo turno nos mundos, mas fez 7 sets novamente, liang jingkun.

ele não é super jovem, claro, aos 25, então sua vantagem é provavelmente um pouco limitada, mas eu acho que ele poderia atingir algo como 10-12 no mundo em seu nível máximo.

btw ele está jogando jpen ou Cpen?

Eu li que ele toca jpen, mas isso aqui não é mais parecido com um Cpen?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWpTDpcsIFP/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

he used jpen until 2016, after this year he is using cpen.

Reactions: Dominikk85
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
He’s certainly a very enjoyable player to watch. Not too bad at doubles either!

Interestingly, he also seems to have been one the first top penholders to adapt fully to the new, two winged, close to the table, hit-off-the-bounce drive style. Perhaps it’s a bit left over from his Jpen days, or not…Wong Chun Ting also has kind of but he’s very mercurial and peaked quite late in his career, so he probably won’t be around for very long.

He’s impressive and I hope he develops well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think a disadvantage of modern penhold is passive backhand play, especially backhand block close to the body.

TPB is actually strong there but RBP block really isn't but you can't really switch quickly between RBP block and TPB block.

MA lin mostly played TPB especially on passive play and only occasionally RPB but the modern penholders only play with backhand side. That makes their rally backhand stronger but passive play is tougher.

Shakehand backhand is easier to adjust blade and and play active spin or passive block

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Felix Lebrun is probably the most hopefully penholder for the future

Yeah I think lebrun is the biggest problem talent for penhold out there.

I think dang and Felix are very important for the future of penhold game. If one of them developes Into a "semi threat" to the Chinese (say like Dima or Timo level who are not quite a threat but good enough to be taken seriously) the Chinese will continue to develope a few kids into penholders if anything just to have a sparring partner for the shakehand kids.

But if both dang and Felix fail to become at least like top10-15 level the Chinese might just as well stop teaching penhold at all like it already happened in Japan and Korea and then penhold game might die completely

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
The problem is, the edge penhold had over shakehand is diminishing. Felix and Qiu are playing like shakehanders.

Only Xu Xin is playing like a true penholders with the hallmarks of various short games, FH side flick and BH push techniques (in the past). Without these techniques unique to penhold play, penholders might all switch to shakehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Couldn't in theory a player do both and have the two winged topspin attack like dang and Felix and still enjoy advantages in short game and maybe serve game?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Nice win by dang over moregard.

it's interesting they almost play reversed roles, SH player moregard scores with good FH and blocks with BH and penholder dang scores a lot with BH to BH rallies:)?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Couldn't in theory a player do both and have the two winged topspin attack like dang and Felix and still enjoy advantages in short game and maybe serve game?
It’s not a theory. Wang Hao was exactly what you describe. I believe if prime Wang Hao was playing now, he’d still be at least in the top 10 (if not 5).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
It’s not a theory. Wang Hao was exactly what you describe. I believe if prime Wang Hao was playing now, he’d still be at least in the top 10 (if not 5).

Yeah of course, if he was still playing he probably would have top 10 level but probably not in china as he wouldn't make CNT past ma long, FZD, XX and WCQ and LJK.

But if timo can be top10 at 40 wang hao peobably could be at 38.

I think a penholder still could be number 1, XX was number 1 just 2 years ago but it took him forever to get his RPB to a good enough level and by that time his body started to decline.

Maybe the guys like lebrun who start as kids with RPB and just that learn RPB quicker but on the other hand lebrun already has a world class RPB but he is lacking the FH strength and pivot footwork of traditional penholders.

Maybe if XX had a better RPB earlier he would have been lazier and had a worse pivot footwork because he would have played just backhand.