Tacky rubbers work on RPB?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Tacky Chinese rubbers in their softer versions like Hurricane 3 work on the reverse penhold backhand? if not, why? (I never had experience with tacky rubbers.)

I am also not very experienced but have recently discovered Hurricane 3 for myself.
I would however NOT consider them to be ""softer version"""

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Tacky Chinese rubbers in their softer versions like Hurricane 3 work on the reverse penhold backhand? if not, why? (I never had experience with tacky rubbers.)

Soft tacky rubber has high arc on RPB. If you use a soft flexible blade, it won’t work as the ball will fly high and far. Soft tacky rubber works well with hard blade such as Rosewood V, most outer ALC blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I don't play RPB anymore, but when I did, I found medium-ish rubbers work best for zippier open ups. Hard the get the most out of hard or tacky rubbers on the back. As Lodro said, softer Hurricanes are in fact noticeably hard than most ESN stuff.

Vega Asia can be had fairly cheap.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Something I find is a useful piece of info even though I don't play penhold: In 2011 Wang Hao was playing with a rubber that had a Sriver topsheet and a Bryce High Speed sponge on his RPB BH. What does that mean, a very simple, middle of the road rubber was good enough for the guy with the best RPB ever. Less may be more with RPB.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I don't play RPB anymore, but when I did, I found medium-ish rubbers work best for zippier open ups. Hard the get the most out of hard or tacky rubbers on the back. As Lodro said, softer Hurricanes are in fact noticeably hard than most ESN stuff.

Vega Asia can be hard fairly cheap.

Same profile photo!!! Big fan of RSM!