Dang Qiu

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
It’s not a theory. Wang Hao was exactly what you describe. I believe if prime Wang Hao was playing now, he’d still be at least in the top 10 (if not 5).

I think you're not being generous enough. Prime Wang Hao as he was No 1 back in his time, very well could be No 1 today too. In fact in his time the top 10 was even stronger than today. There are like 3-4 players in top 10 now I bet even at 38 he could beat if he was still active.
Look at Hao Shuai, he's butchering pretty much everyone in T league and the guy can barely walk anymore and is around 38 too...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014

I think you're not being generous enough. Prime Wang Hao as he was No 1 back in his time, very well could be No 1 today too. In fact in his time the top 10 was even stronger than today. There are like 3-4 players in top 10 now I bet even at 38 he could beat if he was still active.
Look at Hao Shuai, he's butchering pretty much everyone in T league and the guy can barely walk anymore and is around 38 too...

Yes i rate Wang Hao very high, one of my fav players, but since it’s only in theory, i want to keep it as realistic as possible. Well he could have trouble with FZD and ML (who has improved a lot since 2011-2013 when he lost important matches against WH). So top 5 is likely and top 10 is no doubt (for me).

This user has no status.

The decline in average skill level of top ten players is interesting. I think it might be because of the older generation declining, and the new generation not as ready to take over. From my POV, the society here in China has noticeably less enthusiasm for TT as in the 2000s and the early 2010s. Less classmates play, and the schools don’t push it as much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

The decline in average skill level of top ten players is interesting. I think it might be because of the older generation declining, and the new generation not as ready to take over. From my POV, the society here in China has noticeably less enthusiasm for TT as in the 2000s and the early 2010s. Less classmates play, and the schools don’t push it as much.

Well I guess the same phenomena as everywhere else just a bit delayed? Kids enjoying their consoles too much, and there is no replay or ragequiting in sports. And it's sweaty and hot and cold, you're not drinking with your best buds, your mom nags you about dirty clothes etc...
But not just tabletennis, it's a common thing with all sports, but some sports are still more attractive since even if you suck you can earn good money. (like football)

• Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Dang had a really good season in the bundesliga only having like two or three losses or so all year.

He also just beat dima in the final of the lima contender tournament after being down 0 2 in sets.
https://youtu.be/XnHqOdOxinw

Not sure if dima is at 100% again after his severe ankle injury last fall but an impressive win nonetheless, he is approaching top10 in the world.

That RPB punch block he uses is really impressive too, he improved a lot in that regard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
2 years ago I said he is the top talent and he was at the time in the ranking around 100th place. Dang Qiu 's style probably makes him more consistent and less prone to injuries and he gets top level treatment from Germany trainers. I had wars with my ex friend that he think Kulczycki will be better than Kay Stumper....no way.Kay Stumper if he won't get injuries he will be another one because.. Danny Heister is magician and if he gets someone to the club= super talent

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Dang had a really good season in the bundesliga only having like two or three losses or so all year.

He also just beat dima in the final of the lima contender tournament after being down 0 2 in sets.
https://youtu.be/XnHqOdOxinw

Not sure if dima is at 100% again after his severe ankle injury last fall but an impressive win nonetheless, he is approaching top10 in the world.

That RPB punch block he uses is really impressive too, he improved a lot in that regard.

Indeed very interesting to see where Dang will go/become.
He will get a spot on Team Germany going forward for sure.
But is he Top 10 or Top 20 quality awaits to be seen.

With the adjustment of world ranking points allocation, which requires a lot of time to correct itself, he would benefit a lot while it is happening.
But the moment top 20s become back into top 20s, it will be a lot more crowded and seeding/bad seeding would come into play and that is what ITTF/WTT is trying to fix with this weekly world ranking (allow chances for others to become seeds)

The whole idea of WTT having 2 tournaments (of same status) in different countries in the same time to me is still weird.
Dang went to the easier Lima, if he had gone to Zagreg, he would not have gotten so much points.
Dang could just be one the lucky players with the new WTT and getting higher world ranking/better seeding, where maybe in yester years, he would not.
So there could still be a plus to how the way things are done - giving players like Dang a chance to shine.

Having said that, world ranking is becoming even further away from a true ranking. It has become even more of a math quiz.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Getting a spot on team germany is still not easy for him because Franziska is at a similar level. It depends on how long Timos body holds up, he recently had a lot of injuries.

Franziska and dang could be a tough battle for a spot in the team at world and european championships, currently dang is ranked 10th and franziska 13th, in their most recent match in the bundesliga final Franz narrowly beat dang 3 to 2 in sets.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Getting a spot on team germany is still not easy for him because Franziska is at a similar level. It depends on how long Timos body holds up, he recently had a lot of injuries.

Franziska and dang could be a tough battle for a spot in the team at world and european championships, currently dang is ranked 10th and franziska 13th, in their most recent match in the bundesliga final Franz narrowly beat dang 3 to 2 in sets.

Is it spot of 3 or 5?
I was thinking of 5.
Dima and Boll is guaranteed. Boll will play till he is 60.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Are there 5 spots at team worlds and euros? Do all 5 actively play or are they alternates in case of injury?

5 players for teams event (min of 3, some poorer/less funded nations, might only send 3 or 4 players)

How they play, who plays etc, depends on the coach/team.
Some will use rotation, so everyone plays, some would purely be bench warmers.
I guess players form (and injury) plays a role with who plays more or not

Looks really good in that Düsseldorf masters Series. At 23 yo he seems to have improved a lot, last Year he was one of the weaker bundesliga players but this series he has really dominated.

Obviously no Chinese players and also not all the top euro players either but he has beaten dima for example.

Now covid means some players are not in top form but his game seems to have gotten better, the German penhold player with Chinese parents had a good RPB but also now got more zip on the FH and a solid block game.

I doubt he will ever beat the top Chinese and probably won't reach timo' s level either but in the current weak Europe I could see him becoming European champion.

What do you think? Can he at least become a top euro player? Might already be the best non Chinese penhold player currently.
My man can you see the future?

Reactions: Dominikk85
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
My man can you see the future?
Probably got lucky:).

Does he have another gear in him?

He has developed really well but I feel one weakness is his RPB a bit away from the table.

He is really good at blocking and attacking at the table but I feel one issue is if he is pushed like 2 meters behind the table his Backhand gets kinda passive so you can pin him there.

Felix LeBron already is stronger in that regard.

I think dang needs to work on that aspect to be able to take a big hack with his RPB away from the table or in mid distance because right now he often loses the longer rallies against the top guys because they can pin him into the BH on mid distance rallies.